* Problems with patch
@ 2013-06-27 10:56 Alexey Pavlov
From: Alexey Pavlov @ 2013-06-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Prereq:
Having two files with the same name in directory. One file without
extension, second with ".exe". For example: "configure" and
"configure.exe".
I want patch "configure".
During patch Cygwin delete "configure.exe" and I have only "configure".

Regards,
Alexey.

* Re: Problems with patch
@ 2013-06-27 11:17 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-06-27 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 6/27/2013 12:49 PM, Alexey Pavlov ha scritto:
> Prereq:
> Having two files with the same name in directory. One file without
> extension, second with ".exe". For example: "configure" and
> "configure.exe".
> I want patch "configure".
> During patch Cygwin delete "configure.exe" and I have only "configure".
>
> Regards,
> Alexey.

Alexey,
do not use two files in the same directory with and
without ".exe" extension

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-exe

It is a cygwin limitation to solve "magically" the need of ".exe"
for binary programs.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Problems with patch
@ 2013-06-27 11:21   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2013-06-27 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:13 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
> Il 6/27/2013 12:49 PM, Alexey Pavlov ha scritto:
>
>> Prereq:
>> Having two files with the same name in directory. One file without
>> extension, second with ".exe". For example: "configure" and
>> "configure.exe".
>> I want patch "configure".
>> During patch Cygwin delete "configure.exe" and I have only "configure".
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alexey.
>

> Alexey,
> do not use two files in the same directory with and
> without ".exe" extension

Regardless, Cygwin should not go deleting the .exe when the basename
file exists.  A work-around may be to append a '.' character to the
end of the file name.  I've used this method in the past but have not
tested it with recent Cygwin's.

--
Earnie

* Re: Problems with patch
@ 2013-06-27 11:29 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-27 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 27 13:49, Alexey Pavlov wrote:
> Prereq:
> Having two files with the same name in directory. One file without
> extension, second with ".exe". For example: "configure" and
> "configure.exe".
> I want patch "configure".
> During patch Cygwin delete "configure.exe" and I have only "configure".

This is by design.  .exe files are handled by Cygwin as if they don't
have a .exe suffix in all circumstances, no matter what.  This has been
discussed already on this list in past.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Problems with patch
@ 2013-06-27 11:34     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-06-27 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 6/27/2013 1:17 PM, Earnie Boyd ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 7:13 AM, marco atzeri wrote:
>> Il 6/27/2013 12:49 PM, Alexey Pavlov ha scritto:
>>
>>> Prereq:
>>> Having two files with the same name in directory. One file without
>>> extension, second with ".exe". For example: "configure" and
>>> "configure.exe".
>>> I want patch "configure".
>>> During patch Cygwin delete "configure.exe" and I have only "configure".
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Alexey.
>>

>> Alexey,
>> do not use two files in the same directory with and
>> without ".exe" extension
>>

> Regardless, Cygwin should not go deleting the .exe when the basename
> file exists.  A work-around may be to append a '.' character to the
> end of the file name.  I've used this method in the past but have not
> tested it with recent Cygwin's.

The workaround is "do not do it".
For cygwin "configure.exe" is also "configure", trying to outsmart this
fact is prone to failure.

Regards
Marco