* pseudo console and auto-wrap
@ 2020-03-05 13:04 Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-03-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

With ConPTY support, the following command results in output that
contains an explicit newline at the auto-wrap position:
cmd /c echo a line which is wider than your terminal ...

For copy/paste, this is surprising and undesired
(https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/971).
Can the line wrapping case be handled specifically, assuming proper
auto-wrap mode on the terminal side, to avoid this?
Thomas

* Re: pseudo console and auto-wrap
@ 2020-03-06 12:55 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-06 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 11:33:33 +0100
Thomas Wolff wrote:
> With ConPTY support, the following command results in output that
> contains an explicit newline at the auto-wrap position:
> cmd /c echo a line which is wider than your terminal ...
>
> For copy/paste, this is surprising and undesired
> (https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/971).
> Can the line wrapping case be handled specifically, assuming proper
> auto-wrap mode on the terminal side, to avoid this?

This is internal behaviour of pseudo console.
So we can not touch it. WSL also behaves the same.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: pseudo console and auto-wrap
@ 2020-03-06 20:41   ` Bill Stewart
       [not found]     ` <aaf835fc-8b8b-f67d-ec42-79b39d0026ef@towo.net>
From: Bill Stewart @ 2020-03-06 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Takashi Yano wrote:

> Thomas Wolff wrote:
> > With ConPTY support, the following command results in output that
> > contains an explicit newline at the auto-wrap position:
> > cmd /c echo a line which is wider than your terminal ...
> >
> > For copy/paste, this is surprising and undesired
> > (https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/971).
> > Can the line wrapping case be handled specifically, assuming proper
> > auto-wrap mode on the terminal side, to avoid this?
>
> This is internal behaviour of pseudo console.
> So we can not touch it. WSL also behaves the same.

Observations when I ssh to a Windows 10 1909 machine running cygwin
3.1.4/OpenSSH 8.2...

I ran ssh-host-config and tested both with disable_pcon set in CYGWIN
environment variable and without. (This sets REG_SZ value
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cygsshd\Parameters\Environment\CYGWIN=disable_pcon)

With disable_pcon set:

echo "$PATH"     -- wraps correctly
cmd /c echo %PATH%     -- wraps correctly
winpty cmd /c echo %PATH%     -- wrapping broken

Without disable_pcon set:

echo "$PATH"     -- wraps correctly
cmd /c echo %PATH%  -- wrapping broken
winpty cmd /c echo %PATH%     -- wrapping broken

I would note that in both cases, winpty output is not correct.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Bill

@ 2020-03-10 20:36       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2020-03-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020-03-06 13:43, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Note that winpty is obsolete under current cygwin, and the second cmd case is
> the only issue.
> As Takashi explained, there is no fix on the cygwin side. It could be fixed on
> the Windows side, within the ConPTY API.

Is conpty not available only on the latest W10 releases and winpty is required
on all earlier releases?

Is there documentation on which release has a suitable conpty level available
and which release/s require/s winpty?

* Re: pseudo console and auto-wrap
@ 2020-04-01 21:55   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2020-04-01 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)