* cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-18 17:42 Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-18 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: larytet

Hi,

I am trying to do:

setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v

The installation fails with the last line "Changing gid to
Administrators" and a small dialog box "setup-x86_64.exe" has stopped
working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."

I tried
setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v -B
and
setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v -B -R C:\Windows\Temp

The same result - the setup fails
The interactive GUI installation works fine.
The quite mode fails to install/update Cygwin on the machin where it
is already installed.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-18 18:07 ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: larytet

I tried again on the clean Windows VM

setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s
http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com

After that I tried

setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s
http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com -p wget,screen

Both worked. Looks like my bad

@ 2017-12-18 18:08   ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: larytet

The following command on a clean Windows 10 virtual machine
setup-x86_64.exe -p wget,screen -q -R C:\cygwin -s
http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com
completes fine, sets the icon on the desktop.
When I open the cygwin terminal and try commands wget or screen I am
getting "command not found"
Indeed folder C:\cygwin does not contain wget and screen utilities.
Apparently I am still missing something about the usage of quiet mode

@ 2017-12-18 19:29     ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: larytet

Ok,
I have figured it out

@ 2017-12-19  0:27   ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-19  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Reproduced again with Autounattend.xml
My goal is to prepare a Windows machine with Cygwin installed. I am
trying to script the process.

I have the following section the Autounattend.xml file

                <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                    <CommandLine>cmd.exe /c
C:\Windows\Temp\setup-x86.exe -q -R C:\cygwin -l C:\Windows\Temp
--packages "wget,zip,screen" -s
http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com</CommandLine>
                    <Description>Install Cygwin</Description>
                    <Order>99</Order>
                    <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
                </SynchronousCommand>

The whole file is
https://github.com/larytet/auto-win/blob/master/autounattend/packer-floppy-win10/Autounattend.xml

The installation fails with the same "setu-x86.exe has stopped
working". I do not see output, but I bet that this is the same
"Changing gid to
Administrators" problem.
I suspect that this is something related to running as an
Administrator or System.

I will greatly appreciate any tip.

@ 2017-12-19  9:14     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-19  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-18 11:50, Arkady wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Arkady wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Arkady wrote:
>>> I am trying to do:
>>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v
>>> The installation fails with the last line "Changing gid to
>>> Administrators" and a small dialog box "setup-x86_64.exe" has stopped
>>> working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."
>>> I tried
>>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v -B
>>> and
>>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v -B -R C:\Windows\Temp
>>> The same result - the setup fails
>>> The interactive GUI installation works fine.
>>> The quite mode fails to install/update Cygwin on the machin where it
>>> is already installed.
>>> What am I missing?> Reproduced again with Autounattend.xml
>> I tried again on the clean Windows VM
>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s
>> http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com
>> After that I tried
>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s
>> http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com -p wget,screen
>> Both worked. Looks like my bad
> My goal is to prepare a Windows machine with Cygwin installed. I am
> trying to script the process.
> I have the following section the Autounattend.xml file
>                 <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
>                     <CommandLine>cmd.exe /c
> C:\Windows\Temp\setup-x86.exe -q -R C:\cygwin -l C:\Windows\Temp
> --packages "wget,zip,screen" -s
> http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com</CommandLine>
>                     <Description>Install Cygwin</Description>
>                     <Order>99</Order>
>                     <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
>                 </SynchronousCommand>
> The whole file is
> https://github.com/larytet/auto-win/blob/master/autounattend/packer-floppy-win10/Autounattend.xml
> The installation fails with the same "setu-x86.exe has stopped
> working". I do not see output, but I bet that this is the same
> "Changing gid to
> Administrators" problem.
> I suspect that this is something related to running as an
> Administrator or System.
> I will greatly appreciate any tip.

Suggest the first step in your process should be to download
	https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe
as you will get warnings if setup .exe and .ini versions mismatch (setup just
changed again).

Use -B to install for current user only, or run under admin account and use -W
to wait for elevated child,
You could add -v to get more info in ROOT/var/log/setup.log (appended summaries)
and .../setup.log.full (last run details).

You might want to add -g to be able to rerun and keep versions in old installs
upgraded in sync with new installs, as Cygwin does rolling releases and supports
only current releases; you might also need this for initial installs to get base
packages: it's been a long time since I tried any initial installs.

You should not need to run cmd unless you want to run a bat[ch] or c[om]m[an]d
script.

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-19  9:51     ` Arkady
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-19  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Another update: the quite mode sometimes succeeds. I estimate that the
success rate is 30%. It rarely succeeds very first time.

The problem is definitely not new. See, for example,
https://github.com/boxcutter/windows/blob/master/floppy/cygwin.bat#L50
The batch start with rather encouraging "Force CYGWIN_ARCH to 32-bit -
64-bit seems to crash a lot"
Indeed 32 bits installer sometimes works.

@ 2017-12-19 12:46       ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-19 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is the full log
C:\Users\user\Downloads>C:\Users\user\Downloads\setup-x86.exe -q -R
C:\cygwin -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com -P "wget,screen,cat" -a
x86 -v

C:\Users\user\Downloads>note: Hand installation over to elevated child process.
Starting cygwin install, version 2.883
User has backup/restore rights
Current Directory: C:\Users\user\Downloads
Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may
not be installed, or we don't have access.
root: C:\cygwin system
Selected local directory: C:\Users\user\Downloads
net: IE5
Loaded cached mirror list
Request for URL http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst satisfied from cache
Fetched URL: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst
site: http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/
Request for URL http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86/setup.xz.sig
satisfied from cache
Fetched URL: http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86/setup.xz.sig
Request for URL http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86/setup.xz
satisfied from cache
Fetched URL: http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com/x86/setup.xz
compress_xz::bid_xz: success: 48
compress_xz::bid_xz: success: 48
INSTALLED.DB version 3
package gdb comparing versions 7.11.1-2 and 7.12.1-1, result was -1
package gdb comparing versions 7.12.1-2 and 7.12.1-1, result was 1
package gdb-debuginfo comparing versions 7.11.1-2 and 7.12.1-1, result was -1
package gdb-debuginfo comparing versions 7.12.1-2 and 7.12.1-1, result was 1
package xorg-server comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1, result was 1
package xorg-server-common comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1,
result was 1
package xorg-server-debuginfo comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and
1.19.3-1, result was 1
package xorg-server-devel comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1, result was 1
package xorg-server-dmx comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1, result was 1
package xorg-server-extra comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1, result was 1
package xwinclip comparing versions 1.19.3-2 and 1.19.3-1, result was 1
.ini setup_version is 2.883, our setup_version is 2.883
Added manual package screen
Added manual package wget
Changing gid back to original
Visited: 87 nodes out of 10233 while creating dependency order.
Dependency order of packages: base-cygwin cygwin dash _autorebase
libiconv2 libintl8 alternatives libattr1 libgcc1 libgmp10 tzdata
libstdc++6 terminfo libncursesw10 libreadline7 tzcode coreutils bash
findutils sed base-files libbz2_1 bzip2 libffi6 libp11-kit0 libtasn1_6
p11-kit p11-kit-trust ca-certificates libpopt-common libpopt0 cygutils
libsigsegv2 diffutils editrights zlib0 file libmpfr4 gawk libargp
getent libpcre1 grep groff gzip hostname info ipc-utils less libuuid1
libblkid1 libcrypt0 libdb5.3 libgdbm4 libnettle4 libhogweed2
libgnutls28 libnettle6 libhogweed4 libunistring2 libidn2_0 libgnutls30
libiconv liblzma5 libopenssl100 libpipeline1 publicsuffix-list-dafsa
libpsl5 libsmartcols1 libssp0 login util-linux man-db mintty ncurses
openssl perl_autorebase perl_base perl rebase run screen xz tar
vim-minimal wget which
running: C:\cygwin\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
Updating rebase information for installed dynamic objects in
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst.
Updating rebase information for installed executables in
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_exe.
removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
Updating rebase information for user-defined executables
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe.
Rebasing with list /var/cache/rebase/rebase_all, built from
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.

running: C:\cygwin\bin\dash.exe "/etc/postinstall/0p_update-info-dir.dash"
running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
"/etc/postinstall/zp_man-db.sh"

@ 2017-12-19 14:22         ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-19 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For the sake of other desperate developers searching for a solution
after 14 hours of work
This line works (most of the time?):
C:\Users\user\Downloads\setup-x86.exe -q -R C:\cygwin -s
http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin -P "wget,screen,cat" -a
x86 -v -B -d -n -N

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Arkady <larytet@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> trying to script the process.
>>>
>>> I have the following section the Autounattend.xml file
>>>
>>>                 <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
>>>                     <CommandLine>cmd.exe /c
>>> C:\Windows\Temp\setup-x86.exe -q -R C:\cygwin -l C:\Windows\Temp
>>> --packages "wget,zip,screen" -s
>>> http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com</CommandLine>
>>>                     <Description>Install Cygwin</Description>
>>>                     <Order>99</Order>
>>>                     <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
>>>                 </SynchronousCommand>
>>>

>>> The whole file is
>>> https://github.com/larytet/auto-win/blob/master/autounattend/packer-floppy-win10/Autounattend.xml
>>>
>>> The installation fails with the same "setu-x86.exe has stopped
>>> working". I do not see output, but I bet that this is the same
>>> "Changing gid to
>>> Administrators" problem.
>>> I suspect that this is something related to running as an

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quiet-mode
@ 2017-12-19 18:38       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-12-19 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-12-19 01:37, Arkady wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:50 PM, Arkady wrote:
>>> I tried again on the clean Windows VM
>>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com
>>> After that I tried
>>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -B -R C:\Users\user\Downloads -s http://cygwin/mirror/constant.com -p wget,screen
>>> Both worked. Looks like my bad
>> Reproduced again with Autounattend.xml
>> My goal is to prepare a Windows machine with Cygwin installed. I am
>> trying to script the process.
>> I have the following section the Autounattend.xml file
>>                 <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
>>                     <CommandLine>cmd.exe /c C:\Windows\Temp\setup-x86.exe -q -R C:\cygwin -l C:\Windows\Temp --packages "wget,zip,screen" -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com</CommandLine>
>>                     <Description>Install Cygwin</Description>
>>                     <Order>99</Order>
>>                     <RequiresUserInput>true</RequiresUserInput>
>>                 </SynchronousCommand>
>> The whole file is
>> https://github.com/larytet/auto-win/blob/master/autounattend/packer-floppy-win10/Autounattend.xml
>> The installation fails with the same
>> "setup-x86.exe has stopped working".
>> I do not see output, but I bet that this is the same
>> "Changing gid to Administrators" problem.>> I suspect that this is something related to running as an
>> Administrator or System.
>> I will greatly appreciate any tip.
> Another update: the quite mode sometimes succeeds. I estimate that the
> success rate is 30%. It rarely succeeds very first time.
> The problem is definitely not new. See, for example,
> https://github.com/boxcutter/windows/blob/master/floppy/cygwin.bat#L50
> The batch start with rather encouraging
> "Force CYGWIN_ARCH to 32-bit - 64-bit seems to crash a lot"

If you complete the quote with the later comment suffix
	"... on Windows 2008 and 2012"
that may have been true on server installs five or ten years ago, almost half
Cygwin's history, but Cygwin 64 bit has come a long way in that time, as has
Windows 64 itself, Cygwin Windows server support, and the Cygwin 64 bit packages
supported.
Many of us with 64 bit machines and OSes have been running Cygwin 64 bit since
the Cygwin packages we needed became available on Cygwin 64 bit.
Nowadays, you should install the Cygwin arch matching your OS, and Cygwin 64 bit
is recommended if you need to install a lot of packages with DLLs, e.g. X Window
System, especially if you want to run full Gnome or KDE desktops, with many apps
and many dependencies on library packages.

> Indeed 32 bits installer sometimes works.

Cygwin 32 bit and setup-x86 will not work on Windows 64 bit server (2008R2 and
newer) that no longer have 32 bit WoW subsystem support.
You may be unable to set up to run a lot of apps with many dependencies on
libraries in the available address space.

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-20 10:40 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-12-20 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Arkady writes:
> setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v
>
> The installation fails with the last line "Changing gid to
> Administrators" and a small dialog box "setup-x86_64.exe" has stopped
> working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."

That is usually caused by BLODA that recognizes an application that
tries to elevate itself while run from some script.  The solution may be
as simple as to remove the ADS annotation that says "this executable was
downloaded from the dangerous internet" or you may have to explicitly
except setup.exe someplace.  Other potential solutions are to start the
CMD or script with administrative privileges so setup doesn't need to
elevate itslef or use a program like runas that can start setup directly
with elevated privileges.  Which of these is most appropriate to your
environment is something you'll have to find out yourself.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-20 12:25       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-12-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Arkady writes:
> Another update: the quite mode sometimes succeeds. I estimate that the
> success rate is 30%. It rarely succeeds very first time.
>
> The problem is definitely not new. See, for example,
> https://github.com/boxcutter/windows/blob/master/floppy/cygwin.bat#L50
> The batch start with rather encouraging "Force CYGWIN_ARCH to 32-bit -
> 64-bit seems to crash a lot"

This is long outdated nonsense just like many of the options they use in
the CYGWIN environment variable (that are also missing a space, so they
wouldn't have worked on an old enough Cygwin either.

BTW, you shouldn't download setup-x86_64 and then store it as setup-x86
in CYGWIN.PS1.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-20 12:39   ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-20 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Arkady writes:
>> setup-x86_64.exe -q -p wget -v
>>
>> The installation fails with the last line "Changing gid to
>> Administrators" and a small dialog box "setup-x86_64.exe" has stopped
>> working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..."
>
> That is usually caused by BLODA that recognizes an application that
> tries to elevate itself while run from some script.  The solution may be
> as simple as to remove the ADS annotation that says "this executable was
> downloaded from the dangerous internet" or you may have to explicitly

Thank you, Achim,

I am running in the Administrator console - there is "Administrator:
Command Prompt" at the top
of the windows. I am pulling the file from Internet using a power shell script.
According to dir /R there is only one data stream for the file

@ 2017-12-20 12:43     ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have little doubt that here is a bug in the Cygwin installer. I
reproduce the problem
consistently. I use the following command 10 times
setup-x86.exe -q -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com
The setup fails one time of three in my Win10 64 bits setup.

@ 2017-12-20 12:59       ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Another clue - flags -d -n -N probably solve the problem or make the
problem very rare

@ 2017-12-20 14:08         ` Arkady
From: Arkady @ 2017-12-20 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I can upload VirtualBox VM which demonstrates the problem - this is
14GB image for VirtualBox 5.1.30

@ 2017-12-20 16:14           ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-12-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20/12/2017 12:43, Arkady wrote:
> I can upload VirtualBox VM which demonstrates the problem - this is
> 14GB image for VirtualBox 5.1.30

Please don't.

In any case, you might wish to consult the license you have for Windows
to see if you are permitted to do this...

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Arkady <larytet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another clue - flags -d -n -N probably solve the problem or make the
>> problem very rare
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Arkady <larytet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have little doubt that here is a bug in the Cygwin installer. I
>>> reproduce the problem
>>> consistently. I use the following command 10 times
>>> setup-x86.exe -q -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com
>>> The setup fails one time of three in my Win10 64 bits setup.

Wait what? are you using setup-x86.exe? or setup-x86_64.exe?

I have run this command many times, but I can't reproduce this problem.

Despite more than 10 emails from you on this subject, you still haven't
mentioned what version of setup you are using.

You might like to try installing the cygwin upx and gdb packages, and
then (assuming you are using setup 2.883):

upx -d setup-x86-64.exe
wget https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.883.x86_64.dbg
mv setup-2.883.x86_64.dbg setup.dbg

and then, in an elevated shell:

gdb --args setup-x86-64.exe -q -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com

at the '(gdb)' prompt

(gdb) r

when your error occurs:

(gdb) bt

* Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode
@ 2017-12-20 16:38       ` n8tm via cygwin
From: n8tm via cygwin @ 2017-12-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arkady, cygwin

Cygwin installer annoys virus checkers which never used to care.  White list setup.exe before casting blame

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Arkady <larytet@gmail.com> Date: 12/20/17  7:37 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: cygwin@cygwin.com Subject: Re: cygwin installation fails in Windows 10 when running with --quite-mode