* Getting a new version of "patch" into cygwin
@ 2002-11-15 11:02 Robert_K_Cook
From: Robert_K_Cook @ 2002-11-15 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The official cygwin copy of Larry Wall's "patch" program is mired at
version 2.5.0 (which was released way back in 1997).  The currently
released version is 2.5.4 (which is still from 1999).  2.5.8 is available
from the ftp://alpha.gnu.org website

The main reason I'm mentioning is that 2.5.4 is necessary for "--posix"
switch which is what you sometimes need to get multi-directory CVS diff
files to work right as well as correcting a CR/LF issue I was running into.
I have been using 2.5.8 for a few months now and was using 2.5.4 for years
before that and haven't run into any problems.

So should I go about packaging this and get it out to everyone or should
somebody at RedHat just re-compile it and release the new version.  If it
is the former, where are instructions on how to do so.

I just downloaded it and ran "autoconf", "configure", and "make install".

Kelley Cook

* Re: Getting a new version of "patch" into cygwin
@ 2002-11-19  3:11 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-11-19  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:35:57PM -0500, Robert_K_Cook@comerica.com wrote:
> The official cygwin copy of Larry Wall's "patch" program is mired at
> version 2.5.0 (which was released way back in 1997).  The currently
> released version is 2.5.4 (which is still from 1999).  2.5.8 is available
> from the ftp://alpha.gnu.org website
>
> The main reason I'm mentioning is that 2.5.4 is necessary for "--posix"
> switch which is what you sometimes need to get multi-directory CVS diff
> files to work right as well as correcting a CR/LF issue I was running into.
> I have been using 2.5.8 for a few months now and was using 2.5.4 for years
> before that and haven't run into any problems.

I put that on my todo list.  There are several Cygwin specific patches
in our 2.5.0 so this needs some attention.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Getting a new version of "patch" into cygwin
@ 2002-11-15 13:53 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-11-15 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:21:22PM -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>> The official cygwin copy of Larry Wall's "patch" program is mired at
>> version 2.5.0 (which was released way back in 1997).  The currently
>> released version is 2.5.4 (which is still from 1999).  2.5.8 is available
>> from the ftp://alpha.gnu.org website
>
>From searching the cygwin-annouce mailing list archive, it looks like
>Corinna did the last 'patch' release and so it probably the maintainer:
>
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00018.html

And, since Corinna reads this mailing list, please don't send her personal
email about this.

Just making this observation since she's probably asleep right now and enjoys
getting personal email about cygwin about as much as I do.

cgf

* Re: Getting a new version of "patch" into cygwin
@ 2002-11-15 13:32 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-11-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> The official cygwin copy of Larry Wall's "patch" program is mired at
> version 2.5.0 (which was released way back in 1997).  The currently
> released version is 2.5.4 (which is still from 1999).  2.5.8 is available
> from the ftp://alpha.gnu.org website

From searching the cygwin-annouce mailing list archive, it looks like