* GNU screen not redrawing properly
@ 2011-06-13 21:53 Eric Pruitt
From: Eric Pruitt @ 2011-06-13 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When switching windows on GNU screen, the background on any unoccupied text
cells fails to be redrawn for curses applications; see
<http://i.imgur.com/veP9B.png>. I am using screen version 4.00.03, mutt
version 1.5.20, Vim 7.3, and mintty 0.9.9-1 on a 32-bit Windows Vista
installation. Any ideas on what could be done to fix this? The problem does
not show up when using Console2 although there is an issue with it improperly
detecting the terminal's height while inside of screen, but I'm not concerned
with that.

Eric

* Re: GNU screen not redrawing properly
@ 2011-06-13 23:23 ` Chris Sutcliffe
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2011-06-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 June 2011 17:53, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> When switching windows on GNU screen, the background on any unoccupied text
> cells fails to be redrawn for curses applications; see
> <http://i.imgur.com/veP9B.png>. I am using screen version 4.00.03, mutt
> version 1.5.20, Vim 7.3, and mintty 0.9.9-1 on a 32-bit Windows Vista
> installation. Any ideas on what could be done to fix this? The problem does
> not show up when using Console2 although there is an issue with it improperly
> detecting the terminal's height while inside of screen, but I'm not concerned
> with that.

Does this only occur with the Vim screen?  Does executing CTRL-L in
the Vim screen help?

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org

* Re: GNU screen not redrawing properly
@ 2011-06-13 23:44   ` Eric Pruitt
From: Eric Pruitt @ 2011-06-13 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:23:34PM -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> On 13 June 2011 17:53, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> > When switching windows on GNU screen, the background on any unoccupied text
> > cells fails to be redrawn for curses applications; see
> > <http://i.imgur.com/veP9B.png>. I am using screen version 4.00.03, mutt
> > version 1.5.20, Vim 7.3, and mintty 0.9.9-1 on a 32-bit Windows Vista
> > installation. Any ideas on what could be done to fix this? The problem does
> > not show up when using Console2 although there is an issue with it improperly
> > detecting the terminal's height while inside of screen, but I'm not concerned
> > with that.
>
> Does this only occur with the Vim screen?  Does executing CTRL-L in
> the Vim screen help?
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Sutcliffe
> http://emergedesktop.org
> http://www.google.com/profiles/ir0nh34d
>
> --

This also occurs with mutt; look closely at the screenshot and you will notice
that the blue header bar and blue message highlighting does not extend all the
way across the terminal like it should.

Ctrl+L for a manual refresh of mutt and vim does fix the problem, but I would
really rather not have to do that every time.

@ 2011-06-14  8:28     ` Andy Koppe
       [not found]       ` <20110614121229.GA556@icebox>
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-06-14  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14 June 2011 00:44, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 07:23:34PM -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>> On 13 June 2011 17:53, Eric Pruitt wrote:
>> > When switching windows on GNU screen, the background on any unoccupied text
>> > cells fails to be redrawn for curses applications; see
>> > <http://i.imgur.com/veP9B.png>. I am using screen version 4.00.03, mutt
>> > version 1.5.20, Vim 7.3, and mintty 0.9.9-1 on a 32-bit Windows Vista
>> > installation. Any ideas on what could be done to fix this? The problem does
>> > not show up when using Console2 although there is an issue with it improperly
>> > detecting the terminal's height while inside of screen, but I'm not concerned
>> > with that.
>>
>> Does this only occur with the Vim screen?  Does executing CTRL-L in
>> the Vim screen help?
>
> This also occurs with mutt; look closely at the screenshot and you will notice
> that the blue header bar and blue message highlighting does not extend all the
> way across the terminal like it should.
>
> Ctrl+L for a manual refresh of mutt and vim does fix the problem, but I would
> really rather not have to do that every time.

What are the TERM setting outside and inside screen? They should be
"xterm" and "screen", respectively (or variations thereof). Also, is
there anything in .screenrc that could be relevant?

Andy

@ 2011-06-14 12:32         ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-06-14 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Eric Pruitt

On 14 June 2011 13:12, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> Outside of screen, TERM=xterm. Inside of screen, well here is the relevant
> line from my bashrc; my screenrc doesn't have anything that would affect
> colors:
>
>    TERM=screen-256color GNU_SCREEN="active" screen -a -A -RR -T "$TERM" && \
>        screen -wipe || exit

Ah, this invokes screen itself with TERM=screen-256color, which tells
it to talk to the outside terminal as if that's another screen, which
is wrong. You want to be invoking it with TERM=xterm-256color instead
(which can be selected on the Terminal page of the mintty options).

Screen's '-T <term>' option determines the TERM variable inside
screen. Setting that to "screen-256color" to tell applications that
they're running in a 256-colour enabled screen does make sense.

Btw, screen emulates 256-colour mode inside a terminal that only
supports 16 colours, by mapping the colours appropriately. Of course
you'll still only get 16 actual colours, but it's still better than
having colour requests beyond the basic 16 ignored.

Andy

* Re: GNU screen not redrawing properly
@ 2011-06-14 13:12           ` Eric Pruitt
From: Eric Pruitt @ 2011-06-14 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:32:39PM +0100, Andy Koppe wrote:
> Ah, this invokes screen itself with TERM=screen-256color, which tells
> it to talk to the outside terminal as if that's another screen, which
> is wrong. You want to be invoking it with TERM=xterm-256color instead
> (which can be selected on the Terminal page of the mintty options).
>
> Screen's '-T <term>' option determines the TERM variable inside
> screen. Setting that to "screen-256color" to tell applications that
> they're running in a 256-colour enabled screen does make sense.
>
> Btw, screen emulates 256-colour mode inside a terminal that only
> supports 16 colours, by mapping the colours appropriately. Of course
> you'll still only get 16 actual colours, but it's still better than
> having colour requests beyond the basic 16 ignored.
>
> Andy

Since Console2 is the only 16 bit terminal emulator I use, I suppose it would
make the most sense to only not set xterm-256color when TERM == 'cygwin'.

Thanks for the explanation, and sorry I forgot to hit group-reply on my last
message.

@ 2011-06-17  0:33           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2011-06-17  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 14 June 2011 13:12, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> > Outside of screen, TERM=xterm. Inside of screen, well here is the relevant
> > line from my bashrc; my screenrc doesn't have anything that would affect
> > colors:
> >
> >    TERM=screen-256color GNU_SCREEN="active" screen -a -A -RR -T "$TERM" && \
> >        screen -wipe || exit
>
> Ah, this invokes screen itself with TERM=screen-256color, which tells
> it to talk to the outside terminal as if that's another screen, which
> is wrong. You want to be invoking it with TERM=xterm-256color instead
> (which can be selected on the Terminal page of the mintty options).
>
> Screen's '-T <term>' option determines the TERM variable inside
> screen. Setting that to "screen-256color" to tell applications that
> they're running in a 256-colour enabled screen does make sense.
>
> Btw, screen emulates 256-colour mode inside a terminal that only
> supports 16 colours, by mapping the colours appropriately. Of course
> you'll still only get 16 actual colours, but it's still better than
> having colour requests beyond the basic 16 ignored.

Eric, please see the discussion of 256-color mode in screen in
/usr/share/doc/screen/README.Cygwin.  It includes the proper terminal settings,
as Andy described.  Patches are welcome if more information is needed there.