* rxvt won't stay running
@ 2017-06-22  9:45 Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2017-06-22  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

I've installed the latest (as of this writing) Cygwin base and a few other
packages.

I have a startup batch file on my XP box that I copied over to the new Win7
box (modifying the HOME variable to match the new box).

I also copied over the home directory from the XP box, so that I can get the
.z* setup files and scripts that I have in my bin directory.

But, when I run it, it just flashes and dies.

Here is the contents:
==========
@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
set HOME=\cygwin\home\Brown

rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i
==========

Any ideas why it is failing?  Something you need me to look at?  It isn't
anything in the home files that I copied over from the XP box, because before
I did that, I tried starting and it flashed and died.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843@email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign

* Re: rxvt won't stay running
@ 2017-06-22 13:48 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-06-22 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/22/2017 5:45 AM, Mike Brown wrote:
> I've installed the latest (as of this writing) Cygwin base and a few other
> packages.

You don't say if it was 32 or 64 bit. But ...

> I have a startup batch file on my XP box that I copied over to the new Win7
> box (modifying the HOME variable to match the new box).
>
> I also copied over the home directory from the XP box, so that I can get the
> .z* setup files and scripts that I have in my bin directory.
>
> But, when I run it, it just flashes and dies.
>
> Here is the contents:
> ==========
> @echo off
>

> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
> set HOME=\cygwin\home\Brown
>
> rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i
> ==========
>
> Any ideas why it is failing?  Something you need me to look at?  It isn't
> anything in the home files that I copied over from the XP box, because before
> I did that, I tried starting and it flashed and died.

Simply, it isn't supported any longer.  Use mintty instead which should
have been installed if you actually used setup.exe to install Cygwin.
If not, start over and use it.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: rxvt won't stay running
@ 2017-06-22 14:15 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2017-06-22 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/22/2017 4:45 AM, Mike Brown wrote:

> I've installed the latest (as of this writing) Cygwin base and a few other
> packages.
[snip]
> Any ideas why it is failing?  Something you need me to look at?  It isn't
> anything in the home files that I copied over from the XP box, because before
> I did that, I tried starting and it flashed and died.

A long time ago rxvt changed from supporting Windows (native) to only
working under X-Windows (a.k.a. Cygwin/X or equivalent).
--
R. Berber

* Re: rxvt won't stay running
@ 2017-06-22 19:58   ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2017-06-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:48:43AM -0400, cyg Simple wrote:
> On 6/22/2017 5:45 AM, Mike Brown wrote:
> > I've installed the latest (as of this writing) Cygwin base and a few other
> > packages.
> >

> You don't say if it was 32 or 64 bit. But ...

Sorry, 64bit.

> > I have a startup batch file on my XP box that I copied over to the new Win7
> > box (modifying the HOME variable to match the new box).
> >
> > I also copied over the home directory from the XP box, so that I can get the
> > .z* setup files and scripts that I have in my bin directory.
> >
> > But, when I run it, it just flashes and dies.
> >
> > Here is the contents:
> > ==========
> > @echo off
> >

> > C:
> > chdir C:\cygwin\bin
> > set HOME=\cygwin\home\Brown
> >
> > rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i
> > ==========
> >
> > Any ideas why it is failing?  Something you need me to look at?  It isn't
> > anything in the home files that I copied over from the XP box, because before
> > I did that, I tried starting and it flashed and died.
> >

> Simply, it isn't supported any longer.  Use mintty instead which should
> have been installed if you actually used setup.exe to install Cygwin.
> If not, start over and use it.

Yep, it put a shortcut on the desktop.  I run zsh, not bash.  Since rxvt
is no longer viable, I went digging into the properties and help for mintty
and added what was needed to start zsh.

All is well now.

MB
--

@ 2017-06-22 20:00   ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2017-06-22 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:12:45AM -0500, Ren?? Berber wrote:
> On 6/22/2017 4:45 AM, Mike Brown wrote:
>
> > I've installed the latest (as of this writing) Cygwin base and a few other
> > packages.
> [snip]
> > Any ideas why it is failing?  Something you need me to look at?  It isn't
> > anything in the home files that I copied over from the XP box, because before
> > I did that, I tried starting and it flashed and died.
>
> A long time ago rxvt changed from supporting Windows (native) to only
> working under X-Windows (a.k.a. Cygwin/X or equivalent).

Ah, so in a galaxy far, far, away, it just might work. :-)

Thanks for the reason it no longer works.

MB
--

@ 2017-06-23 14:31     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-06-23 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

See https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-03/msg00100.html

> Ah, so in a galaxy far, far, away, it just might work. :-)
>
> Thanks for the reason it no longer works.

To be clear: rxvt still works as an X terminal (although if you have
need of such a thing, I'd strongly suggest you stop using rxvt and
instead use something which has had release this decade, e.g. urxvt)

If you want a windows terminal, use mintty.

* Re: rxvt won't stay running
@ 2017-06-23 18:43       ` Mike Brown
From: Mike Brown @ 2017-06-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin mail list

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 03:31:05PM +0100, Jon Turney wrote:
> See https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-03/msg00100.html
Thanks.

> To be clear: rxvt still works as an X terminal (although if you have need
> of such a thing, I'd strongly suggest you stop using rxvt and instead use
> something which has had release this decade, e.g. urxvt)

Sorry, I meant the way I used to use it.

> If you want a windows terminal, use mintty.

Thanks.  As mentioned in a previous post, I got the shortcut that is placed
on the desktop working to start up with Zshell.  So, all is well in the
universe.

MB