* where is parted?
@ 2024-01-11 10:12 Matthias@gmx.li
From: Matthias@gmx.li @ 2024-01-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

I'm using sfdisk for analysing partitions on msdos partition tables. Unfortunately it don't support
GPT tables.
Is there another tool, like parted, what can be used?

Thanks in advance
Matthias

* Re: where is parted?
@ 2024-01-11 10:56 ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2024-01-11 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Matthias--- via Cygwin wrote:
> I'm using sfdisk for analysing partitions on msdos partition tables. Unfortunately it don't support
> GPT tables.
> Is there another tool, like parted, what can be used?

/sbin/fdisk from package util-linux-2.33.1-2 supports GPT.

--
Regards,
Christian

* Re: where is parted?
@ 2024-01-11 11:38   ` Matthias@gmx.li
From: Matthias@gmx.li @ 2024-01-11 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Franke, cygwin

fdisk reports the same partition type as sfdisk. It report "Microsoft basic data" for NTFS as well
as for FAT32 partitions.

Am Donnerstag, dem 11.01.2024 um 11:56 +0100 schrieb Christian Franke via Cygwin:
> Matthias--- via Cygwin wrote:
> > I'm using sfdisk for analysing partitions on msdos partition tables. Unfortunately it don't
> > support
> > GPT tables.
> > Is there another tool, like parted, what can be used?
>
> /sbin/fdisk from package util-linux-2.33.1-2 supports GPT.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Christian

* Re: where is parted?
@ 2024-01-11 12:54     ` gs-cygwin.com
From: gs-cygwin.com @ 2024-01-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias@gmx.li; +Cc: Christian Franke, cygwin

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 12:38:29PM +0100, Matthias--- via Cygwin wrote:
> fdisk reports the same partition type as sfdisk. It report "Microsoft basic data" for NTFS as well
> as for FAT32 partitions.
>
> Am Donnerstag, dem 11.01.2024 um 11:56 +0100 schrieb Christian Franke via Cygwin:
> > Matthias--- via Cygwin wrote:
> > > I'm using sfdisk for analysing partitions on msdos partition tables. Unfortunately it don't
> > > support
> > > GPT tables.
> > > Is there another tool, like parted, what can be used?
> >
> > /sbin/fdisk from package util-linux-2.33.1-2 supports GPT.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Christian

(Aside: Matthias, this list prefers bottom posting.
        Please post at the bottom of responses.)

My go-to is gparted, though it runs on Linux.

You can boot a "live" distro on a USB stick to manipulate partitions.
https://gparted.org/download.php

gparted doc also provides:
How-to Fix Invalid MSDOS Partition Tables
https://gparted.org/h2-fix-msdos-pt.php

Cheers, Glenn

* Re: where is parted?
@ 2024-01-11 13:30     ` Christian Franke
From: Christian Franke @ 2024-01-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Matthias@gmx.li wrote:
> fdisk reports the same partition type as sfdisk. It report "Microsoft basic data" for NTFS as well
> as for FAT32 partitions.

That is as expected and differs from MBR disks. The same GPT partition
GUID is used for NTFS and the various FAT filesystem types.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_basic_data_partition