* I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-11-30 22:31 Katherine Moss
From: Katherine Moss @ 2013-11-30 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey all,
Is there a certain way one has to install ProFTPD for Cygwin these days?  Is it only available as sources at the moment?  I'm asking because I've tried installing it both via Cyg-Get and via Chocolatey and it's direct Cygwin integration.  Neither way seems to bring the package into my local environment.  And if it is only available via source, is there a Cygwin install method documented on the Wiki somewhere?  I'm asking since I've tried to search for this stuff before and I can find nothing useful.

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-11-30 22:57 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2013-11-30 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/30/2013 4:31 PM, Katherine Moss wrote:

> Is there a certain way one has to install ProFTPD for Cygwin
> these days?

Use setup-{x86,x86_64}.exe, the package is called proftpd.

Then follow the proftpd-1.2.10.README relevant instructions.

> Is it only available as sources at the moment?  I'm
> asking because I've tried installing it both via Cyg-Get and via
> Chocolatey and it's direct Cygwin integration.  Neither way seems to
> bring the package into my local environment.  And if it is only
> available via source, is there a Cygwin install method documented on
> the Wiki somewhere?  I'm asking since I've tried to search for this
> stuff before and I can find nothing useful.

The "usual search" is using http://cygwin.com/packages/ or the
equivalent cygcheck option.

--
René Berber

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-11-30 23:00 ` marco atzeri
       [not found]   ` <97ca96e074344373959ffd703f9ea90f@BN1PR01MB135.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-11-30 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 11/30/2013 11:31 PM, Katherine Moss ha scritto:
> Hey all,
> Is there a certain way one has to install ProFTPD for Cygwin these days?  Is it only available as sources at the moment?  I'm asking because I've tried installing it both via Cyg-Get and via Chocolatey and it's direct Cygwin integration.  Neither way seems to bring the package into my local environment.  And if it is only available via source, is there a Cygwin install method documented on the Wiki somewhere?  I'm asking since I've tried to search for this stuff before and I can find nothing useful.

What about using the setup ?
http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-12-01  2:18   ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]   ` <97ca96e074344373959ffd703f9ea90f@BN1PR01MB135.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-12-01  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 11:57:58PM +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
>Il 11/30/2013 11:31 PM, Katherine Moss ha scritto:
>> Hey all,
>> Is there a certain way one has to install ProFTPD for Cygwin these days?  Is it only available as sources at the moment?  I'm asking because I've tried installing it both via Cyg-Get and via Chocolatey and it's direct Cygwin integration.  Neither way seems to bring the package into my local environment.  And if it is only available via source, is there a Cygwin install method documented on the Wiki somewhere?  I'm asking since I've tried to search for this stuff before and I can find nothing useful.
>
>What about using the setup ?
>http://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe

It's so crazy that it just might work.

cgf

@ 2013-12-01  8:49     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-12-01  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Moss, cygwin

Il 12/1/2013 1:09 AM, Katherine Moss ha scritto:
> I'd do that if the setup program were more accessible.  And by the way, chocolateydepends on the use of Cygwin setup in order to install Cygwin programs
from the command line; my preferred way considering I use screen readers
as assistive technology and the Cygwin setup program is only accessible
on the most basic level; that is, only the most basic functionality is
able to be interpreted and red properly by a screen reader.  The rest
would require sighted assistance for me if it weren't for Cyg-Get and
Chocolatey.

Ok, you forgot to highlight that, and it was not my first thought.
This is clearly a weakness of the current setup implementation.

As basic install

   setup-x86.exe -P proftpd -q

should install the package you are looking for, without the need
of additional software.
It works for me, just tested.

I suggest to contact the chocolatey/cyg-get team
to check any problem on their side

Marco

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-12-01  9:33       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-01  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri writes:
> Ok, you forgot to highlight that, and it was not my first thought.
> This is clearly a weakness of the current setup implementation.
>
> As basic install
>
>   setup-x86.exe -P proftpd -q
>
> should install the package you are looking for, without the need
> of additional software.
> It works for me, just tested.
>
> I suggest to contact the chocolatey/cyg-get team
> to check any problem on their side

I've had a look at what cyg-get is and how it (likely) works.  The
problem with cyg-get is not that it doesn't use setup.exe, it is that it
has no way of listing the available packages.  That's even mentioned as
a bug somewhere.

So, to answer the original question, you'd first have to find out which
package (if any) provides proftpd (using the Cygwin package search, URL
below) and then give the package name thus obtained to cyg-get, which
will call setup.exe to install it.

http://cygwin.com/packages/
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=proftpd&arch=x86

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-12-01 19:03       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-12-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 09:49:15AM +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
>Il 12/1/2013 1:09 AM, Katherine Moss ha scritto:
>>I'd do that if the setup program were more accessible.  And by the way,
>>chocolateydepends on the use of Cygwin setup in order to install Cygwin
>>programs from the command line; my preferred way considering I use
>>screen readers as assistive technology and the Cygwin setup program is
>>only accessible on the most basic level; that is, only the most basic
>>functionality is able to be interpreted and red properly by a screen
>>reader.  The rest would require sighted assistance for me if it werent
>>for Cyg-Get and Chocolatey.

We'd be happy to take any patches which make setup.exe more accessible
but it is unlikely that anyone who currently hacks on setup.exe is going
to even understand what is required to make it work with a screen
reader.  OTOH, this may just be a case of your not understanding how to
use the setup.exe command options.

We don't support either cyg-get or "cholatey" (this is the first I've
heard of it) here.  If you want help here you're going to have to try to
use setup.exe command line options.  Otherwise, if you want to use other
ways to install Cygwin then your best bet is to ask the people who are
providing you with the other ways what you need to do.

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-12-01 19:26         ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-12-01 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Il 12/1/2013 8:03 PM, Christopher Faylor ha scritto:

> We don't support either cyg-get or "cholatey" (this is the first I've
> heard of it) here.

nether I ever heard before, but I find funny that on

http://chocolatey.org/packages/cyg-get

the Authors and Copyrights Owner are reported as Redhat.

Regards
Marco

* Re: I'm trying to get ProFTPD installed, and I can't seem to pull down the package from the Cygwin repositories
@ 2013-12-01 19:42           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-12-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 08:26:37PM +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
>Il 12/1/2013 8:03 PM, Christopher Faylor ha scritto:
>
>> We don't support either cyg-get or "cholatey" (this is the first I've
>> heard of it) here.
>
>nether I ever heard before, but I find funny that on
>
>http://chocolatey.org/packages/cyg-get
>
>the Authors and Copyrights Owner are reported as Redhat.

Heh.  I think 99% of the Net thinks that Cygwin is a Red Hat project
populated by Red Hat engineers.  That used to bug me even when I worked
for Red Hat.