* tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-11 20:51 Aaron Schneider
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron Schneider @ 2012-07-11 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

$ touch myfile myfile.exe

$ tar -cvf mytar.tar myfile.exe myfile

$ tar -xvf mytar.tar

Only myfile will be written to the filesystem

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-11 21:03 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-07-11 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/11/2012 10:50 PM, Aaron Schneider wrote:

> $ touch myfile myfile.exe
>
> $ tar -cvf mytar.tar myfile.exe myfile
>
> $ tar -xvf mytar.tar
>
> Only myfile will be written to the filesystem

Aaron,
you are starting to bore.
it seems that you ignored every info given to you

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12  0:40 ` Steven Hartland
From: Steven Hartland @ 2012-07-12  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Schneider, cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-07-12  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:39:41AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>From: "Aaron Schneider"
>> $ touch myfile myfile.exe
>>
>> $ tar -cvf mytar.tar myfile.exe myfile
>>
>> $ tar -xvf mytar.tar
>>
>> Only myfile will be written to the filesystem
>
>Yep, apparently its "by design" :(
>
>It causes us pain regularly so we would like this fairly
>recent change reverted so behaviour is once again predicatable
>and it doesnt break simple takess like extracting archive.

Yes, yes.  The pain.  The pain.  Danger Will Robinson!

There really is not much point in rehashing this again under a different
subject.

If you or anyone would like to offer patches which change the behavior
while keeping everyone happy about .exe handling please do so.

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12  1:17     ` Steven Hartland
From: Steven Hartland @ 2012-07-12  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 01:39:41AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>>From: "Aaron Schneider"
>>> $ touch myfile myfile.exe
>>>
>>> $ tar -cvf mytar.tar myfile.exe myfile
>>>
>>> $ tar -xvf mytar.tar
>>>
>>> Only myfile will be written to the filesystem
>>
>>Yep, apparently its "by design" :(
>>
>>It causes us pain regularly so we would like this fairly
>>recent change reverted so behaviour is once again predicatable
>>and it doesnt break simple takess like extracting archive.
>
> Yes, yes.  The pain.  The pain.  Danger Will Robinson!
>
> There really is not much point in rehashing this again under a different
> subject.
>
> If you or anyone would like to offer patches which change the behavior
> while keeping everyone happy about .exe handling please do so.

Isn't the commit which changed the behaviour stored so where,
as this has worked fine in the past, so in theory it could be
just applied in reverse?

    Regards
    Steve

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12 12:05       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-07-12 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Hartland, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Hartland!

>> There really is not much point in rehashing this again under a different
>> subject.
>>
>> If you or anyone would like to offer patches which change the behavior
<emphasis>
>> while keeping everyone happy about .exe handling
</emphasis>
>> please do so.

> Isn't the commit which changed the behaviour stored so where,
> as this has worked fine in the past, so in theory it could be
> just applied in reverse?

Reading comprehension is the skill you should train. Really.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12 13:51         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-07-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/12/2012 8:03 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Steven Hartland!
>
>>> There really is not much point in rehashing this again under a different
>>> subject.
>>>
>>> If you or anyone would like to offer patches which change the behavior
> <emphasis>
>>> while keeping everyone happy about .exe handling
> </emphasis>
>>> please do so.
>
>> Isn't the commit which changed the behaviour stored so where,
>> as this has worked fine in the past, so in theory it could be
>> just applied in reverse?
>
> Reading comprehension is the skill you should train. Really.

Indeed Steven.  Please review all the comments from this thread and
the history of this change.  While you view this as a bug, others
view it as a feature.  This is one area where Cygwin has to try to
straddle the Windows and Linux worlds and there is no completely
painless solution.  There are multiple workarounds that have already
been presented to you if this new behavior doesn't suit your needs.
Or you can "wow" us all with your abilities to find a comprehensive
solution that no one has found before.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-07-12 16:26           ` Andy Hall
From: Andy Hall @ 2012-07-12 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 7/12/2012 8:03 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Steven Hartland!

> different

> > <emphasis>
> > </emphasis>
> >
> >> Isn't the commit which changed the behaviour stored so where,
> >> as this has worked fine in the past, so in theory it could be
> >> just applied in reverse?
> >
> > Reading comprehension is the skill you should train. Really.
>
> Indeed Steven.  Please review all the comments from this thread and
> the history of this change.  While you view this as a bug, others
> view it as a feature.  This is one area where Cygwin has to try to
> straddle the Windows and Linux worlds and there is no completely
> painless solution.  There are multiple workarounds that have already
> been presented to you if this new behavior doesn't suit your needs.
> Or you can "wow" us all with your abilities to find a comprehensive
> solution that no one has found before.
>
> --
> Larry

At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire, let me add my 2 cents worth to
this.

1.  As a long time and frequent user of tar and rsync to transfer files and
directories between Windows and various UNIX flavors, I have been astonished
(and severely burned) by the fact that transferring  files back and forth
between Windows and other UNIX machines via tar, rsync, cp -r or other
similar mechanisms are not idempotent operations, at least with respect to
file names and contents.  This violates the "principle of least
astonishment" not to mention that it breaks things in not so obvious and
surprising ways when it happens.

2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the execution
of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in the exec call
(and all its flavors) and no place else?  For example, it would seem that if
exec is asked to run "file" with no .exe extension and that file  does not
exist or is not executable, then it could try "file.exe" if that exists and
is executable.

Andy Hall

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12 16:42             ` Otto Meta
From: Otto Meta @ 2012-07-12 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> 2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the execution
> of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in the exec call
> (and all its flavors) and no place else?

make, for example? If you have a rule that creates "foo" from foo.c,
gcc will actually create "foo.exe". The next time you run make, it
wonÂ’t see "foo" and recreate "foo.exe", even if "foo.exe" is still
up to date.

With the special handling of .exe, when make checks for "foo", cygwin
checks "foo" first, doesnÂ’t find anything, and then checks "foo.exe",
returning its result to make and make is happy.

Anothen example: A script tries to execute "foo" from . , cygwin
executes "foo.exe" instead and the script thinks "foo" exists,
but a subsequent "touch foo" (or "rm foo" or whatever) fails, which
is massively inconsistent.

I consider the current handling of .exe files quite consistent.

Or, in other words, when forced to choose between the two pains,
IÂ’d rather endure this.

Otto

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-12 17:09               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-07-12 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 06:41:47PM +0200, Otto Meta wrote:
>> 2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the execution
>> of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in the exec call
>> (and all its flavors) and no place else?
>
>make, for example? If you have a rule that creates "foo" from foo.c,
>gcc will actually create "foo.exe". The next time you run make, it
>won?t see "foo" and recreate "foo.exe", even if "foo.exe" is still
>up to date.
>
>With the special handling of .exe, when make checks for "foo", cygwin
>checks "foo" first, doesn?t find anything, and then checks "foo.exe",
>returning its result to make and make is happy.
>
>Anothen example: A script tries to execute "foo" from . , cygwin
>executes "foo.exe" instead and the script thinks "foo" exists,
>but a subsequent "touch foo" (or "rm foo" or whatever) fails, which
>is massively inconsistent.
>
>I consider the current handling of .exe files quite consistent.
>
>Or, in other words, when forced to choose between the two pains,
>I?d rather endure this.

Thank you.  These were some of the considerations that were made
when the change was implemented.

That said, however, probably tar and friends could be modified to deal
with the situation of trying to create both file and file.exe.

Or, maybe there's a wonderful patch for the DLL which would fix this.

cgf

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-13  1:05             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-07-13  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Hall, cygwin

Greetings, Andy Hall!

> At the risk of adding more fuel to the fire, let me add my 2 cents worth to
> this.

> 1.  As a long time and frequent user of tar and rsync to transfer files and
> directories between Windows and various UNIX flavors, I have been astonished
> (and severely burned) by the fact that transferring  files back and forth
> between Windows and other UNIX machines via tar, rsync, cp -r or other
> similar mechanisms are not idempotent operations, at least with respect to
> file names and contents.  This violates the "principle of least
> astonishment" not to mention that it breaks things in not so obvious and
> surprising ways when it happens.

This is to be expected. The ways *NIX and Windows store file metadata are
different. Very different. Starting from differences in sets of allowed
character for file names, and to the subtle difference in ACL handling.
With all that lie in between.

> 2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the execution
> of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in the exec call
> (and all its flavors) and no place else?

It actually have VERY simple answer.

test -x file && command

@ 2012-07-13 16:20               ` Andy Hall
From: Andy Hall @ 2012-07-13 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > 2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the
> execution
> > of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in the exec call
> > (and all its flavors) and no place else?
>
> make, for example? If you have a rule that creates "foo" from foo.c,
> gcc will actually create "foo.exe". The next time you run make, it
> won't see "foo" and recreate "foo.exe", even if "foo.exe" is still
> up to date.
>
> With the special handling of .exe, when make checks for "foo", cygwin
> checks "foo" first, doesn't find anything, and then checks "foo.exe",
> returning its result to make and make is happy.
>
> Anothen example: A script tries to execute "foo" from . , cygwin
> executes "foo.exe" instead and the script thinks "foo" exists,
> but a subsequent "touch foo" (or "rm foo" or whatever) fails, which
> is massively inconsistent.
>
> I consider the current handling of .exe files quite consistent.
>
> Or, in other words, when forced to choose between the two pains,
> I'd rather endure this.
>
> Otto

Well, this seems to be something that has to be addressed specifically in
make and gcc (and other similar places).  If make has a rule to create "foo"
from foo.c, then that is what it should do!  Dennis Ritchie would turn over
in his grave is he heard that commands like tar, rsync, zip, ... were not
idempotent WRT at least filenames and contents, let alone permissions.

Andy

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-13 17:26                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-07-13 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 09:20:11AM -0700, Andy Hall wrote:
>>>2.  Since this is a "Windows thing", is there some reason why the
>>>execution of "file" or "file.exe" isn't handled as a special case in
>>>the exec call (and all its flavors) and no place else?
>>
>>make, for example?  If you have a rule that creates "foo" from foo.c,
>>gcc will actually create "foo.exe".  The next time you run make, it
>>won't see "foo" and recreate "foo.exe", even if "foo.exe" is still up
>>to date.
>>
>>With the special handling of .exe, when make checks for "foo", cygwin
>>checks "foo" first, doesn't find anything, and then checks "foo.exe",
>>returning its result to make and make is happy.
>>
>>Anothen example: A script tries to execute "foo" from .  , cygwin
>>executes "foo.exe" instead and the script thinks "foo" exists, but a
>>subsequent "touch foo" (or "rm foo" or whatever) fails, which is
>>massively inconsistent.
>>
>>I consider the current handling of .exe files quite consistent.
>>
>>Or, in other words, when forced to choose between the two pains, I'd
>>rather endure this.
>
>Well, this seems to be something that has to be addressed specifically
>in make and gcc (and other similar places).  If make has a rule to
>create "foo" from foo.c, then that is what it should do! Dennis Ritchie
>would turn over in his grave is he heard that commands like tar, rsync,
>zip, ...  were not idempotent WRT at least filenames and contents, let
>alone permissions.

I didn't know Dennis Ritchie but I'll bet that, if we were still alive,
he would actually be intelligent enough and pragmatic enough to listen
to rationales for a behavior and, if the problem really interested him
enough, he'd undoubtedly do more than just whine.  He'd offer solutions.

I think this subject has been run into the ground.  Although I'll grant
you that positing the in-grave behavior of Dennis Ritchie is new, it
isn't helpful, and there is nothing else in this tedious discussion
which has offered any useful new insight, let alone actual code changes.
Heaven forbid that someone would actually look at the Cygwin code and
make informed comments.

So, everyone, please let this drop unless you have a constructive
suggestion.

This is your mailing list administrator speaking.

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-07-13 17:40                   ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2012-07-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/13/12 10:26 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> So, everyone, please let this drop unless you have a constructive
> suggestion.

Speaking of pragmatism: what about a CYGWIN environment variable to
turn off the behavior? That way, people like the OP could extract
their archives without worry, and it wouldn't affect the majority of
people. We could go one step beyond that and have rsync, tar, and so
on turn off the feature internally too so that everything just works.

* Re: tar won't extract all files when a file with exe extension precedes the same without extension inside the archive
@ 2012-09-04 23:53 ` Steven Hartland
From: Steven Hartland @ 2012-09-04 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Schneider, cygwin

Quite an old issue, its due to the special handling of .exe files if you search the archives you'll find lots of mentions of it.

    Regards
    Steve

@ 2012-09-05  6:18   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-09-05  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:52:29AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>Quite an old issue,

Uh yeah.  So really no need to resurrect it.

cgf