* "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-27 22:38 joeking
From: joeking @ 2016-04-27 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I try using "man", it hangs for a long time.
From PROCMON, I see that MAN.exe is accessing
\\man\PIPE\wkssvc - failed with BAD NETWORK PATH - about 3 seconds.
Then
\\share\man\ - failed with BAD NETWORK PATH - about 75 seconds to fail.

It also tries \\.\.\ several times, and \\.\.\man once.

"man -d" doesn't seem to indicate anything odd.
Is there some special reconfiguring needed?

This is Cygwin64 and Cygwin32 on Windows 7.

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-28 10:49 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2016-04-28 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:23:35AM -0700, joeking wrote:
> When I try using "man", it hangs for a long time.
> From PROCMON, I see that MAN.exe is accessing
> \\man\PIPE\wkssvc - failed with BAD NETWORK PATH - about 3 seconds.
> Then
> \\share\man\ - failed with BAD NETWORK PATH - about 75 seconds to fail.
>
> It also tries \\.\.\ several times, and \\.\.\man once.
>

> "man -d" doesn't seem to indicate anything odd.
> Is there some special reconfiguring needed?
>

> This is Cygwin64 and Cygwin32 on Windows 7.

Works just fine for me.  Can you have a read of the problem reporting
guidelines and, in particular, provide a cygcheck.out file?

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-28 23:20   ` joeking
From: joeking @ 2016-04-28 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for your help.
I've attached cygcheck.out - I removed a couple of private env vars and
changed the username.
There are a lot of things in my path, so I tried shortening it to just a
bare minimum
(C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0),
but the problem still repros.

cygcheck.out <http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/file/n126637/cygcheck.out>

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-29  4:50     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-04-29  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 29/04/2016 01:09, joeking wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
> I've attached cygcheck.out - I removed a couple of private env vars and
> changed the username.
> There are a lot of things in my path, so I tried shortening it to just a
> bare minimum
> (C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0),
> but the problem still repros.
>
> cygcheck.out <http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/file/n126637/cygcheck.out>

Questions:
- have you problem on any man usage ?
- What is the output of 'type man' and 'manpath -d' ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-29 16:48       ` joeking
From: joeking @ 2016-04-29 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So I figured out what causes this - but I don't know why.

"/" ended up in my path - from some imported configuration in .bashrc.
When I don't have "/" in the path, then man works.

So, given that, why would that cause man to reference UNC paths?

maninfo.txt <http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/file/n126661/maninfo.txt>

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-29 19:49         ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2016-04-29 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/29/2016 10:32 AM, joeking wrote:
> So I figured out what causes this - but I don't know why.
>
> "/" ended up in my path - from some imported configuration in .bashrc.
> When I don't have "/" in the path, then man works.
>
> So, given that, why would that cause man to reference UNC paths?

Probably because man has a bug that causes it to use
${name_from_path}/suffix, which works fine if ${name_from_path} is
anything other than /, but which creates a UNC path if it is exactly /.

And the bug is not noticed on other platforms where // and / are identical.

* Re: "man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths
@ 2016-04-29 20:38           ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2016-04-29 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:48:20AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 04/29/2016 10:32 AM, joeking wrote:
> > So I figured out what causes this - but I don't know why.
> >
> > "/" ended up in my path - from some imported configuration in .bashrc.
> > When I don't have "/" in the path, then man works.
> >
> > So, given that, why would that cause man to reference UNC paths?
>
> Probably because man has a bug that causes it to use
> ${name_from_path}/suffix, which works fine if ${name_from_path} is
> anything other than /, but which creates a UNC path if it is exactly /.
>
> And the bug is not noticed on other platforms where // and / are identical.

This is, to be clear, a bug, albeit a bug that manifests pretty much
only on Cygwin: POSIX defines paths starting with // as being down to
the implementation to assign meaning, so they're not portable.  Most
POSIX or POSIX-like operating systems interpret // as identical to /,
hence it not causing a problem most of the time, but Cygwin uses it for
UNC paths.