* sshd 2FA?
@ 2019-01-18 10:54 Lester Ingber
From: Lester Ingber @ 2019-01-18 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On a Virtual Private Server under Ubuntu, for the past few years, I have had 2-factor authentication (2FA) set up along the lines described in
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-multi-factor-authentication-for-ssh-on-ubuntu-16-04

Is this possible on Cygwin running the sshd server?

* Re: sshd 2FA?
@ 2019-02-26 21:56 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2019-02-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 5:54 AM Lester Ingber wrote:

> On a Virtual Private Server under Ubuntu, for the past few years, I have had 2-factor authentication (2FA) set up along the lines described in
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-multi-factor-authentication-for-ssh-on-ubuntu-16-04
>
> Is this possible on Cygwin running the sshd server?

In theory, certainly...  in practice, you will likely have to set up
some custom pieces to handle the interactions in PAM to use the Google
authenticator (if that is a specific requirement rather than a general
illustration).  Alternately, you could use a different authenticator
that is either easier make cygwin-friendly (or already is).

I've been considering trying to setup 2fa for my cygwin sshd myself
for years, but it's been a low priority since currently I have to
already be inside the network anyway, and disallow passwords to begin
with in most circumstances.

-- Erik