* RE: Paasword validation in Windows Domain ?
@ 2003-01-13 17:36 Habermann, David (DA)
From: Habermann, David (DA) @ 2003-01-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It should be noted that this does not work if running on W98, it must be on XP or NT (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

David Habermann

From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2003-01-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:26:42AM -0500, Habermann, David (DA) wrote:
> It should be noted that this does not work if running on W98, it must be on XP or NT (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

Correct. The URL below also explains how to do it on win98
> See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID

Pierre

* Re: Paasword validation in Windows Domain ?
@ 2003-01-13 18:51   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2003-01-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> Cygwin provides a function:  cygwin_logon_user (user_pwd_entry,
> cleartext_password);  See
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID As indicated
> before, the user needs to be in passwd.

Has anybody tried this from Perl?

* Re: Paasword validation in Windows Domain ?
@ 2003-01-13 16:27 ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2003-01-13 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-01-13 14:57 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jurgen.defurne, cygwin

jurgen.defurne@philips.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to know if it is possible using the Cygwin tools
> to validate a user/password against the domain
> a computer is in.
>
> I would like to setup web service on the intranet,
> which can only be used by certain persons. Since
> I a have no interest in creating and maintaining a
> user database, it would be nice if users of the
> service can be prompted for their name and
> password, and that I can validate these against
> the current domain.

AFAIK, you can almost do what you want. It should all work provided you keep
your /etc/passwd up-to-date as you add and remove users. NB: Passwords are
*not* stored in /etc/passwd, they are checked with Windows - i.e. what you
want.

I suggest that you look at mk{passwd,group} -d and see if you can work out
an acceptable way of regenerating this on a schedule or when users are
created/removed.

Max.

* Paasword validation in Windows Domain ?
@ 2003-01-13 14:55 jurgen.defurne