* Can't resolve "Your group is currently "mkpasswd"'
@ 2012-07-19  2:35 cygwin
From: cygwin @ 2012-07-19  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just tried to set up cygwin on my new corporate pc (I have admin
privileges on the machine but not on the overall corporate network).

I keep getting the infamous 'Your group is currently "mkpasswd"' every
time I open a new terminal.

Since this is a domain, I first tried "mpasswd -l -d >| /etc/passwd"
but the domain lookup seemed to hang forever (after first generating
the local group portion). Note that "mkgroup -l -d >| /etc/group
worked but was slow.

I then tried "mkpasswd -l -c >| /etc/passwd" followed by "mkgroup -l
-c >| /etc/group"

But I still got the same 'mkpasswd' error message and indeed running
groups just returned 'mkpasswd' and running 'id -a' returned:
	   uid=400(MYUSERNAME) gid=401(mkpasswd) groups=401(mkpasswd)

I have never had this problem before on non-domain PC's.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this?

* Re: Can't resolve "Your group is currently "mkpasswd"'
@ 2012-07-19  7:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2012-07-19  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 18 22:35, cygwin@kosowsky.org wrote:
> I just tried to set up cygwin on my new corporate pc (I have admin
> privileges on the machine but not on the overall corporate network).
>
> I keep getting the infamous 'Your group is currently "mkpasswd"' every
> time I open a new terminal.
>
> Since this is a domain, I first tried "mpasswd -l -d >| /etc/passwd"
> but the domain lookup seemed to hang forever (after first generating
> the local group portion). Note that "mkgroup -l -d >| /etc/group
> worked but was slow.
>
> I then tried "mkpasswd -l -c >| /etc/passwd" followed by "mkgroup -l
> -c >| /etc/group"
>
> But I still got the same 'mkpasswd' error message and indeed running
> groups just returned 'mkpasswd' and running 'id -a' returned:
> 	   uid=400(MYUSERNAME) gid=401(mkpasswd) groups=401(mkpasswd)
>
> I have never had this problem before on non-domain PC's.
>
> Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this?

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd
Did you try the -d option?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Can't resolve "Your group is currently "mkpasswd"'
@ 2012-08-01 14:19 ` Mirko Vukovic
From: Mirko Vukovic @ 2012-08-01 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM, <...> wrote:

> I just tried to set up cygwin on my new corporate pc (I have admin
> privileges on the machine but not on the overall corporate network).
>
> I keep getting the infamous 'Your group is currently "mkpasswd"' every
> time I open a new terminal.
>
> Since this is a domain, I first tried "mpasswd -l -d >| /etc/passwd"
> but the domain lookup seemed to hang forever (after first generating
> the local group portion). Note that "mkgroup -l -d >| /etc/group
> worked but was slow.

In my case, mkpasswd -d is an exercise in patience (many minutes,
definitely less then 30), but it does eventually return a very long
list.  Let it run.

Mirko

* Re: Can't resolve "Your group is currently "mkpasswd"'
@ 2012-08-01 17:38   ` cygwin
From: cygwin @ 2012-08-01 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mirko Vukovic; +Cc: cygwin

Mirko Vukovic wrote at about 10:19:31 -0400 on Wednesday, August 1, 2012:
 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM, <...> wrote:
 > >
 > > I just tried to set up cygwin on my new corporate pc (I have admin
 > > privileges on the machine but not on the overall corporate network).
 > >
 > > I keep getting the infamous 'Your group is currently "mkpasswd"' every
 > > time I open a new terminal.
 > >
 > > Since this is a domain, I first tried "mpasswd -l -d >| /etc/passwd"
 > > but the domain lookup seemed to hang forever (after first generating
 > > the local group portion). Note that "mkgroup -l -d >| /etc/group
 > > worked but was slow.
 >

 > In my case, mkpasswd -d is an exercise in patience (many minutes,
 > definitely less then 30), but it does eventually return a very long
 > list.  Let it run.

I did that... but I still get the same error message and the group is
still all mkpasswd.

My /etc/passwd and /etc/group files "seem" right so I don't know why
it isn't working. Frustrating!