* that thing with the fonts and julia, and that other thing with plotutils
@ 2020-09-04  3:58 briand
From: briand @ 2020-09-04  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Just got a new computer at work, so it got a very fresh install of cygwin.

The problem i was having with the fonts not displaying correctly in Julia is now gone, and that's much more important than it sounds.  A great many of the julia packages, and some that I use frequently, make heavy use of unicode characters so it could be quite difficult to know what was going on.

However the segfault problem with graph is still there.

So, something in the windows set-up seems to be responsible for having broken the unicode/font display, because i was running the same version of cygwin on both machines (and both under W10).

The thing with graph segfaulting is giving the exact same behavior, so that's still a mystery.  and yes i did install both the "test" version of plotutils and the version before and both versions gave the exact same symptoms.

--
Brian

* Re: that thing with the fonts and julia, and that other thing with plotutils
@ 2020-09-04  5:23 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2020-09-04  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04.09.2020 05:58, briand (at) pounceofcats.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Just got a new computer at work, so it got a very fresh install of cygwin.
>
> The problem i was having with the fonts not displaying correctly in Julia is now gone, and that's much more important than it sounds.  A great many of the julia packages, and some that I use frequently, make heavy use of unicode characters so it could be quite difficult to know what was going on.
>
> However the segfault problem with graph is still there.
>
> So, something in the windows set-up seems to be responsible for having broken the unicode/font display, because i was running the same version of cygwin on both machines (and both under W10).
>
> The thing with graph segfaulting is giving the exact same behavior, so that's still a mystery.  and yes i did install both the "test" version of plotutils and the version before and both versions gave the exact same symptoms.

a simple test case, please

It is difficult to correct any problem without it

Marco

* Re: that thing with the fonts and julia, and that other thing with plotutils
@ 2020-09-05  5:24   ` briand
From: briand @ 2020-09-05  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> a simple test case, please
>
> It is difficult to correct any problem without it

There had been another thread pertaining to the graph seg-fault problem and I don't think i have any new information, the strace looked the same as what i was getting before.

however, i will attach a copy of the strace when i get a chance.  perhaps it is showing different behavior and can provide a clue.

the conclusion from the previous thread was BLODA, i believe.

one thing i keep forgetting to do is test on my home machine.  so far every single problem on my work machine has NOT been a problem on my home machine.

--
Brian