* cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin
@ 2018-08-10 15:28 cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-10 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Looking at the files delivered by the cygwin upgrade I see
/usr/sbin/cygserver.exe and /usr/bin/cygserver-config.  Shouldn't
cygserver-config reside in /usr/sbin with cygserver.exe?

Also in that vain shouldn't cyglsa belong in /usr/sbin?

--
cyg Simple

* Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin
@ 2018-08-12 13:33 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-12 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ping.

@ 2018-08-13  7:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-08-13  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 10 11:28, cyg Simple wrote:
> Looking at the files delivered by the cygwin upgrade I see
> /usr/sbin/cygserver.exe and /usr/bin/cygserver-config.  Shouldn't
> cygserver-config reside in /usr/sbin with cygserver.exe?
>
> Also in that vain shouldn't cyglsa belong in /usr/sbin?

Nope.  /usr/bin is where the DLLs are, so they can be found
even if PATH isn't set up.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin
@ 2018-08-13 12:50   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Aug 10 11:28, cyg Simple wrote:
>> Looking at the files delivered by the cygwin upgrade I see
>> /usr/sbin/cygserver.exe and /usr/bin/cygserver-config.  Shouldn't
>> cygserver-config reside in /usr/sbin with cygserver.exe?

You didn't answer this with your below answer.  The cygserver-config
requires administrator privilege so it would be better placed with
cygserver.exe in sbin, IMO.

>> Also in that vain shouldn't cyglsa belong in /usr/sbin?
>
> Nope.  /usr/bin is where the DLLs are, so they can be found
> even if PATH isn't set up.

But cyglsa{,64}.dll is a standalone without any other binary.  It is
only accessed by the OS for the LSA support if the registry key exists.
This means the cyglsa-config can be modified to point to the sbin
directory instead of the bin directory.  Again administrator privilege
is required so better placed in sbin, IMO.

--

@ 2018-08-13 14:42     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-08-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 13 08:50, cyg Simple wrote:
> > On Aug 10 11:28, cyg Simple wrote:
> >> Looking at the files delivered by the cygwin upgrade I see
> >> /usr/sbin/cygserver.exe and /usr/bin/cygserver-config.  Shouldn't
> >> cygserver-config reside in /usr/sbin with cygserver.exe?
> >>

> You didn't answer this with your below answer.  The cygserver-config
> requires administrator privilege so it would be better placed with
> cygserver.exe in sbin, IMO.
>
> >> Also in that vain shouldn't cyglsa belong in /usr/sbin?
> >
> > Nope.  /usr/bin is where the DLLs are, so they can be found
> > even if PATH isn't set up.
> >

> But cyglsa{,64}.dll is a standalone without any other binary.  It is
> only accessed by the OS for the LSA support if the registry key exists.
> This means the cyglsa-config can be modified to point to the sbin
> directory instead of the bin directory.  Again administrator privilege
> is required so better placed in sbin, IMO.

cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?

If you want trhis questionable changes desperately, feel free to provide
patches on the cygwin-patches ML.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin
@ 2018-08-14 20:43       ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Aug 13 08:50, cyg Simple wrote:
>>>>

>> You didn't answer this with your below answer.  The cygserver-config
>> requires administrator privilege so it would be better placed with
>> cygserver.exe in sbin, IMO.

>>> Nope.  /usr/bin is where the DLLs are, so they can be found
>>> even if PATH isn't set up.
>>>

>> But cyglsa{,64}.dll is a standalone without any other binary.  It is
>> only accessed by the OS for the LSA support if the registry key exists.
>> This means the cyglsa-config can be modified to point to the sbin
>> directory instead of the bin directory.  Again administrator privilege
>> is required so better placed in sbin, IMO.
>
> cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
> well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
> works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
> have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?

No but then why have cygserver.exe in /usr/sbin?  Either there should be
a separation because of required administrative rights or there
shouldn't be at all.  Having it both ways is just confusing even if the
confusion isn't apparent to you.

> If you want trhis questionable changes desperately, feel free to provide
> patches on the cygwin-patches ML.

When I feel that the answers to my question have been thought out I
would entertain a patch to cygwin-patches.  I realize the cyglsa-config
script requires a change should cyglsa*.dll moves and an update option
would need to be provided for those who have configured it already.

--

@ 2018-08-14 21:31         ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2018-08-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 3:05 PM, cyg Simple wrote:

>> …
>>
>> cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
>> well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
>> works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
>> have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?
>>

> No but then why have cygserver.exe in /usr/sbin?  Either there should be
> a separation because of required administrative rights or there
> shouldn't be at all.  Having it both ways is just confusing even if the
> confusion isn't apparent to you.

And just because it's confusing to you doesn't mean it's confusing to everyone
else. I for one have never been confused.

* Re: cygserver - /usr/sbin vs /usr/bin
@ 2018-08-16  3:32           ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-16  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/14/2018 4:12 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Aug 14, 2018, at 3:05 PM, cyg Simple wrote:
>>
>> On 8/13/2018 10:41 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> …
>>>
>>> cyglsa.dll requires an install script that would have to be change as
>>> well.  In contrast, you'd have to make sure your new solution still
>>> works for existing installations.  What's the gain?  Does it *hurt* to
>>> have the stuff in /usr/bin like everything else?
>>>

>> No but then why have cygserver.exe in /usr/sbin?  Either there should be
>> a separation because of required administrative rights or there
>> shouldn't be at all.  Having it both ways is just confusing even if the
>> confusion isn't apparent to you.
>
> And just because it's confusing to you doesn't mean it's confusing to everyone
> else. I for one have never been confused.

But you are confused, you are saying that a system binary should be in
/usr/bin instead of /usr/sbin and that everyone knows that /usr/bin
contains both so be careful not to stumble upon them.  You are confused
because you must not know the importance of the need for /usr/sbin.  But
if Cygwin doesn't care to mix and match that then put everything in
/usr/bin and get rid of /usr/sbin. That is why I said "Having it both
ways is just confusing even if the confusion isn't apparent to you."
You've just proven the point.

--
cyg Simple