* Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-06 10:57 Bertrand Latinville
From: Bertrand Latinville @ 2012-06-06 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'm using cygwin 1.7.75 on Windows 8 Release Preview 64 bits.
Bash scripts are launched via jenkins.

I'm getting some problems with rsync giving fork errors.
This is not systematic,this happens once over 6 times.

building file list ... done
     1 [main] rsync 1728 fhandler_dev_zero::fixup_mmap_after_fork:
requested 0xFED00000 != 0x0 mem alloc base 0x0, state 0x10000, size
262144, Win32 error 487
   169 [main] rsync 1728 C:\cygwin\bin\rsync.exe: *** fatal error in
forked process - recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed
   547 [main] rsync 1728 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
rsync.exe.stackdump
     1 [main] rsync 2112 fork: child -1 - forked process 1728 died
unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 256, errno 11
rsync: fork failed in do_recv: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at
/home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/main.c(770)
[Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at
/home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/io.c(605)
[sender=3.0.9]

I saw sow topics about fork problem & rebase all.
Event though my installation is new,  I  tried a rebasall, but problem
still persist.

I'm facing problems only with rsync.(not using many exe anyway)

Same scripts run fine on Win7 machines.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-06 12:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-06-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  6 12:57, Bertrand Latinville wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using cygwin 1.7.75 on Windows 8 Release Preview 64 bits.
> Bash scripts are launched via jenkins.
>
> I'm getting some problems with rsync giving fork errors.
> This is not systematic,this happens once over 6 times.
>
> building file list ... done
>      1 [main] rsync 1728 fhandler_dev_zero::fixup_mmap_after_fork:
> requested 0xFED00000 != 0x0 mem alloc base 0x0, state 0x10000, size
> 262144, Win32 error 487

Apparently rsync calls mmap to create an anonymous mapping.  mmap
memory areas are allocated top down.  Also top-down allocated are
the OS areas which correspond to the PEB and the TEBs.  The above
memory collision is probably one where the mmap area collides with
a TEB or PEB.  I'm testing on W* as well and I'm running a W2012
server all the time since last Friday, but I didn't observe this
problem yet.  I also can't reproduce it with some arbitrary rsync -a
command.  What rsync command are you using?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-06 14:41   ` Bertrand Latinville
From: Bertrand Latinville @ 2012-06-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using

 rsync --chmod=ug=rwX -arvz --prune-empty-dirs  --include="*/"
--include-from=include-file.txt  --exclude="*" ${source_dir}/
${dest_dir}

The include list from include-file.txt is up to four lines with some
wildcard like
folder1/folder2/*.dll
folder3/**

2012/6/6 Corinna Vinschen

@ 2012-06-06 16:13     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-06-06 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  6 16:41, Bertrand Latinville wrote:
> I'm using
>
>  rsync --chmod=ug=rwX -arvz --prune-empty-dirs  --include="*/"
> --include-from=include-file.txt  --exclude="*" ${source_dir}/
> ${dest_dir}

Thanks.  I can confirm the effect.  For no apparent reason, the OS
reserves a 1 Megs shared memory region, top-down allocated, of which it
uses about 20K.  It's not the PEB or one of the TEBs, though.  Nor is
it a thread stack.  I checked, and it turns out that it's allocated
in every process, on 32 and 64 bit systems.  That's kind of worrying
since that's bound to collide with mmaped regions and pthread stacks a
lot.  I don't know what to do at this point.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-06 16:59       ` Nick Lowe
From: Nick Lowe @ 2012-06-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Urgh! Hmm.. Do you see the same effect when running the process in
question under the Windows 8 operating system context?

If you manifest and include:

<compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
      <application>
         <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows Vista -->
<supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>
<!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 7 -->
<supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>
<!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 8 -->
<supportedOS Id="{4a2f28e3-53b9-4441-ba9c-d69d4a4a6e38}"/>
      </application>
  </compatibility>
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848036(v=vs.85).aspx

Does the odd behaviour still persist?

Could it be possibly be something to do with the fault tolerant heap
(FTH) and changes they've made to it? I would try ensuring that is
switched off too...

(Process Hacker will show the context of a running process.)

Nick

@ 2012-06-06 18:30         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-06-06 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Please, don't http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
Thank you.

On Jun  6 17:59, Nick Lowe wrote:
> > Thanks.  I can confirm the effect.  For no apparent reason, the OS
> > reserves a 1 Megs shared memory region, top-down allocated, of which it
> > uses about 20K.  It's not the PEB or one of the TEBs, though.  Nor is
> > it a thread stack.  I checked, and it turns out that it's allocated
> > in every process, on 32 and 64 bit systems.  That's kind of worrying
> > since that's bound to collide with mmaped regions and pthread stacks a
> > lot.  I don't know what to do at this point.
>
> Urgh! Hmm.. Do you see the same effect when running the process in
> question under the Windows 8 operating system context?
>
> If you manifest and include:
>
> <compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
>       <application>
>          <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows Vista -->
> <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}"/>
> <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 7 -->
> <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}"/>
> <!--The ID below indicates application support for Windows 8 -->
> <supportedOS Id="{4a2f28e3-53b9-4441-ba9c-d69d4a4a6e38}"/>
>       </application>
>   </compatibility>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848036(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Does the odd behaviour still persist?

Yes.

> Could it be possibly be something to do with the fault tolerant heap
> (FTH) and changes they've made to it? I would try ensuring that is
> switched off too...

That's not the problem either.  This problem also occurs on the 2012
server which doesn't run FTH.

But thanks for any idea.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-07  8:12           ` Noel Grandin
From: Noel Grandin @ 2012-06-07  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2012-06-06 20:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun  6 17:59, Nick Lowe wrote:
>>> Thanks.  I can confirm the effect.  For no apparent reason, the OS
>>> reserves a 1 Megs shared memory region, top-down allocated, of which it
>>> uses about 20K.  It's not the PEB or one of the TEBs, though.  Nor is
>>> it a thread stack.  I checked, and it turns out that it's allocated
>>> in every process, on 32 and 64 bit systems.  That's kind of worrying
>>> since that's bound to collide with mmaped regions and pthread stacks a
>>> lot.  I don't know what to do at this point.

I assume you've seem the VMMap tool?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-07 14:36       ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2012-06-07 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Jun  6 16:41, Bertrand Latinville wrote:
>> I'm using
>>
>>   rsync --chmod=ug=rwX -arvz --prune-empty-dirs  --include="*/"
>> --include-from=include-file.txt  --exclude="*" ${source_dir}/
>> ${dest_dir}
> Thanks.  I can confirm the effect.  For no apparent reason, the OS
> reserves a 1 Megs shared memory region, top-down allocated, of which it
> uses about 20K.  It's not the PEB or one of the TEBs, though.  Nor is
> it a thread stack.  I checked, and it turns out that it's allocated
> in every process, on 32 and 64 bit systems.  That's kind of worrying
> since that's bound to collide with mmaped regions and pthread stacks a
> lot.  I don't know what to do at this point.
Given that the OS always gets there first, why not just adjust Cygwin's
definition of "top" for win8? Or does heap randomization move that
mystery chunk around?

Ryan

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-18 14:51         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-06-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  7 10:35, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> On 06/06/2012 12:12 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jun  6 16:41, Bertrand Latinville wrote:
> >>I'm using
> >>
> >>  rsync --chmod=ug=rwX -arvz --prune-empty-dirs  --include="*/"
> >>--include-from=include-file.txt  --exclude="*" ${source_dir}/
> >>${dest_dir}
> >Thanks.  I can confirm the effect.  For no apparent reason, the OS
> >reserves a 1 Megs shared memory region, top-down allocated, of which it
> >uses about 20K.  It's not the PEB or one of the TEBs, though.  Nor is
> >it a thread stack.  I checked, and it turns out that it's allocated
> >in every process, on 32 and 64 bit systems.  That's kind of worrying
> >since that's bound to collide with mmaped regions and pthread stacks a
> >lot.  I don't know what to do at this point.
> Given that the OS always gets there first, why not just adjust
> Cygwin's definition of "top" for win8? Or does heap randomization
> move that mystery chunk around?

Yes, the chunk is moved around.  Thousands of tests show a lowest
memory slot, but the problem is that top-down allocation is not a
manual functionality done by Cygwin.  It's just a flag in calls
to VirtualAlloc or MapViewOfFileEx.  Therefore, if we have to define
our own highest memory slot, it requires Cygwin to do some trickery
on its own, which was just not necessary so far.

I'm going to ask Microsoft about this issue first.  Maybe it's
something only in the release preview which will go away in the
gold release.  If so, I won't start to workaround it.

Corinna

Red Hat

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-06-18 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun  7 10:12, Noel Grandin wrote:

> I assume you've seem the VMMap tool?
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx

Yes, and I also know how to use /proc/$PID/maps to get a memory map
of a process.  It's not a problem to see the used memory slot.  The
problem is that it exists at all.  There's no such thing on pre-W8
systems.  Only the PEB and the TEBs are allocated top-down and they
usually don't collide.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Windows 8 Release Preview. fork problems with rsync
@ 2012-06-21 15:34 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-06-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures>?