* Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
@ 2013-11-29 14:25 wynfield
       [not found] ` <144720399.20131201021452@freemail.ru>
From: wynfield @ 2013-11-29 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to an MySQL server from an http web-page.  I ran into a fatal error.

The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:

 "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"

The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.

What do I need to do to get this important extension and install it in for my cygwin environment?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
@ 2013-11-30 20:59 ` Balaji Venkataraman
       [not found] ` <144720399.20131201021452@freemail.ru>
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2013-11-30 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM,  <wynfield @ gmail.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to an MySQL server from an http web-page.  I ran into a fatal error.
>
> The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:
>
>  "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"
>
> The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.

Have you installed the php-mysqli package?

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
@ 2013-12-01  1:22   ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-12-01  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM, wynfield wrote:
> > I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to an MySQL server from an http web-page.  I ran into a fatal error.
> >
> > The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:
> >  "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"
> > The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.
>
> Have you installed the php-mysqli package?

No. I did look for one for serveral hours, but haven't found one yet.
Can you give me a URL to where one is.

Thank you.

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
       [not found] ` <144720399.20131201021452@freemail.ru>
@ 2013-12-01  1:27   ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-12-01  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin  wrote:

> wgc> I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to
> wgc> an MySQL server from an http web-page.
>
> Why you are doing it with Cygwin? There's a native MySQL server, native PHP
> and native Apache server, that works together very well.

You might as wel ask why am I using cygwin at all, since there's a proprietary Microsoft operating system and it works very well.

> What is Cygwin-specific in your aim, that you go into a trouble of running all
> the suite under Cygwin?

A posix environment is one thing, education, compatibility and transporting are some others.

> wgc> I ran into a fatal error.
> wgc> The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:
> wgc>  "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"
> wgc> The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.
> wgc> What do I need to do to get this important extension and install it in for my cygwin environment?
> wgc> Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Install native applications. Also, switch to PDO ASAP. mysqli_* family of
> functions isn't much better than mysql_* ones.
You apparently didn't understand my question.
It relates to cygwin and mysqli and my attempts to learn and build using it, and not Microsoft Windows.

> --
> Sincerely, Andrey Repin
> mailto:anrdaemon@freemail.ru
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...
Not to worry, I can understand it.

Regards

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
@ 2013-12-01  7:00     ` Balaji Venkataraman
       [not found]       ` <20131202015732.3176@binki>
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2013-12-01  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 5:22 PM,  wynfield wrote:

> Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM, wynfield wrote:
>> > I am attempting to learn php programming together with interfacing it to an MySQL server from an http web-page.  I ran into a fatal error.
>> >
>> > The httpd2 server logs shows the following message:
>> >  "PHP Fatal error:  Class 'mysqli' not found"
>> > The phpinfo() function has no mention of the mysqli extension.
>>
>> Have you installed the php-mysqli package?
>
> No. I did look for one for serveral hours, but haven't found one yet.
> Can you give me a URL to where one is.

http://cygwinports.org/

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
       [not found]       ` <20131202015732.3176@binki>
@ 2013-12-01 18:20         ` Balaji Venkataraman
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2013-12-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wynfield, Cygwin

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM,  <wynfield> wrote:

> Re:  http://cygwinports.org/
>
> Thanks for the url.  I found the proper package there.
> I appeciate the information.

Good to know. Please use the list for so that it may help others in future.

* Re: Cygwin's PHP & MySQL
@ 2013-12-02  1:43           ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2013-12-02  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I meant for this to go to the list so that others can find the cygwin ports site
which has ported many useful and needed packages to cygwin, which are not in the main
base distribution.

This is where I found the php_MySQLi extension.  This interface to MySQL is an improved version of the older PHP MySQL driver,"offering various benefits.le I needed for interfacing php to MySQL databases.

Here is the url for the site:  http://cygwinports.org/

Regards