* Re: [Fwd: Bug: Perl:IsWinNT undefined & RFE, only use "/" in reg values, not names..?]
@ 2004-02-19 15:15 Brian.Kelly
From: Brian.Kelly @ 2004-02-19 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Do all the win32 libraries have to have a special port to work on cygwin
> even though
> cygwin was supposed to aid in allowing posix type apps (like perl) to
> run under
> win either from the bash or cjmd.exe shell?

> Definitely the win32 lib is a step in the right direction...but why does
> cygwin need a special version?

Seems to me you answered your own question. The perl that's bundled with
Cygwin is *NOT*
an Active-State-*like* Win32 version of perl. It's really a *unix* built
version of perl that
-requires- Cygwin to even run on Windoze at all. That being the case,
Cygwin perl *thinks* its
running on unix - not Win32. Therefore, modules that expect direct,
non-POSIX access to the
Win32 subsystem are gonna need some help that wouldn't otherwise be
necessary with a true
Win32 build of Perl.

Brian Kelly

"WellChoice, Inc." made the following
 annotations on 02/19/2004 09:07:12 AM
Attention!  This electronic message contains information that may be legally confidential and/or privileged.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Release/Disclosure Statement

* Re: [Fwd: Bug: Perl:IsWinNT undefined & RFE, only use "/" in reg values, not names..?]
@ 2004-02-20  0:05 Brian.Kelly
From: Brian.Kelly @ 2004-02-20  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> It seems cyg_win_ was designed to add POSIX  and unix compatibility
> and functionality to the _Win_ environment with the intent of making
> things _easier_ (Easy is good -- not everyone can be a master of
> every technology). So why not make things easier for perl scripters
> as well by starting with a perl that is unix (works with cpan,
> handles paths with "//", "/") and win (paths handle "\\", ":" and
> "\\\\" and define WinNT) compatible?

I can't bring up the cygwin site right now for some reason, so I'll
go off memory. I do succinctly remember cgf being asked about cygwin
"making things easier" and he very clearly stated THAT WAS NOT THE GOAL.
The goal was to make a POSIX COMPATIBLE layer for Microsoft Windows
Platforms. PERIOD. There is no other goal, focus or mission. At least
*that* is what I took from his statements. This discussion is in the
archives somewhere. I don't think anyone would argue that "making things
easier" is a good thing to strive for - but that in fact is a much *bigger*
and *loftier* goal than the one defined for the cygwin project. Cygwin
is still a *relatively* new animal and there isn't a big enough cross-over
user base wanting hybrid capability to stimulate many developers into
working
more towards this goal. The fact that libwin32 got ported is proof that
such desire *does* exist and that things are *beginning* to move in this
direction - but one must have patience!!! Furthermore, the changes needed
were introduced into the modules themselves, NOT the cygwin1.dll.
(At least, that's my possibly errant understanding). cgf and crew
have enough challenge right now just getting the *POSIX* thing right.
When that task is someday finished - maybe they too will be inspired to
*up the ante*. And I for one completely understand their lack of desire
for doing it *now*.

Brian Kelly

"WellChoice, Inc." made the following
 annotations on 02/19/2004 03:41:10 PM

@ 2004-02-12 18:22 linda w
From: linda w @ 2004-02-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm on an NT compatible (Windows XP) release trying to run the reg utils
but I
get an error message that IsWinNT is not defined, so they the reg utils
fail to
install.  Presumably IsWinNT is to differentiate between Protected and
DOS-based versions of Windows but presumably wouldn't be defined on OS's
where
Windows compatibility is not possible or desired.

Since the purpose of Cygwin is to  allow developers to use both the
Microsoft
Win32 API and/or the Cygwin API to write utils that can be used from
both the
bash shell and the standard Windows command shell
(http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_1.html, 2nd par.), having Cywin perl
returning "Not
running on top any version of windows) would seem to be a bug.  Am I,
perhaps,
doing something else wrong and this feature does work for others?  If
so, I'll
have to go bury my head for a while under some lines of code.

Speaking of compatibility --  there is only 1 application I know of that
uses
"/" in keynames -- Cygwin.  Since it's already been noted that this makes it
very awkward to access these keys in /proc, perhaps cygwin could op for
better
windows compatibility and go with the unofficial custom of not using "/" in
keynames?   Many or most examples I've seen of manipulating the registry
show
the use of some "change separator" facility and then use "/" as the example
separator in code examples -- as "/" is already the separator in other
parts of
the OS and "\" is a pain to use since most modern languages use it for
literalizing the next character

What do you think?  Are these fixable/changable?

Thanks,
-linda