* CYGWIN=codepage:oem in User's Guide
@ 2002-11-19 20:18 Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-11-19 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After researching a bit on the Internet, I think I understand what
the codepage is and how it works in the CYGWIN environment variable.
Please read this snippit of text meant eventually for

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

and give me any feedback about any errors:

<i>codepage:[ansi|oem]</i> - Windows console applications use one
of two character sets for drawing characters, "ansi" or "oem". The
first is the default, called "ansi" since the Windows 1.0 set
was the ANSI Latin1 (ISO 8859-1) standard, though the character
sets have since diverged from any standard. The second character
sets are the older, DOS-based character set, called "oem" since
originally they were encoded on the firmware of IBM PCs by OEMs.
If you find that some characters (especially non-US or 'graphical'
ones) do not display correctly in Cygwin, you can manually set
which codepage you want to use.

* Re: CYGWIN=codepage:oem in User's Guide
@ 2002-11-20 11:04 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-11-20 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Daniel Franklin; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> After researching a bit on the Internet, I think I understand what
> the codepage is and how it works in the CYGWIN environment variable.
> Please read this snippit of text meant eventually for
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
>
> and give me any feedback about any errors:
>
> <i>codepage:[ansi|oem]</i> - Windows console applications use one
> of two character sets for drawing characters, "ansi" or "oem". The
> first is the default, called "ansi" since the Windows 1.0 set
> was the ANSI Latin1 (ISO 8859-1) standard, though the character
> sets have since diverged from any standard. The second character
> sets are the older, DOS-based character set, called "oem" since
> originally they were encoded on the firmware of IBM PCs by OEMs.
> If you find that some characters (especially non-US or 'graphical'
> ones) do not display correctly in Cygwin, you can manually set
> which codepage you want to use.

How about the following (fixes small typos and adds the upcoming
codepage:none option):

<i>codepage:[ansi|oem|none]</i> - Windows console applications
can use different character sets (codepages) for drawing
characters.  The first setting, called "ansi" is the default.
This character set contains various forms of latin characters used
in European languages.  The name originates from the ANSI Latin1
(ISO 8859-1) standard, used in Windows 1.0, though the character
sets have since diverged from any standard.  The second setting
selects an older, DOS-based character set, containing various line
drawing and special characters.  It's called "oem" since it was
originally encoded in the firmware of the IBM PCs by the original
equipment manufacturers (OEMs).  The third setting allows using
non-cygwin tools, such as "chcp", to select a particular codepage.
If you find that some characters (especially non-US or 'graphical'
ones) do not display correctly in Cygwin, you can use this option
to select an appropriate codepage.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51

* Re: CYGWIN=codepage:oem in User's Guide
@ 2002-11-20 16:15   ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-11-20 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> How about the following (fixes small typos and adds the upcoming
> codepage:none option):

This looks good though I'd like to wait until "none" is actually
a valid option for people reading the User's Guide.
Thanks for the feedback.

* Re: cygwin=codepage:oem in User's Guide
@ 2002-11-20 16:18     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-11-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:56:20PM -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>>How about the following (fixes small typos and adds the upcoming
>>codepage:none option):
>
>This looks good though I'd like to wait until "none" is actually a
>valid option for people reading the User's Guide.

Any chance of that happening for 1.3.16?  Can we get the patch in soon?

>Thanks for the feedback.

Ditto.

cgf