* 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-08 13:42 George jiang
From: George jiang @ 2015-04-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
   I am using a thinkpad laptop preinstalled win8 system, later
upgraded to win8.1. I installed the latest version of cygwin, found
when using vim editor can not backspace to delete characters, press
the arrow keys appear 'A', 'B' and other characters. I follow the
online presentation solutions, copied from a vimrc_example.vim ubentu
system files to / home / xx folder and renamed .vimrc, the results
still does not work. I ask this is a bug it? Please help.

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-08 19:38 ` JAS gmail
From: JAS gmail @ 2015-04-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George jiang; +Cc: cygwin

i have a very similar problem. any help on this? many thanks...vim and vi same effects.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2015-04-08 22:09   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-04-08 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 08:38:11PM +0100, JAS gmail wrote:
> i have a very similar problem. any help on this? many thanks...vim and vi same effects.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 8 Apr 2015, at 14:42, George jiang <<snip>> wrote:

Please don't post raw email addresses in replies, and please make sure
to quote messages and reply below the context, not above.

In practice, this probably means not using your iPhone to post replies
to this list at all -- I suspect you can't configure that mailer to do
these.

For references, see:
https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-08 22:16 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2015-04-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 09:42:55PM +0800, George jiang wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am using a thinkpad laptop preinstalled win8 system, later
> upgraded to win8.1. I installed the latest version of cygwin, found
> when using vim editor can not backspace to delete characters, press
> the arrow keys appear 'A', 'B' and other characters. I follow the
> online presentation solutions, copied from a vimrc_example.vim ubentu
> system files to / home / xx folder and renamed .vimrc, the results
> still does not work. I ask this is a bug it? Please help.

You've really not given us much to go on here.  For a start, it would be
really useful if you could read the problem reporting guidelines at the
link below, which will point you at the various bits of information that
we'd need to be able to work out what's going on.

In particular, we need exact step-by-step instructions of what you're
doing, the behaviour you're seeing, and how that differs from the
behaviour you'd expect to see.  That way we can tell you whether what's
happening is a bug or not, and if it is a bug, we'll be able to do the
same things ourselves so we can see exactly where the bug is to fix it.

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-09 16:55   ` Weston Turner
From: Weston Turner @ 2015-04-09 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.

Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim under
Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right. Vim under
Cygwin places:

in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash on
Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as file input,
but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about in the file.

Regards,
Weston

@ 2015-04-09 17:28     ` David Macek
From: David Macek @ 2015-04-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9. 4. 2015 18:54, Weston Turner wrote:
> I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.
>
> Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim under
> Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right. Vim under
> Cygwin places:

> in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash on
> Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as file input,
> but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about in the file.

I thought this would be a widely known problem by now. :)

Does setting `set nocp` in .vimrc help? (More possible solutions here: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_arrow_keys_that_display_A_B_C_D_on_remote_shell)

--
David Macek

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-09 17:34     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-04-09 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  9 09:54, Weston Turner wrote:
> I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.
>
> Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim under
> Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right. Vim under
> Cygwin places:

> in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash on
> Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as file input,
> but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about in the file.

WJFFM, as on Linux, in command mode as well as in insert mode.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-09 18:53       ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2015-04-09 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Apr  9 09:54, Weston Turner wrote:
>> I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim
>> under Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right,
>> right. Vim under Cygwin places:
>>
>> C C D D B B A A
>>
>> in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash
>> on Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as
>> file input, but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about
>> in the file.
>
> WJFFM, as on Linux, in command mode as well as in insert mode.

You probably have a .vimrc on Cygwin, and the same or /etc/vimrc on Linux.

The real question:

Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?

On Linux I have one with the following contents (which fixes the
thread problem):

" Begin /etc/vimrc

set nocompatible
set backspace=2
syntax on
set background=dark
if (&term == "iterm") || (&term == "putty")
  set background=dark
endif

" End /etc/vimrc

The 5th line doesn't work with the version installed on Cygwin, so you
have to comment it; but it would be nice to also have syntax highlighting.
--
René Berber

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-09 19:25         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-04-09 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  9 13:51, René Berber wrote:
> On 4/9/2015 12:34 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Apr  9 09:54, Weston Turner wrote:
> >> I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.
> >>
> >> Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim
> >> under Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right,
> >> right. Vim under Cygwin places:
> >>
> >> C C D D B B A A
> >>
> >> in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash
> >> on Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as
> >> file input, but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about
> >> in the file.
> >
> > WJFFM, as on Linux, in command mode as well as in insert mode.
>
> You probably have a .vimrc on Cygwin, and the same or /etc/vimrc on Linux.

I have a.vimrc, yes.

> The real question:
>
> Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?
>
> On Linux I have one with the following contents (which fixes the
> thread problem):
>
> " Begin /etc/vimrc
>
> set nocompatible
> set backspace=2
> syntax on
> set background=dark
> if (&term == "iterm") || (&term == "putty")
>   set background=dark
> endif
>
> " End /etc/vimrc
>
> The 5th line doesn't work with the version installed on Cygwin, so you
> have to comment it; but it would be nice to also have syntax highlighting.

Indeed.  I just tested this by moving my ~/.vimrc to /etc/vimrc and
then /etc/virc, and in both cases syntax highlighting is not activated
even though a `set nocompatible' preceeds `syntax on', while the same
works fine on Fedora.

Yaakov, any idea?

@ 2015-04-10 19:22         ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2015-04-10 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2015-04-09, René Berber wrote:
> On 4/9/2015 12:34 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Apr  9 09:54, Weston Turner wrote:
> >> I corroborate the original poster's experience with this issue.
> >>
> >> Steps to reproduce the issue: for example open a file with vim
> >> under Cygwin, press: up, up, down, down, left, left, right,
> >> right. Vim under Cygwin places:
> >>
> >> C C D D B B A A
> >>
> >> in the file due to the arrow keys being pressed. Vim under bash
> >> on Linux or the Mac terminal does not treat the arrow keys as
> >> file input, but rather simply uses them to move the cursor about
> >> in the file.
> >
> > WJFFM, as on Linux, in command mode as well as in insert mode.
>
> You probably have a .vimrc on Cygwin, and the same or /etc/vimrc on Linux.
>
> The real question:
>
> Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?

Executing

    $ vim --version

shows

       system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
         user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
     2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
          user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/etc"
     f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/share/vim/vim74"

From within vim,

    :echo $VIM

shows

    /usr/share/vim

To find out more about the value of $VIM, execute

    :help $VIM

So, Cygwin's vim looks for the system vimrc at /usr/share/vim/vimrc,
not /etc/vimrc.  If you create that file, start vim and execute

    :scriptnames

you will see

    1: /usr/share/vim/vimrc

at the top of the list.

Personally, I really like that Cygwin does not include a system
vimrc in its vim package.  If it did, I'd have to undo all those
settings or rm the file.  I have a ~/.vimrc that works on Windows,
Cygwin, Ubuntu and Fedora and ensures that vim behaves the same on
all platforms.  I don't want somebody else making those
configuration decisions for me.

> On Linux I have one with the following contents (which fixes the
> thread problem):
>
> " Begin /etc/vimrc
>
> set nocompatible
> set backspace=2
> syntax on
> set background=dark
> if (&term == "iterm") || (&term == "putty")
>   set background=dark
> endif
>
> " End /etc/vimrc
>
> The 5th line doesn't work with the version installed on Cygwin, so you
> have to comment it; but it would be nice to also have syntax highlighting.

I don't understand what you mean that the 5th line doesn't work and
has to be commented.  I have "syntax on" in my ~/.vimrc file and
syntax highlighting works just fine.  I have "set background=light"
in my colorscheme file and it works fine as well.  Further, I can
execute ":set background=dark" and ":set background=light" from the
vim command line and see the color differences.

It sounds like some part of your installation is broken.

I'm using Cygwin's vim 7.4.663-1.

Regards,
Gary

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-10 19:46           ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2015-04-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/10/2015 2:21 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> On 2015-04-09, René Berber wrote:

>> Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?
>
> Executing
>     $ vim --version
> shows
>        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
>          user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
>      2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
>           user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
>       fall-back for $VIM: "/etc"
>      f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/share/vim/vim74"
> From within vim,
>     :echo $VIM
> shows
>     /usr/share/vim
> So, Cygwin's vim looks for the system vimrc at /usr/share/vim/vimrc,
> not /etc/vimrc.
> Personally, I really like that Cygwin does not include a system
> vimrc in its vim package.

Two points:

1. Users expect things to work out-of-the-box.  As shown by this thread
vim is not.

2. If there is a standard, it should be used.  Moving from Linux to
Cygwin should be transparent, but in the former there is an /etc/vimrc,
in the later there isn't, and even more confusing: if you add one it
doesn't work (for the reason you showed).

> I don't understand what you mean that the 5th line doesn't work and
> has to be commented.

It means that if you leave it, vim will complain when you start it:

"Error detected while processing /etc/virc:
line    5:
E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on"

> I have "syntax on" in my ~/.vimrc file and
> syntax highlighting works just fine.

Corinna already pointed that out.

The point is: why does it work when in ~/.vimrc, and not on /etc/virc
(not a typo, /etc/vimrc is not used at all, another deviation from the
standard?).

Thanks for your reply, but this thread is getting off-topic.
--
René Berber

* Re: 1.7.35: possible backspace key and arrow keys bug
@ 2015-04-10 20:35             ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2015-04-10 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2015-04-10, René Berber wrote:
> On 4/10/2015 2:21 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2015-04-09, René Berber wrote:
>
> >> Why vim on Cygwin doesn't install, or use if you add one, /etc/vimrc?
> >
> > Executing
> >     $ vim --version
> > shows
> >        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
> >          user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
> >      2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
> >           user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
> >       fall-back for $VIM: "/etc"
> >      f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/share/vim/vim74"
> > From within vim,
> >     :echo $VIM
> > shows
> >     /usr/share/vim
> > So, Cygwin's vim looks for the system vimrc at /usr/share/vim/vimrc,
> > not /etc/vimrc.
> > Personally, I really like that Cygwin does not include a system
> > vimrc in its vim package.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1. Users expect things to work out-of-the-box.  As shown by this thread
> vim is not.

It does work out of the box.  It just may not be configured as you'd
like.  But your point is well taken.  If vim is pre-configured on
Red Hat or Ubuntu systems, then for most users it should probably be
pre-configured on Cygwin.  I can work around it.

> 2. If there is a standard, it should be used.  Moving from Linux to
> Cygwin should be transparent, but in the former there is an /etc/vimrc,
> in the later there isn't, and even more confusing: if you add one it
> doesn't work (for the reason you showed).

The Red Hat standard is /etc/vimrc.  The Ubuntu standard is
/usr/share/vim/vimrc.

> > I don't understand what you mean that the 5th line doesn't work and
> > has to be commented.
>
> It means that if you leave it, vim will complain when you start it:
>
> "Error detected while processing /etc/virc:
> line    5:
> E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax on"

In most distributions, vi is vim-small or vim-tiny.  In Fedora and
Cygwin, vi is vim-small.  In Ubuntu, the vim version installed as vi
apparently depends on which vim package(s) you have installed and
may be vim-tiny or vim-huge.

The tiny and small versions do not support syntax highlighting.  See
the output of ":version".  Also see ":help :version" for a list of
which features are supported in which versions.  You should not
expect "syntax on" or any other vim command not found in the
original vi to work in /etc/virc.

> The point is: why does it work when in ~/.vimrc, and not on /etc/virc
> (not a typo, /etc/vimrc is not used at all, another deviation from the
> standard?).

Which configuration files are read depends on whether you execute
"vi" or "vim".

Regards,
Gary