* teTeX/dvips
@ 2011-08-15 12:03 Charles Hyder
From: Charles Hyder @ 2011-08-15 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi! I've just upgraded to a fresh Cygwin distribution. I installed the
full teTeX package. Then I tried to add my usual stuff like extra TeX
packages that I had with my previous installation of Cygwin.

(Yes, I have read that the problems with 3rd party packages are not
welcome here, but 1) I doubt there's a single TeX user who doesn't use
extra TeX packages; 2) I already resolved the issue, so I'm not really
complaining; 3) this issue has to do with recent changes in Cygwin's
teTeX package; so, please, read on!)

One of them is cm-super (font package to typeset Cyrillic fonts). To
start with, the installation instructions for cm-super no longer work
out the box with the latest teTeX distro. I found this to be due to
the change in the texmf configs which no longer look for .map and .enc
files in /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config, but rather in
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips and /usr/share/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips,
respectively. Well, it took me some time to figure this out, but I
did, and so I reinstalled the .map and .enc files there. However,
something strange happened: dvipdfm started working just fine, while
dvips didnt'! It took me a really long time to figure out what's going
on.

Turns out, the include path for dvips's map files is
/usr/shar/texmf/fonts/map// (!) Here, the "//" means "search all
subdirectories", of course. And it includes both those for dvips and
dvipdfm. And the cm-super guys did no better than name the
corresponding .map and .enc files identically! And since dvipdf comes
before dvips in the the alphabetical sort the dvips was actually
reading dvipdfm's .map and .enc files!

So, here's the bottom line: it's a bad idea to allow - even in
principle - for dvips to read dvipdfm's (or any other tool's) files.
Looks like, you guys wanted to make the search for .map/.enc files
mechanism uniform among all tools. Please try to see if this can be
done more safely.

Regards,
-CH

* Re: teTeX/dvips
@ 2011-08-16  8:23 ` Dima Pasechnik
From: Dima Pasechnik @ 2011-08-16  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

On 15 August 2011 12:03, Charles Hyder <dr.hyder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I've just upgraded to a fresh Cygwin distribution. I installed the
> full teTeX package. Then I tried to add my usual stuff like extra TeX
> packages that I had with my previous installation of Cygwin.

as already discussed here, teTeX is on its way out.
http://www.tug.org/tetex/
It's thus not a surprise that certain things do not work any more on teTeX.

Switch to TeX Live: http://www.tug.org/texlive/

Best,
Dmitrii

* teTeX/dvips
@ 2011-08-16 18:26 ` R P Herrold
From: R P Herrold @ 2011-08-16 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Hyder; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Charles Hyder wrote:

> Turns out, the include path for dvips's map files is
> /usr/shar/texmf/fonts/map// (!) Here, the "//" means "search all
> subdirectories", of course.

I have to admit ignorance here of this seeming common
knowledge.  How does adding a second slash to the end of a
path indicate such a search, let alone assuming it to be
common 'of course' knowledge

Where is this documented, as it severely 'breaks expectation'
that a path specification is permitted to have 'extra'
adjacent path-separators.  An additional expectation is that a
directory specification may be 'normalized' at any time, and
is NOT overloaded with some 'secret' "search sub-paths" option

man 1 dirname
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/normalizing-path-names-bash

-- Russ herrold

* Re: teTeX/dvips
@ 2011-08-16 18:32   ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2011-08-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/08/2011 2:26 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Charles Hyder wrote:
>
>> Turns out, the include path for dvips's map files is
>> /usr/shar/texmf/fonts/map// (!) Here, the "//" means "search all
>> subdirectories", of course.
>
> I have to admit ignorance here of this seeming common knowledge.  How
> does adding a second slash to the end of a path indicate such a
> search, let alone assuming it to be common 'of course' knowledge
>
> Where is this documented, as it severely 'breaks expectation' that a
> path specification is permitted to have 'extra' adjacent
> path-separators.  An additional expectation is that a directory
> specification may be 'normalized' at any time, and is NOT overloaded
> with some 'secret' "search sub-paths" option
AFAIK, it's a tex thing and has little or no relation to anything linux
or unix. Other than that I tend to agree with your assessment, tho.

Ryan

* Re: teTeX/dvips
@ 2011-08-17  7:15     ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2011-08-17  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ryan Johnson <ryan.johnson@cs.utoronto.ca> was heard to say:

> AFAIK, it's a tex thing and has little or no relation to anything
> linux or unix. Other than that I tend to agree with your assessment,
> tho.

Just for the sake of completeness: most TeX implementations use the
Kpathsea library for path searching. Its idiosyncrasies are well
documented right here:

http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html

regards,
Markus