* cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-15 14:58 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2018-02-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an executable (created in Cygwin) located on a mobile drive D:

$ ls -al /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ferg dell 1426958 Jan 28 17:44 /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe*
$ cygcheck /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe
d:\src\sc.exe
D:\consoleX\bin\cygwin1.dll
 C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
<snip> # but it all works

Now omit the need for /cygdrive/ by writing /etc/fstab as
none / cygdrive binary 0 0
and re-start Cygwin.

$ ls -al /d/src/sc.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ferg dell 1426958 Jan 28 17:44 /d/src/sc.exe*
$ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'

Why can't cygcheck find the file?
(Particularly, when ls can. And so can, say, md5sum.)

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-15 19:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-02-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Daly, cygwin

Greetings, Fergus Daly!

> $ ls -al /d/src/sc.exe
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 ferg dell 1426958 Jan 28 17:44 /d/src/sc.exe*
> $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
> cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'

> Why can't cygcheck find the file?
> (Particularly, when ls can. And so can, say, md5sum.)

Nice once. Can confirm. It works with native paths though.

$ uname -a; cygcheck /c/usr/sbin/php/php.exe; cygcheck "$( cygpath -wla /c/usr/sbin/php/php.exe )"
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 daemon2 2.10.0(0.325/5/3) 2018-02-02 15:16 x86_64 Cygwin
cygcheck: could not find '/c/usr/sbin/php/php.exe'

C:\usr\sbin\php\php.exe
  C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
        C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-16 16:43 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-02-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 15 14:58, Fergus Daly wrote:
> I have an executable (created in Cygwin) located on a mobile drive D:
>
> $ ls -al /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 ferg dell 1426958 Jan 28 17:44 /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe*
> $ cygcheck /cygdrive/d/src/sc.exe
> d:\src\sc.exe
> D:\consoleX\bin\cygwin1.dll
>  C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
> <snip> # but it all works
>
> Now omit the need for /cygdrive/ by writing /etc/fstab as
> none / cygdrive binary 0 0
> and re-start Cygwin.
>
> $ ls -al /d/src/sc.exe
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 ferg dell 1426958 Jan 28 17:44 /d/src/sc.exe*
> $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
> cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'
>
> Why can't cygcheck find the file?
> (Particularly, when ls can. And so can, say, md5sum.)

Cygcheck is a native Windows executable and thus does not use Cygwin's
path handling (in contrast to md5sum, for instance).  Rather it uses a
home grown version and this in turn has a bug when checking the cygdrive
prefix against the incoming path.  Everything goes, just not '/' alone.

I pushed a fix and uploaded new developer snapshots to
https://cygwin.de/snapshots/

Please give them a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-21 20:50     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-02-21 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, cygwin

Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

> On Feb 21 11:46, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Fergus Daly!

>> > I tried your link above but got "HTTP 404 Not found".
>> > Just in case this was your intention I tried the latest cygwin1.dll
>> > snapshot from
>> > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>> > being 20180216 but still got
>>
>> > I just tried the 20180220 snapshot; but still get
>>
>> For the third time, cygcheck is no Cygwin application, and unaware of Cygwin
>> paths.
>> Please give it native Windows paths.

> Incorrect.  Yes, cygcheck is a native Windows app, NO, you don't
> have to use Windows paths.

Sorry, my mistake. Happens, when threads are broken.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-02-21  9:53     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-02-21  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 21 09:17, Fergus Daly wrote:
> > For the third time, cygcheck is no Cygwin application, and unaware of Cygwin
> > paths.
> > Please give it native Windows paths.
>

> Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
> [ You are usually so patient. :o( ]
> It seemed to me that a reasonable interpretation of the phrase
> was that something might have changed.
> Clearly an over-interpretation.

No, you just didn't use the new cygcheck, only a new Cygwin DLL.
See my reply https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-02/msg00240.html

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-21  9:17   ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2018-02-21  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For the third time, cygcheck is no Cygwin application, and unaware of Cygwin
> paths.
> Please give it native Windows paths.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
[ You are usually so patient. :o( ]
It seemed to me that a reasonable interpretation of the phrase
>>> I pushed a fix and uploaded new developer snapshots to
>>> https://cygwin.de/snapshots/
>>> Please give them a try.
was that something might have changed.
Clearly an over-interpretation.
Fergus

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-21  9:11   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-02-21  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-02-21  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb 21 07:46, Fergus Daly wrote:
> >> Cygcheck is a native Windows executable .. ..

> >> I pushed a fix and uploaded new developer snapshots to
> >> https://cygwin.de/snapshots/
> >> Please give them a try.
>
> I tried your link above but got "HTTP 404 Not found".

Duh, I did it again, didn't I?  I'm constantly mixing up my
personal de domain with cygwin.com.  Sorry about that!

> Just in case this was your intention I tried the latest cygwin1.dll
> snapshot from
> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> being 20180216 but still got
> > $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
> > cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'
>
> I just tried the 20180220 snapshot; but still get
> > $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
> > cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'

Apparently you only updated the Cygwin DLL, not the entire package
including the utilities packed with the DLL.  However, see the important
parts of my reply you snipped away:

  Cygcheck is a native Windows executable and thus does not use Cygwin's
  ^^^^^^^^                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  path handling (in contrast to md5sum, for instance).  Rather it uses a
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                                ^^^^^^^^^
  home grown version and this in turn has a bug when checking the cygdrive
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  prefix against the incoming path.  Everything goes, just not '/' alone.

So the patch I applied affected cygcheck, not the Cygwin DLL.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: cygcheck failing to find file
@ 2018-02-21  8:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-02-21  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Daly, cygwin

Greetings, Fergus Daly!

>>> Cygcheck is a native Windows executable .. ..
>>> I pushed a fix and uploaded new developer snapshots to
>>> https://cygwin.de/snapshots/
>>> Please give them a try.

> I tried your link above but got "HTTP 404 Not found".
> Just in case this was your intention I tried the latest cygwin1.dll
> snapshot from
> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> being 20180216 but still got
>> $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
>> cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'

> I just tried the 20180220 snapshot; but still get
>> $ cygcheck /d/src/sc.exe
>> cygcheck: could not find '/d/src/sc.exe'

For the third time, cygcheck is no Cygwin application, and unaware of Cygwin
paths.
Please give it native Windows paths.

--
With best regards,