* chmod failing on user's permissions
@ 2016-11-28 19:54 Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-11-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I log in to my account at work I get access to a network location
accessed as a drive dedicated to me. I log in from 2 locations - my
laptop and desktop. Directory listings and chmod work as expected on
the desktop but when I try to do a chmod on the laptop, it fails for
the user's permissions, leaving them blank, but appears to work for
group and other. When I get a directory listing, it shows for each
file "Unknown+User Unknown+Group" while on the desktop the same files
show my user name that I logged in with and "Domain Users" as the
group. It also shows as unknown if I create a file on the laptop.
After googling around for an answer to the issue, I came up dry with
regards to chmod though I did find a way to change permissions using
setfacl. Does anyone know how to get chmod working the way it should?

Thanks,
Ben

* Re: chmod failing on user's permissions
@ 2016-11-29 13:26 ` L. A. Walsh
From: L. A. Walsh @ 2016-11-29 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ben Altman wrote:
> When I log in to my account at work I get access to a network location
> accessed as a drive dedicated to me. I log in from 2 locations - my
> laptop and desktop.
---
	Were both setup by your company's IT department, or
if not, who?  Are they both running the same version of windows?

> When I get a directory listing, it shows for each
> file "Unknown+User Unknown+Group" while on the desktop the same files
> show my user name that I logged in with and "Domain Users" as the
> group.
---
	Is your laptop a member of the domain?  How do each of them
resolve User&Group ID's?

> It also shows as unknown if I create a file on the laptop.
----
It doesn't sound like your laptop is looking up the ID's
from the same location as your desktop, and perhaps more likely,
it doesn't sound like your laptop is looking up ID's by checking
with the domain.

There's also cygwin user's guide on cygwin.com, that talks about
how ID resolution works.

Might want to download the manual from
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.pdf
(also available online, at the site, in other formats).

-l

* Re: chmod failing on user's permissions
@ 2016-11-30 15:55   ` Ben Altman
From: Ben Altman @ 2016-11-30 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/28/2016 7:00 PM, L. A. Walsh wrote:
> Ben Altman wrote: When I get a directory listing, it shows for each
>> file "Unknown+User Unknown+Group" while on the desktop the same files
>> show my user name that I logged in with and "Domain Users" as the
>> group.
> ---
>     Is your laptop a member of the domain?  How do each of them
> resolve User&Group ID's?
>

>> It also shows as unknown if I create a file on the laptop.
> ----
> It doesn't sound like your laptop is looking up the ID's from the same
> location as your desktop, and perhaps more likely,
> it doesn't sound like your laptop is looking up ID's by checking
> with the domain.

Thanks for you response. I tracked down the issue to there not being any
/etc/group file. I did a "mkgroup > /etc/group" and the issue went away.
I am not sure why the file wasn't there.

@ 2016-11-30 19:10     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-11-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin