* Cygrunsrv starts sshd twice after disconnect (1.7.25 i686 WinXP)
@ 2013-12-18 10:36 Alexander Kriegisch
From: Alexander Kriegisch @ 2013-12-18 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have sshd running as a Windows service, installed via cygrunsrv. It basically works fine, but once a day (maybe after DSL reconnect) when I try to re-open my connection to the PC, I notice that some reverse tunnels cannot be established. Upon further investigation I have found that two sshd.exe processes are running, one of which can be stopped via the Windows Services dialog, but the other one is still running, blocking the ports which my reverse tunnels should use as listening ports on the Windows machine.

The registry says that sshd is started with -D option as is to be expected. So everything seems fine. Can somebody tell me why to sshd processes are running? If I kill the zombie one, the Windows service works as sxpected and I can establish my reverse tunnels again.
--
Alexander Kriegisch

* Re: Cygrunsrv starts sshd twice after disconnect (1.7.25 i686 WinXP)
@ 2014-01-14 21:55 ` Alexander Kriegisch
From: Alexander Kriegisch @ 2014-01-14 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kriegisch; +Cc: cygwin

Ping. I have not received any answers in four weeks. If I can provide more info please tell me what, how, ..

@ 2014-01-15  0:03   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-15  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/14/2014 4:55 PM, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> Ping. I have not received any answers in four weeks. If I can provide
> more  info please tell me what, how, ..

I see a second 'sshd' process created when I login to the server.  The
second has the first as its parent PID.  From that, I'll gather that
the service forked a child process to handle the client (I did not
consult the OpenSSH source to verify this is what actually happens
though).  The forked process ends when the client session ends.  This
pattern repeats for any and all ssh sessions I start, sequentially or in
parallel.  I'm not able to immediately reproduce the behavior you describe,
even if I stop and restart sshd.  If you're still experiencing it, I'd
recommend trying to restart your service and/or looking for BLODA.

If you need to follow-up with the list, check out the problem reporting
guidelines found at this link: <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  We
need to see your cygcheck output (*attached*) and to know more about
what you're doing, seeing, and when this happens.  For instance, is
the rogue process actually marked as a zombie?  Is it tied to your
DSL line drop or something else?  Do all clients experience this or
just one/some?  What does it look like on the client side?  Have you
run the server (as a service!) with debug flags on to see what the
debug output says?  How about the clients?  I'll stop the questioning
here. ;-)

--
Larry

A: Yes.