* Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:52:51AM -0500, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
>The email archives is your friend:

Well, we used to be friends but, yesterday, I was like talking to my friend
Gmane and I just said something like "Those email archives are slow" and, like,
the email archives overheard?  And the email archives was like "Who are *you*
calling slow?"  And, I was like, "This is a private conversation"?  And they
were like "Well, I was archiving everything you were saying!"  And, I went
"You are so rude!"  and they went "And we're archiving that, too"?  So we
had this big fight, you know?  And now the email archives and I aren't talking?
They are big jerks anyway and Gmane agrees with me on that, too.  So now me
and my friends are just not speaking with the email archives.  And, if they
are archiving this, like I really don't care?  Get a life or something and
stop trying to archive me.  You are so lame and all of us think so, too.

cgf

* RE: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 lhall
From: lhall @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jurgen.defurne, cygwin

The email archives is your friend:

Larry

From: Tommy Butler @ 2003-01-15 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>However, following the link to msg00511.html doesn't correlate:
>
> This should now be fixed.  We had a mysterious out-of-disk-space condition
> that caused some archive corruption.

HOORAY!

--

  -Tommy Butler
   see if I'm online »http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/online

   Tommy Butler <tommy@atrixnet.com>
   phone: (817)-468-7716
   6711 Forest Park Dr
   Arlington, TX
        76001-8403

   Download my résumé in PDF, MS Word, HTML, text
   http://www.atrixnet.com/

   the ooOPps Code Library
   http://ooopps.sourceforge.net/pub/

* Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output
@ 2003-01-15 11:41 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-01-15 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:32:43PM -0500, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
>Using the cygwin.com search of the email archives just now to verify
>the pointer has shown *something* is amiss at least.  Searching for
>'perldoc' in January returns:
>
>Christopher Faylor - Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc
>output**** Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output *
>From: Christopher Faylor &lt;cgf at redhat dot com&gt; * To: cygwin at
>cygwin dot com * Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:41:11 -0500 * Subject: Re:
>less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output * References:
>&lt;123820-220031510155251826 ...
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00511.html 2003-01-10,
>4940 bytes
>
>However, following the link to msg00511.html doesn't correlate:

This should now be fixed.  We had a mysterious out-of-disk-space condition
that caused some archive corruption.

FYI,
cgf

* RE: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output
@ 2003-01-14  0:12 ` Robert Praetorius
From: Robert Praetorius @ 2003-01-14  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> If this one doesn't move before you get there, this should help.  If it
> seems unrelated to your plight, "search the archives!" ;-)  Just use
> google or gmane instead of cygwin.com! ;-)

     Catch 22 here.  Assuming the relevant search terms are

        perldoc less

, neither Google nor Gmane

    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acygwin.com+perldoc+less
http://search.gmane.org/search.php?query=perldoc+less&group=gmane.os.cygwin&sort=relevance

have yet indexed the relevant sequence of messages (

) and (as you noted) Cygwin.com's htDig index is off by two
(http://sources.redhat.com/suggestions.html seems to imply that
sourcemaster@sources.redhat.com is the correct place to report that, and I
will).

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=builtin-long&sort=time&config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F&exclude=&words=perldoc+less

Greg Matheson - Re: perl error messages with cygwin 1.3.18-1*
    ... .earthlink.net&gt; On Sat, 04 Jan 2003, Jeremy Hetzler wrote: &gt; At 05:03 AM 1/2/2003 -0600, Tommy Butler wrote: &gt; &gt;Further, perldoc.exe isn't rendering pages correctly since 5.8 either. For &gt; &gt;example, &quot;$ perldoc UNIVERSAL&quot; produces the following ...
    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00195.html 2003-01-05, 5570 bytes

Jeremy Hetzler - Re: perl error messages with cygwin 1.3.18-1*
    ... ;20030102163808.A3730@ms&gt;&lt;20030102163808.A3730@ms&gt; At 05:03 AM 1/2/2003 -0600, Tommy Butler wrote: Greg Matheson wrote: Further, perldoc.exe isn't rendering pages correctly since 5.8 either. For example, &quot;$ perldoc UNIVERSAL&quot; produces the following when run from ...
    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00189.html 2003-01-05, 5661 bytes

* RE: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output
@ 2003-01-13 21:54 lhall
From: lhall @ 2003-01-13 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpraetorius, jurgen.defurne, cygwin

Well, as it turns out, the email archives aren't your friend.  They
are your enemy!  Chris Faylor was kind enough to poin this out to
me:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00528.html>

But seriously, I'm guessing it was fat fingers on my part, unless someone's
written a new shuffle routine for the email archives.  But then again, maybe
they have.  Using the cygwin.com search of the email archives just now to
verify the pointer has shown *something* is amiss at least.  Searching for
'perldoc' in January returns:

Christopher Faylor - Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc
output****
 Re: less-378-1 : ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output * From:
Christopher Faylor &lt;cgf at redhat dot com&gt; * To: cygwin at cygwin dot
com * Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:41:11 -0500 * Subject: Re: less-378-1 :
ANSI escape sequences in perldoc output * References:
&lt;123820-220031510155251826 ...
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00511.html 2003-01-10, 4940
bytes

However, following the link to msg00511.html doesn't correlate:

Re: Header File Package

    * From: DEEPA SIVASANKARANE <aj9035 at wayne dot edu>
    * To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
    * Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:07:36 -0500
    * Subject: Re: Header File Package

Somebody's having fun here (at our expense).  I guess that's why I always
shied away from searching the email archives and posting the link rather
than suggesting that those enquiring should just perform a search
themselves.
At least if I had done that this time, they would've been the ones burned
rather than both of us!  Next time I'll know better. ;-)

Well, before I revert to my former kurmudgening ways of saying "search the
archives!" ;-), I'll make one more effort to point to the proper message.

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-01/msg00213.html>

From: jurgen.defurne @ 2003-01-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

I have searched the archive for the keywords 'less ansi', but the only
information
I got back were the mails that we sent about this subject.

I also do not understand what a discussion about slashes and backslashes
in
POSIX and Win32 paths has to do with ANSI escape sequences in formatted
visual output. That is where you sent me with the URL below. Since the
above
search did not turn up any part the discussion below, I severely doubt
that it will
help with my little problem.

Anybody else on this list who might have a clue ?

Jurgen

"lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com" <lhall
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com