* Calling a Windows program changes terminal character attributes
@ 2020-02-16  7:45 Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2020-02-16  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be a duplicate of an already-reported problem.  I haven't seen one
reported quite this way up to now, though.

I'd long ago modified DIR_COLORS to color-code more kinds of files in 'ls'
displays.  I've noticed for a while (weeks?) that some of the chars visible in a
terminal window are made bold just by launching certain Windows commands.  I
just now stumbled onto a simple test case.

1) Open a Cygwin Terminal window,
2) cd to a directory with lots of different file types,
3) issue an 'ls' command
4) issue the command "cmd -c version"

You should immediately see that some characters in the visible part of the
screen buffer have been converted to bold versions.  Not all of them, though.

This only affects the currently-visible part of the screen buffer.  If you
scroll up, older buffer contents are seen to be unchanged.

I am attaching my DIR_COLORS.local file which is appended to the system's
DIR_COLORS by these commands in my .bashrc:

eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`
LS_COLORS0=$LS_COLORS
eval `dircolors -b /home/mark/DIR_COLORS.local`
export LS_COLORS="$LS_COLORS0$LS_COLORS"

I'm using a 64-bit Cygwin1.dll built from current git, on Windows
10.0.18363.592.  I've also aliased: ls='ls -AF --color -b -T 0 '.

..mark

[-- Attachment #2: DIR_COLORS.local --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 678 bytes --]

.c 00;36
.c.safe 01;36
.h 00;36
.h.safe 01;36
.cc 00;36
.cc.safe 01;36
.cpp 00;36
.cpp.safe 01;36
.hpp 00;36
.hpp.safe 01;36

.s 00;36
.bl 00;36
.m4a 00;36
.b 00;36
.m 00;36
.m4 00;36
.go 00;36
.go.safe 01;36
.cal 00;36
.cal.safe 01;36
.calc 00;36
.pl 00;36
.py 00;36
.awk 00;36

*akefile 00;31
*akefile.safe 01;31
*akefile.in 00;31
*akefile.in.safe 01;31
*akefile.am 00;31
*akefile.am.safe 01;31
.mak 00;31
.mak.safe 01;31
.mk 00;31
.mk.safe 01;31
.ac 00;31

.htm 00;33
.html 00;33
.css 00;33
.xml 01;33
.pdf 01;33
.tex 01;33
.txt 01;33
.log 01;33

.o 00;32
.lo 00;32
.a 00;32
.la 00;32
.dll 00;32
.dll.safe 01;32
.lib 00;32
.lib.safe 01;32
.dll.a 00;32
.dbg 00;32

.bin 00;34

* Re: Calling a Windows program changes terminal character attributes
@ 2020-02-16  8:09 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-02-16  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 23:44:53 -0800
Mark Geisert wrote:
> This may be a duplicate of an already-reported problem.  I haven't seen one
> reported quite this way up to now, though.
>
> I'd long ago modified DIR_COLORS to color-code more kinds of files in 'ls'
> displays.  I've noticed for a while (weeks?) that some of the chars visible in a
> terminal window are made bold just by launching certain Windows commands.  I
> just now stumbled onto a simple test case.
>
> 1) Open a Cygwin Terminal window,
> 2) cd to a directory with lots of different file types,
> 3) issue an 'ls' command
> 4) issue the command "cmd -c version"
>
> You should immediately see that some characters in the visible part of the
> screen buffer have been converted to bold versions.  Not all of them, though.

Thanks for the report.

This is the same issue as that of already reported in:

I am sorry, but it is difficult to fix right now.

Now, poroposals below is under consideration. If this could be realized,
your problem would be solved.
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2020-q1/msg00151.html

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: Calling a Windows program changes terminal character attributes
@ 2020-02-17  9:54     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-02-17  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:51:27 -0500
Lee wrote:
> On 2/16/20, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 01:31:14 -0800
> > Mark Geisert wrote:
> >> Thanks Takashi for your reply.  I just wanted to add that setting
> >> CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the environment does not fix this issue.
> >> Please ignore this if that's what's expected.
> >
> > CYGWIN=disable_pcon is needed to be set before launching mintty.
> > That is, the setting should be in user environment in system
> > property in control panel rather than in .bashrc.
>
> Does setting CYGWIN=disable_pcon do the same thing as adding this to
> the registry?
> -------------
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
> "VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
> -------------

No. They are very differnt. VirtualTerminalLevel=1 enables ANSI
escape sequence handling in command prompt even without flag
ENABLE_VIRTUAL_TERMINAL_PROCESSING.
CYGWIN=disable_pcon disables pseudo console support in PTY.
PTY is used in mintty, xterm, sshd, etc, but not in command prompt.

--

@ 2020-02-16 16:51   ` Lee
From: Lee @ 2020-02-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/16/20, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 01:31:14 -0800
> Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Thanks Takashi for your reply.  I just wanted to add that setting
>> CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the environment does not fix this issue.
>> Please ignore this if that's what's expected.
>
> CYGWIN=disable_pcon is needed to be set before launching mintty.
> That is, the setting should be in user environment in system
> property in control panel rather than in .bashrc.

Does setting CYGWIN=disable_pcon do the same thing as adding this to
the registry?
-------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
"VirtualTerminalLevel"=dword:00000001
-------------

The registry fix was the answer I got for my "terminal control chars
broken?" question to the list..

Thanks
Lee

* Re: Calling a Windows program changes terminal character attributes
@ 2020-02-16 10:53 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-02-16 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2020-02-16  9:31 Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2020-02-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Takashi for your reply.  I just wanted to add that setting
CYGWIN=disable_pcon in the environment does not fix this issue.
Please ignore this if that's what's expected.
Cheers,

..mark