* cygwin on virtual box vm
@ 2011-11-04 21:08 J.V.
From: J.V. @ 2011-11-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have Windows XP Pro x32 in a VM with the latest version of cygwin
installed.

When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.

Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to run
faster under a vm environment.

I am not sure why it is taking so long to do a simple ls or mkdir or any
other command.

Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.

* Re: cygwin on virtual box vm
@ 2011-11-05 10:06 ` David Sastre
From: David Sastre @ 2011-11-05 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:08:25PM -0600, J.V. wrote:
> Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to
> run faster under a vm environment.
> Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
> productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.

Please follow the spteps mentioned here to submit a problem report:

> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.

Also, I take for granted you don't type a literal '$ls', and the '$'
sign here represents the prompt.

--
Huella de clave primaria: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179  60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56

* Re: cygwin on virtual box vm
@ 2011-11-05 17:54   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-11-05 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:05:54AM +0100, David Sastre wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:08:25PM -0600, J.V. wrote:
>> Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to
>> run faster under a vm environment.
>> Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
>> productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.
>
>Please follow the spteps mentioned here to submit a problem report:
>
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
>> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.
>
>Also, I take for granted you don't type a literal '$ls', and the '$'
>sign here represents the prompt.

FWIW, I run Cygwin on VirtualBox all of the time.  It is one of my main
testing environments.

cgf

* Re: cygwin on virtual box vm
@ 2011-11-14 23:49     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-11-14 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 01:54:03PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 11:05:54AM +0100, David Sastre wrote:
>>On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:08:25PM -0600, J.V. wrote:
>>> Any other command I type is freakishly slow.  How do I get this to
>>> run faster under a vm environment.
>>> Even if I $vi a file it takes a while seriously cutting into the
>>> productivity gains that cygwin on the host environment provides.
>>
>>Please follow the spteps mentioned here to submit a problem report:
>>
>>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>
>>> When I open a cygwin bash shell, and type '$ls' it just sits there forever.
>>
>>Also, I take for granted you don't type a literal '$ls', and the '$'
>>sign here represents the prompt.
>
>FWIW, I run Cygwin on VirtualBox all of the time.  It is one of my main
>testing environments.

I just ran Cygwin on virtualbox today for the first time in a while.  I
was trying to duplicate the recent problem with running make so I was
trying configure/make on different platforms.

I was REALLY surprised by how much slower virtualbox was than "raw
iron".  Of course my Windows system is also my gaming system so it is
pretty beefy but still I was seeing possibly two orders of magnitude
slowdown on the VM.  So, I withdraw my comment above.  Either I never
really noticed the slowdown or something has gotten worse lately.

cgf