* Bind server
@ 2013-11-07  9:50 wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-11-07  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just installed BIND 9.9.3-P2 (Extended Support Version) <id:d8a6fe8b>
using 32-bit setup-x86.exe.   I ran /usr/sbin/named-config and then
cygrunsrv -S named.

Bind's named server fails.  It goes get started, but immediately dies.

The Events Log shows the following:
named: PID 3848: `named' service stopped, exit status: 1.
named: PID 3952: exiting (due to fatal error).
named: PID 3952: loading configuration: file not found.
named: PID 3952: open: /etc/named.conf: file not found.
named: PID 3952: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'.
named: PID 3848: `named' service started.

Looking in /etc  there is no  named.conf file.  Is this an oversight in packaging?

Any advice on getting named up and running (I don't have the expertise yet to quickly write up a named.conf file?)

Regards

* Re: Bind server
@ 2013-11-07 10:29 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2013-11-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

wynfield writes:
> Looking in /etc  there is no  named.conf file.  Is this an oversight in
packaging?

> Any advice on getting named up and running (I don't have the expertise yet
to quickly write up a named.conf
> file?)

named.conf is going to be different for every installation.  It's where you
define the domains that bind will serve.  There are lots of details that can
be gotten wrong.  If you get certain specific ones wrong your bind server
can be victimized into participating in DNS attacks.

Why do you need to run a DNS server?  Is this for a local network only or do
you intend to expose it to the Internet?

The knowledge needed to correctly set up named.conf is kind of specialized.
 If we have some ISP admins on the list, maybe you'll get more specific help
but your best bet for something like this is an O'Reilly book or maybe the
ISC website (ISC being the folks who supply/support bind).

..mark

* Re: Bind server
@ 2013-11-08  0:02   ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-11-08  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark,
  thank you for the knowledgable information you provided.  I am just in the learning phase and now realize how much more I need to dig into the subject to learn more.

Cheers