* Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03  4:26 Andrew Hancock
From: Andrew Hancock @ 2011-12-03  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

According to http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My "cygcheck -cvs"
shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.  I was wondering if it is
wise to assume that the app version number from cygcheck is the same as the
version number from the gnu site?

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03  9:44 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-12-03  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
> According to http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
> with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My "cygcheck -cvs"
> shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.  I was wondering if it is
> wise to assume that the app version number from cygcheck is the same as the
> version number from the gnu site?

Hi Andrew

in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions,
eventually with additional patches.
Octave package 3.4.2-3 is aligned with upstream 3.4.2.
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

I guess you have some problem on your octave package,
and you can also check the version with:

$ /usr/bin/octave --version
GNU Octave, version 3.4.2

and on my system:

octave:2> Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")

is working fine as expected.
If you have problem with a different example file, than
please rise the problem on octave bug system or send me by
private mail your file, and I will check against the development
build.

If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs
and re-install octave.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 15:27   ` Andrew Hancock
From: Andrew Hancock @ 2011-12-03 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>> According to
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
>> with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My
>> "cygcheck -cvs" shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.
>> I was wondering if it is wise to assume that the app version number
>> from cygcheck is the same as the version number from the gnu site?
>
> in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions,
> eventually with additional patches.  Octave package 3.4.2-3 is
> aligned with upstream 3.4.2.
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html
>
> I guess you have some problem on your octave package, and you can
> also check the version with:
>
> $ /usr/bin/octave --version
> GNU Octave, version 3.4.2
>
> and on my system:
>
> octave:2> Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")
>
> is working fine as expected.  If you have problem with a different
> example file, than please rise the problem on octave bug system or
> send me by private mail your file, and I will check against the
> development build.
>
> If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs and
> re-install octave.

Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL using Setup is
actually downgrading, since I currently use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get
around a problem with creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to
Octave).

Since I am unclear about the interactions between the packages and the cygwin
DLL, I have been trying to avoid updates to cygwin and packages until a new
release.  However, I will do it if all other ways of poking and prodding a
problem are exhausted.  One of the poking/prodding I want to do is check octave
release notes.  I haven't been able to find an archive of release notes for
various octave versions and subversions, but I did find the savannah bug
tracking system.  It doesn't help determine the incremental changes from version
3.4.2-1 (what I have) and 3.4.2-3.  Finding your postings on the cygwin mailing
list archive indicates that the changes are not related to wavread, but as you
say, it might be my particular circumstance -- especially since the bug was
apparently fixed in 3.2.3.

I'll take you up on your offer to email you the file.  It is a 23KB file that is
a truncation of drum beat track 428 available at
http://www.instructables.com/id/Drum-Beats-in-Audacity.  Thanks.

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 17:41     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2011-12-03 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/3/2011 4:26 PM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
> marco atzeri<marco.atzeri<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>> On 12/3/2011 5:26 AM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>>> According to
>>> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 , a bug
>>> with octave's wavread function was fixed in octave 3.2.3.  My
>>> "cygcheck -cvs" shows an octave of 3.4.2, but I still get the bug.
>>> I was wondering if it is wise to assume that the app version number
>>> from cygcheck is the same as the version number from the gnu site?
>>
>> in general the cygwin packages are aligned with upstream versions,
>> eventually with additional patches.  Octave package 3.4.2-3 is
>> aligned with upstream 3.4.2.
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html
>>
>> I guess you have some problem on your octave package, and you can
>> also check the version with:
>>
>> $ /usr/bin/octave --version
>> GNU Octave, version 3.4.2
>>
>> and on my system:
>>
>> octave:2>  Y = wavread("oddchunk.wav")
>>
>> is working fine as expected.  If you have problem with a different
>> example file, than please rise the problem on octave bug system or
>> send me by private mail your file, and I will check against the
>> development build.
>>
>> If your version is not 3.4.2-3, close all cygwin programs and
>> re-install octave.
>
> Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
> Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL using Setup is
> actually downgrading, since I currently use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get
> around a problem with creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to
> Octave).

Andrew,
cygwin setup is not aware of any snapshot you can install manually,
as it compares the info from setup.ini (from website) with
the info stored on its database /etc/setup/installed.db

So if you have

$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.7.9-1        OK

as 1.7.9-1 is the last released version, running setup again
to upgrade octave, will not replace your snapshot.

I am also running a snapshot as 1.7.9

$ uname -rv
1.7.10s(0.255/5/3) 20111129 17:41:48

for the reason reported on
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

> Since I am unclear about the interactions between the packages and the cygwin
> DLL, I have been trying to avoid updates to cygwin and packages until a new
> release.  However, I will do it if all other ways of poking and prodding a
> problem are exhausted.  One of the poking/prodding I want to do is check octave
> release notes.  I haven't been able to find an archive of release notes for
> various octave versions and subversions, but I did find the savannah bug
> tracking system.  It doesn't help determine the incremental changes from version
> 3.4.2-1 (what I have) and 3.4.2-3.  Finding your postings on the cygwin mailing
> list archive indicates that the changes are not related to wavread, but as you
> say, it might be my particular circumstance -- especially since the bug was
> apparently fixed in 3.2.3.
>
> I'll take you up on your offer to email you the file.  It is a 23KB file that is
> a truncation of drum beat track 428 available at
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Drum-Beats-in-Audacity.  Thanks.

It seems a different problem of the bug you thought about,
both the 3.4.2-3 and the latest development build do not recognize
the file format.

octave:2> Y = wavread("428shortMono.wav")
error: wavread: file contains no RIFF chunk
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.4.2/m/audio/wavread.m at line 74, column 5
octave:2> exit

octave:2> Y = wavread("428shortMono.wav")
error: wavread: file contains no RIFF chunk
error: called from:
error:   /pub/hg/octave_build/../octave/scripts/audio/wavread.m at line
77, column 7

Please note that

$ file *.wav
428shortMono.wav: RIFF (big-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 44100 Hz
oddchunk.wav:     RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM,
16 bit, mono 1000 Hz

I am not sure that your file is compatible with octave expectation,
I suggest to rise the question on octave-help as I know nothing about
sound file format.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 18:21     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-12-03 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 03:26:38PM +0000, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
>Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL using Setup is
>actually downgrading, since I currently use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get
>around a problem with creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to
>Octave).

I don't see how setup.exe could downgrade cygwin1.dll if you have
previously installed Cygwin 1.7.9.  setup.exe relies on package metadata
to determine when to replace a package and you don't touch that when you
download a snapshot and copy it to the correct location.

cgf

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 19:34       ` Andrew Hancock
From: Andrew Hancock @ 2011-12-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 03:26:38PM +0000, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>>
>>Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was
>>wise to update Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the
>>cygwin DLL using Setup is actually downgrading, since I currently
>>use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get around a problem with
>>creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to Octave).
>
> I don't see how setup.exe could downgrade cygwin1.dll if you have
> previously installed Cygwin 1.7.9.  setup.exe relies on package
> metadata to determine when to replace a package and you don't touch
> that when you download a snapshot and copy it to the correct
> location.

Hmm.  I am obviously confused.  I think I just lost track of what I
was doing, because I was trying to not only set up cygwin on one
computer, but also install it another computer from CD.  Thanks for
clearing that up.

In general, is it risking compatibility problems by updating packages
via setup.exe when you are using a snapshot?

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 19:48         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2011-12-03 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 07:33:29PM +0000, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 03:26:38PM +0000, Andrew Hancock wrote:
>>>
>>>Thanks, Marco.  I posted on another thread asking whether it was
>>>wise to update Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the
>>>cygwin DLL using Setup is actually downgrading, since I currently
>>>use a snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get around a problem with
>>>creating files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to Octave).
>>
>> I don't see how setup.exe could downgrade cygwin1.dll if you have
>> previously installed Cygwin 1.7.9.  setup.exe relies on package
>> metadata to determine when to replace a package and you don't touch
>> that when you download a snapshot and copy it to the correct
>> location.
>
>Hmm.  I am obviously confused.  I think I just lost track of what I
>was doing, because I was trying to not only set up cygwin on one
>computer, but also install it another computer from CD.  Thanks for
>clearing that up.
>
>In general, is it risking compatibility problems by updating packages
>via setup.exe when you are using a snapshot?

No.

cgf

* Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite
@ 2011-12-03 20:18       ` Andrew Hancock
From: Andrew Hancock @ 2011-12-03 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:

| On 12/3/2011 4:26 PM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
|| marco atzeri<marco.atzeri<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
|| ...I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
|| Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL
|| using Setup is actually downgrading, since I currently use a
|| snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get around a problem with creating
|| files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to Octave).
|
| Andrew, cygwin setup is not aware of any snapshot you can install
| manually, as it compares the info from setup.ini (from website) with
| the info stored on its database /etc/setup/installed.db
|
| So if you have
|
| $ cygcheck -c cygwin
| Cygwin Package Information
| Package              Version        Status
| cygwin               1.7.9-1        OK
|
| as 1.7.9-1 is the last released version, running setup again to
| upgrade octave, will not replace your snapshot.

Thanks for explaining, Marco.  As I replied to Christopher, I think I
was confused.

| I am also running a snapshot as 1.7.9
|
| $ uname -rv
| 1.7.10s(0.255/5/3) 20111129 17:41:48
|
| for the reason reported on
| http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

It'll be nice when the new cygwin release comes out and octave works
with gnuplot.  I didn't realize that it was fixed in snapshots after
June.  I know what to try if the need arises.

| It seems a different problem of the bug you thought about, ...

Yes, my mistake again.  My error message is that there is no RIFF
chunk, while
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 is for no
*data* chunk.

| ...both the 3.4.2-3 and the latest development build do not
| recognize the file format.

| Please note that
|
| $ file *.wav
| 428shortMono.wav: RIFF (big-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 44100 Hz
| oddchunk.wav:     RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM,
| 16 bit, mono 1000 Hz
|
| I am not sure that your file is compatible with octave expectation,
| I suggest to rise the question on octave-help as I know nothing about
| sound file format.

Will do.  Thanks for checking for me.