* [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-27 16:14 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.

This package is usually installed and updated automatically.  In the
default view of setup.exe you won't even see it.

The purpose of this package is to run rebaseall automatically after any
package containing DLLs is updated.

Please note that the _autorebase.sh postinstall script might run a few
minutes.  Don't be alarmed if the postinstall takes that long now.  It's
not because the _autorebase.sh script hangs, but because rebaseall might
take that long.  In my private testing scenario it could take a couple
of seconds up to two minutes.

Please also note that this package requires at least the new rebase
version 4.1.0.  The changes in rebase 4.1.0 deal gracefully with DLLs
which are in use while rebaseall runs.  Without these changes the
automatic call to rebaseall from the _autorebase package will fail and
you have to run rebaseall manually again.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at the above URL.

Red Hat

* RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-28  9:48 ` Michel Bardiaux
From: Michel Bardiaux @ 2012-03-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.

This works very well indeed. After reinstalling setup and catching up with 1 month of updates, bringing me from uname 1.7.10 to 1.7.11 (which means autorebase MUST have done something, right?) I have just made a moderately large make (of what does not matter) of 48 source files using "make -j" (unlimited parallelism) on a not-so-large PC (dual 2GHz, 2GB) with all the Avast! filters turned on. The system froze nearly solid for 5 minutes but actually completed the build with no fork misses whatsoever. Congrats!

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-28 12:18   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-28 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 28 11:48, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> > I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.
>
> This works very well indeed. After reinstalling setup and catching up
> with 1 month of updates, bringing me from uname 1.7.10 to 1.7.11
> (which means autorebase MUST have done something, right?) I have just
> made a moderately large make (of what does not matter) of 48 source
> files using "make -j" (unlimited parallelism) on a not-so-large PC
> (dual 2GHz, 2GB) with all the Avast! filters turned on. The system
> froze nearly solid for 5 minutes but actually completed the build with
> no fork misses whatsoever. Congrats!

Thanks!  I love positive feedback :)

Corinna

@ 2012-03-28 20:51 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.
>
> This package is usually installed and updated automatically.  In the
> default view of setup.exe you won't even see it.

Thank you very much (even though I'd just added the same functionality
to my setup batch script).

Minor nit: rebaseall picks up a file with the suffix ".osc" in the texmf
tree that isn't actually a DLL.

> The purpose of this package is to run rebaseall automatically after any
> package containing DLLs is updated.

How is that supposed to work, exactly?  There seems to be only a single
package having _autorebase as a dependency and the _autorebase.bat file
has been renamed .done after the first installation.

Also, I think it would be nicer in the long run to have an
/etc/autorebase.d/ that can be used to drop DLL lists in there that work
together with the "-T" option of rebase.  That way, packages would
ultimately become responsible for listing their rebaseable files and
users (administrators) could drop list with additional DLL that got
installed without setup.exe.  As long as packages haven't been updated
to provide those lists, the names could be extracted from /etc/setup,
like they are currently (I think).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29  8:04   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-03-29  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 28 22:50, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > I've added a new package called _autorebase to the Cygwin distro.
> >
> > This package is usually installed and updated automatically.  In the
> > default view of setup.exe you won't even see it.
>
> Thank you very much (even though I'd just added the same functionality
> to my setup batch script).
>
> Minor nit: rebaseall picks up a file with the suffix ".osc" in the texmf
> tree that isn't actually a DLL.

Sure?  Have a look into the rebaseall script:

  DefaultSuffixes='dll|so|oct'
  [...]
  Suffixes="${DefaultSuffixes}"
  [...]
  case $Platform in
    cygwin)
      find /etc/setup -name '*.lst.gz' | xargs gzip -d -c |
	grep -E "\.($Suffixes)\$" |
	sed -e '/cygwin1\.dll$/d' -e '/cyglsa.*\.dll$/d' \
	    -e '/sys-root\/mingw/d' -e 's/^/\//' \
	    -e '/d?ash\.exe$/d' -e '/rebase\.exe$/d' >"${TmpFile}"
      ;;

I don't see how it should be able to pick up a file with the suffix .osc.

> > The purpose of this package is to run rebaseall automatically after any
> > package containing DLLs is updated.
>
> How is that supposed to work, exactly?  There seems to be only a single
> package having _autorebase as a dependency and the _autorebase.bat file
> has been renamed .done after the first installation.

You were using a not quite up-to-date mirror.  THis should be fixed
in the meantime.

_autorebase has a setup.hint file which results in adding itself to
the dependencies for all packages which come with files having the
suffix .dll, .sl, and .oct.  The problem was that the "upset" script
creating the setup.ini file only checks dependencies for newly uploaded
or update packages.  So at first, _autorebase was only added as a
dependency to the only updated package python-crypto.  But when we
realized it, cgf started the upset script from scratch, which is quite
a job and takes a couple of hours.  When I looked yesterday morning
(CEST), lots of dependencies to _autorebase have been added to setup.ini.

But, hmm, looks like there are still dependencies missing.  I don't see
dependencies to _autorebase in a lot of "lib" packages, like libgcc1,
or libopenssl100.

> Also, I think it would be nicer in the long run to have an
> /etc/autorebase.d/ that can be used to drop DLL lists in there that work
> together with the "-T" option of rebase.  That way, packages would
> ultimately become responsible for listing their rebaseable files and
> users (administrators) could drop list with additional DLL that got
> installed without setup.exe.  As long as packages haven't been updated
> to provide those lists, the names could be extracted from /etc/setup,
> like they are currently (I think).

Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
the cygwin-apps list.

@ 2012-03-29 10:16     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-29 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > Minor nit: rebaseall picks up a file with the suffix ".osc" in the texmf
> > tree that isn't actually a DLL.
>
> Sure?  Have a look into the rebaseall script:
> I don't see how it should be able to pick up a file with the suffix .osc.

Slip of fingers. It picks up:

/usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/tm-start.oct

from:
/etc/setup/TeXmacs.lst.gz

This should have a .m suffix really since it contains octave commands.

> You were using a not quite up-to-date mirror.  THis should be fixed
> in the meantime.

Trickling in by now.  Cygports doesn't seem to have these dependencies yet and
of course I'll have to add them to my locally rolled packages, since I don't use
upset/genini for them.

> Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
> Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
> the cygwin-apps list.

Thanks for the invitation.

Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 12:15       ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-03-29 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/29/2012 12:15 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>>> Minor nit: rebaseall picks up a file with the suffix ".osc" in the texmf
>>> tree that isn't actually a DLL.
>>
>> Sure?  Have a look into the rebaseall script:
>> I don't see how it should be able to pick up a file with the suffix .osc.
>
> Slip of fingers. It picks up:
>
> /usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/tm-start.oct
>
> from:
> /etc/setup/TeXmacs.lst.gz
>
> This should have a .m suffix really since it contains octave commands.

raised the issue upstream

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 17:46         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-29 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri writes:
>> /usr/share/TeXmacs/plugins/octave/octave/tm-start.oct
>>
>> This should have a .m suffix really since it contains octave commands.
>
> raised the issue upstream
> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?36033

Thank you.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 21:15       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-29 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz writes:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
>> Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
>> the cygwin-apps list.
>
> Thanks for the invitation.

Is there a reason gmane.os.cygwin.applications is configured as
"unidirectional" instead of "non-public"?  Not being able to post
through GMane would be rather painful for me...

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 22:16         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-03-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/29/2012 5:15 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Achim Gratz writes:
>> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>>> Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
>>> Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
>>> the cygwin-apps list.
>>
>> Thanks for the invitation.
>
> Is there a reason gmane.os.cygwin.applications is configured as
> "unidirectional" instead of "non-public"?  Not being able to post
> through GMane would be rather painful for me...

That's a question for GMane.  Cygwin has no association or control of
that channel.  But it's probably because cygwin-apps is a subscriber-only
mail list <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Just subscribe and see if that
helps.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-03-29 22:26           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-29 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 06:16:01PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>On 3/29/2012 5:15 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Achim Gratz writes:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the invitation.
>>
>> Is there a reason gmane.os.cygwin.applications is configured as
>> "unidirectional" instead of "non-public"?  Not being able to post
>> through GMane would be rather painful for me...
>
>That's a question for GMane.  Cygwin has no association or control of
>that channel.  But it's probably because cygwin-apps is a subscriber-only
>mail list <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Just subscribe and see if that
>helps.

That's exactly why you can't post.  We don't allow indiscriminate posting
to cygwin-apps from gmane.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 22:30           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-29 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin) writes:
> That's a question for GMane.  Cygwin has no association or control of
> that channel.  But it's probably because cygwin-apps is a subscriber-only
> mail list <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Just subscribe and see if that
> helps.

This is set up when the group is set up on GMane and can be requested to
be changed later via a webform on GMane.  Setting it to "unidirectional"
means absolutely no posting from GMane (besides the read-only
announcement lists, this is the only Cygwin list configured that way).
More appropriate might be "non-public" which means I must be subscribed
to be able to post — unless of course that "unidirectional" was a
conscious decision.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 22:35             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-03-29 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:
> That's exactly why you can't post.  We don't allow indiscriminate posting
> to cygwin-apps from gmane.

AFAIU, setting it to "non-public" achieves the same goal: you must be
subscribed to be able to post through GMane.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-03-29 22:36             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-29 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:30:08AM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Larry Hall (Cygwin) writes:
>> That's a question for GMane.  Cygwin has no association or control of
>> that channel.  But it's probably because cygwin-apps is a subscriber-only
>> mail list <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Just subscribe and see if that
>> helps.
>
>This is set up when the group is set up on GMane and can be requested to
>be changed later via a webform on GMane.  Setting it to "unidirectional"
>means absolutely no posting from GMane (besides the read-only
>announcement lists, this is the only Cygwin list configured that way).
>More appropriate might be "non-public" which means I must be subscribed
>to be able to post ??? unless of course that "unidirectional" was a
>conscious decision.

Not really an issue to be discussed in the Cygwin mailing list.  As
Larry said, take it up with gmane.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-04-18 13:37     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-18 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
> Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
> the cygwin-apps list.

Gmane still has cygwin-apps read-only, so I hope it is acceptable if I post it
here until that is resolved...  what I have implemented is to extract the list
of files to rebase into /etc/rebase/rebase_lst just like rebaseall would do.
Any extra files to rebase can be placed into list(s) in /etc/rebase/user.d (e.g.
perl5.10.1.lst as produced by perlrebase).  Instead of rebuilding the whole list
every time, just extract from those package lists that are newer than the
rebase_lst.  The update will be very fast even on systems which are struck by a
slow filesystem (in contrast to the initial build of the list, which is in
essence what the current autorebase script _always_ does).

---8<----->8---
#!/bin/ash
rebase_lst () {
    g="/etc/rebase/rebase_lst"
    if [ ! -e "${g}" ]; then
	touch -t 7001010000  /etc/rebase/rebase_lst
    fi
    for f in $( find /etc/setup -name '*.lst.gz' -newer ${g} ); do
	echo "Updating rebase information from ${f} in ${g}."
	cat >>"${g}" <<EOF
# Updating rebase information from ${f}.
EOF
	gzip -d -c ${f} |
	grep -E "\.($Suffixes)\$" |
	sed -e '/cygwin1\.dll$/d' -e '/cyglsa.*\.dll$/d' \
            -e '/sys-root\/mingw/d' -e 's/^/\//' \
            -e '/d?ash\.exe$/d' -e '/rebase\.exe$/d' \
	    >>"${g}"
    done
    mv "${g}" "${g}.old"
    cat >"${g}" <<EOF
# autogenerated, do not edit!
EOF
    cat "${g}.old" /etc/rebase/user.d/* | grep -v "^#" | sort -u >> "${g}"
    chmod 444 "${g}"
}
Suffixes='dll|so|oct'
rebase_lst
---8<----->8---

The two directories in /etc and the /bin/rebaselst script are dropped in via a
package.  In the installer script I then do something like that:

%CYGWIN_INST%\bin\ash -c "PATH=/bin cd /etc/rebase/user.d&&/bin/perlrebase"
%CYGWIN_INST%\bin\ash -c "PATH=/bin rebaselst"
%CYGWIN_INST%\bin\ash -c "PATH=/bin rebase -s -v -T /etc/rebase/rebase_lst"

I'll probably roll this into another script, but for now this seems to work
nicely enough.

Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-04-18 14:01       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-04-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 01:36:46PM +0000, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>> Feel free to participate in further development of the rebase tool.
>> Patches for useful functionality is always welcome.  The right forum is
>> the cygwin-apps list.
>
>Gmane still has cygwin-apps read-only, so I hope it is acceptable if I
>post it here until that is resolved...

I guess I have to respond to this every time it comes up.

cygwin-apps is SUPPOSED TO BE read only in gmane.  It's a
subscriber-post-only mailing list.  If we opened the list up to every
random user of gmane it would completely defeat the purpose of this
policy.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-04-18 15:40         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:
> I guess I have to respond to this every time it comes up.

Sigh...

> cygwin-apps is SUPPOSED TO BE read only in gmane.  It's a
> subscriber-post-only mailing list.  If we opened the list up to every
> random user of gmane it would completely defeat the purpose of this
> policy.

All I'm asking is that _subscribers_ (I already am subscribed to
cygwin-apps) be able to post through Gmane.  That's the "private" option
in Gmane, "read-only" means _nobody_ can post.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-04-18 17:00           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-04-18 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 05:39:34PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>> I guess I have to respond to this every time it comes up.
>
>Sigh...
>
>> cygwin-apps is SUPPOSED TO BE read only in gmane.  It's a
>> subscriber-post-only mailing list.  If we opened the list up to every
>> random user of gmane it would completely defeat the purpose of this
>> policy.
>
>All I'm asking is that _subscribers_ (I already am subscribed to
>cygwin-apps) be able to post through Gmane.  That's the "private" option
>in Gmane, "read-only" means _nobody_ can post.

Ok, then, let me amend what I said.  If you have issues with gmane then
take it up with gmane.  There's no reason to mention gmane issues in the
cygwin lists.  We obviously don't control gmane.  It's off-topic and
uninteresting.

If you can't bring yourself use email to participate in a cygwin-apps
thread then don't move the thread here.  That's just rude.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New package: _autorebase.  Call rebaseall after installing new or updated DLLs
@ 2012-04-18 17:01       ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2012-04-18 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Gmane still has cygwin-apps read-only, so I hope it is acceptable if I post it
> here until that is resolved...

An email reply to cygwin-apps_at_cygwin.com will get your message posted.
It is a little more work, but Forte Agent for example allows you to reply
by email to a Usenet post.