* RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated cygwin package rxvt-2.7.9-3
@ 2003-01-13  3:04 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I gave this a try. The "Next" scroll bars are nice looking, and I've
generally been in favor of grouping the scroll arrows at one end of the bar
(on the Mac this was an option, possibly using some add-on GUI modification
software, I don't recall).

However, what I'm seeing when I enable the Next scrollbars in RXVT (latest
release--version 2.7.9) is that holding down on the scroll arrows does not
engage continuous scrolling. It just scrolls one line in the appropriate
direction then stops.

Also, if I mouse down in the page scrolling area and hold down until the
scroll thumb reaches the cursor, stopping the scrolling, it will not start
scrolling again if I move the mouse outside in the thumb (in the same
direction as the original scroll, of course). Is that deliberate?

I can't see any options mentioned in the man page that should control these
behaviors. The latter I could live with, but the former (no auto-scroll
when holding the mouse down on the scroll arrows) is onerous and seems to
me to be a bug.

By the way, even though there appears to be no command-line options for
choosing among the three available kinds of scroll bars, I don't know why
the resources file is "far preferable" since only with command line options
can you readily have different variations available (by having different
shortcuts or start-up scripts to launch RXVT).

Randall Schulz

@ 2003-01-13  3:04 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Olaf Foellinger', cygwin

@ 2003-01-13  3:23   ` Jeremy Hetzler
From: Jeremy Hetzler @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 09:09 AM 1/8/2003 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>By the way, even though there appears to be no command-line options for
>choosing among the three available kinds of scroll bars, I don't know why
>the resources file is "far preferable" since only with command line
>options can you readily have different variations available (by having
>different shortcuts or start-up scripts to launch RXVT).

rxvt --scrollstyle next

 From the man page:

@ 2003-01-13  3:23     ` Olaf Foellinger
From: Olaf Foellinger @ 2003-01-13  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:59:20AM -0800, Jeremy Hetzler wrote:
> At 09:09 AM 1/8/2003 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >By the way, even though there appears to be no command-line options for
> >choosing among the three available kinds of scroll bars, I don't know why
> >the resources file is "far preferable" since only with command line
> >options can you readily have different variations available (by having
> >different shortcuts or start-up scripts to launch RXVT).
>
> rxvt --scrollstyle next
>
> From the man page:
>
> >       Note  that  rxvt  permits the resource name to be used as a
> >long-option
> >       (--/++ option) so the potential command-line
> >options  are  far  greater
> >       than those listed.  For example: `rxvt --loginShell --color1
> >       Orange'.

Thank you, this works for me. I did have found this and other remarks in
the manpage but had difficulties to figure out the exakt syntax.

Gruss Olaf Föllinger

--
Olaf Föllinger
Berater

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated cygwin package rxvt-2.7.9-3
@ 2003-01-13  3:30   ` Rui Carmo
From: Rui Carmo @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> By the way, even though there appears to be no command-line options for
> choosing among the three available kinds of scroll bars, I don't know
> why the resources file is "far preferable" since only with command line
> options can you readily have different variations available (by having
> different shortcuts or start-up scripts to launch RXVT).

Call me picky. I'd rather have a single configuration file with stuff
like scrollbar style/placement/colors that I can copy to another box and
be done with it.

For instance, this is my current .Xdefaults:
cat .Xdefaults | grep rxvt
rxvt*font:vt6x13
rxvt*saveLines:30000
rxvt*termName:xterm
rxvt*loginShell:true
rxvt*scrollBar_right:true
#rxvt*troughColor:black
#rxvt*scrollColor:blue
rxvt*reverseVideo:true
rxvt*scrollstyle:next

Of course, I can make a shortcut like:
D:\bin\rxvt.exe  -tn xterm -sr -fn "vt6x13" -sl 30000 -e bash --login -i

But having it all pre-defined allows me to just type:

rxvt -fn "Lucida Console-8" -geometry 132x24 &

If I want, say, a terminal for using mySQL in.

You see, the resource file way is _simpler_ :)

1) Less typing.
2) You get to use exactly the same settings across more machines (I just
copied the file across to my Mac yesterday, for instance).
3) You don't have to memorize all the CLI switches.
4) Tou get the same degree of control (sometimes even more, depending on
the X app involved).

In short, the settings are "readily available", as you put it, and it's
faster to create variations from the same baseline config (unless you
prefer having entirely different terminals, with different background
colors, fonts, etc.) :)

Start-up scripts and shortcuts are probably easier for the beginner, but:

1) They're finnicky to use (you end up typing and re-editing them a lot
more)
2) You tend to lose shortcuts a lot when changing machines

There is also the fact that .Xdefaults/.Xresources is The One True Way
of doing configs in X11, but I'll stop pontificating right here. :)

R.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated cygwin package rxvt-2.7.9-3
@ 2003-01-13  3:04     ` Olaf Foellinger
From: Olaf Foellinger @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:21:39AM +0000, Rui Carmo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> just add the line:
>
> rxvt*scrollstyle: next
>
>  to your ~/.Xresources file.
>
> (You might want to run "rxvt --help" or check the man page for other
> valid resources you can set this way, since it is far preferable to
> adding command-line switches to rxvt)
>
> Works perfectly in Win32 (so much so that people think my laptop is
> running Linux :))

Does this mean that the option is available only under X ?

Gruss Olaf Föllinger

--
Olaf Föllinger
Berater
S.E.S.A. Software und Systeme AG

Alt-Moabit 91a
D-10559 Berlin
Germany
Tel:   +49 30 390722 -291
Fax:   +49 30 390722 -222
Mobil: +49 173 6227080
http://www.sesa.de
mailto: Olaf.Foellinger@sesa.de

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated cygwin package rxvt-2.7.9-3
@ 2003-01-13  3:04   ` Rui Carmo
From: Rui Carmo @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Foellinger; +Cc: cygwin

From: Olaf Foellinger @ 2003-01-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-12-24  5:21 ` Rui Carmo
From: Rui Carmo @ 2002-12-24  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Whohoo! NeXT scrollbars? That's a nice Xmas present. Thanks! :)

R.

@ 2002-12-24  4:26 Steve O