* [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2018-12-20 10:47 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-12-20 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:

* attr-2.4.48-2
* libattr-devel-2.4.48-2
* libattr1-2.4.48-2

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2018-12-20 22:22 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-12-20 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-12-20 03:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * attr-2.4.48-2
> * libattr-devel-2.4.48-2
> * libattr1-2.4.48-2

Does this release support listing Windows Alternate Data Streams, as the Linux
release does with Tuxera NTFS-3G?

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2018-12-21  7:13   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-12-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 20 09:03, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2018-12-20 03:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> >
> > * attr-2.4.48-2
> > * libattr-devel-2.4.48-2
> > * libattr1-2.4.48-2
>
> Does this release support listing Windows Alternate Data Streams, as the Linux
> release does with Tuxera NTFS-3G?

libattr only supports reading and writing EAs, it has no capabilities to
read or write ADS.  Ntfs-3g supports the streams_interface=windows
option which allows to read ADS.  This also adds the ntfs.streams.list
EA to a file with named ADS.  So attr/getfattr can only inspect the
ntfs.streams.list EA because the NTFS-3G driver creates them on the fly
when inspecting the file EAs.

tl;dr: No, sorry.  This could only work if Cygwin fakes the
ntfs.streams.list EA per file just like the NTFS-3G driver.

Patches welcome.  Looks like a nice little project if you want to get
your hands dirty.  The functions to handle EAs are pretty
self-sufficiently implemented in ntea.cc.  A little loop about
NtQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation) should do it.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2019-01-08 11:29     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2019-01-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brian.Inglis

On Dec 20 23:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 20 09:03, Brian Inglis wrote:
> > On 2018-12-20 03:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
> > >
> > > * attr-2.4.48-2
> > > * libattr-devel-2.4.48-2
> > > * libattr1-2.4.48-2
> >
> > Does this release support listing Windows Alternate Data Streams, as the Linux
> > release does with Tuxera NTFS-3G?
>
> libattr only supports reading and writing EAs, it has no capabilities to
> read or write ADS.  Ntfs-3g supports the streams_interface=windows
> option which allows to read ADS.  This also adds the ntfs.streams.list
> EA to a file with named ADS.  So attr/getfattr can only inspect the
> ntfs.streams.list EA because the NTFS-3G driver creates them on the fly
> when inspecting the file EAs.
>
> tl;dr: No, sorry.  This could only work if Cygwin fakes the
> ntfs.streams.list EA per file just like the NTFS-3G driver.
>
> Patches welcome.  Looks like a nice little project if you want to get
> your hands dirty.  The functions to handle EAs are pretty
> self-sufficiently implemented in ntea.cc.  A little loop about
> NtQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation) should do it.

Would that be something you'd like to work on, Brian?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2019-01-08 15:36       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-01-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-01-08 04:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Dec 20 23:22, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Does this release support listing Windows Alternate Data Streams, as the Linux
>>> release does with Tuxera NTFS-3G?
>> libattr only supports reading and writing EAs, it has no capabilities to
>> read or write ADS.  Ntfs-3g supports the streams_interface=windows
>> option which allows to read ADS.  This also adds the ntfs.streams.list
>> EA to a file with named ADS.  So attr/getfattr can only inspect the
>> ntfs.streams.list EA because the NTFS-3G driver creates them on the fly
>> when inspecting the file EAs.
>> tl;dr: No, sorry.  This could only work if Cygwin fakes the
>> ntfs.streams.list EA per file just like the NTFS-3G driver.
>> Patches welcome.  Looks like a nice little project if you want to get
>> your hands dirty.  The functions to handle EAs are pretty
>> self-sufficiently implemented in ntea.cc.  A little loop about
>> NtQueryInformationFile(FileStreamInformation) should do it.
> Would that be something you'd like to work on, Brian?

Not anything I really knew or cared about, except as a potential attack vector
or Windows curiosity.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] attr 2.4.48-2
@ 2019-01-08 16:21         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2019-01-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)