* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1
@ 2020-12-02 20:29 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-12-02 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The current upstream release of fetchmail is now available on Cygwin as
the fetchmail-6.4.14-1 package.

The upstream release changelog is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/files/branch_6.4/

This release uses the Python3 interpreter as Python2 is now EOL and has
been compiled with support for NTLM, GSSAPI and Kerberos5
authentication, TLSv1.3 is also available.

Note
====

Upstream no longer tests Kerberos5 and recommends to use GSS-API
instead.  Kerberos5 support will therefore be removed in one of the next
releases on Cygwin.

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Re: Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1
@ 2020-12-04  2:18 ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2020-12-04  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2020/12/02 12:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
> fetchmail-6.4.14-1...
>
> This release uses the Python3 interpreter as Python2 is now EOL...

----
    When I look at the binary on linux (ldd), I see no reference to any
python
of any version.  I haven't seen the 6.4.14 package for my distro yet,
but the 6.4.12 version doesn't require python.

    When I look at the fetchmail website, https://www.fetchmail.info/,
I see that it lists https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/ as a project
page, but with sources on https://gitlab.com/fetchmail/fetchmail/ .

    I see no mention of python being required on its info page, though I see
it mentioned on the sourceforge site.

    Should fetchmail have a dependency on python when it doesn't seem to be
needed?  Maybe put the python requiring stuff in a separate
'python-fetchmail'
package to install that portion?

    Should I be guessing -- is it a python interface for fetchmail?

    I know I would be surprised if I went to install (or upgrade)
fetchmail and it required me to install python.

    Seems like many(most?) other python interfaces for things reside in
'python-xxxxxx' packages -- is that an oversight for the fetchmail
code?

Tnx!
-linda

* Re: Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1
@ 2020-12-04 20:18   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-12-04 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh writes:
>    When I look at the binary on linux (ldd), I see no reference to any
>    python of any version.  I haven't seen the 6.4.14 package for my distro yet,
> but the 6.4.12 version doesn't require python.

Yes, the package does depend on it, and as noted in the announcement it depends specifically on
python36.

>    When I look at the fetchmail website, https://www.fetchmail.info/,
> I see that it lists https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/ as a project
> page, but with sources on https://gitlab.com/fetchmail/fetchmail/ .
>
>    I see no mention of python being required on its info page, though I see
> it mentioned on the sourceforge site.

Oh please, it isn't all that hard to figure out that fetchmailconf is
implemented in Python.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1
@ 2020-12-05  1:21     ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2020-12-05  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: cygwin

On 2020/12/04 12:18, Achim Gratz wrote:
> L A Walsh writes:
>
>>    I see no reference to any python of any version.
>>

> Yes, the package does depend on it, and as noted in the announcement it depends specifically on python36.

----
    So, people who configure fetchmail with the man page and have never used
fetchmailconf should get in the habit of ignoring package requirements?
Not sure
how good that is.

>>    When I look at the fetchmail website, https://www.fetchmail.info/,
>> I see that it lists https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/ as a project
>> page, but with sources on https://gitlab.com/fetchmail/fetchmail/ .
>>
>>    I see no mention of python being required on its info page, though I see
>> it mentioned on the sourceforge site.
>>

> Oh please, it isn't all that hard to figure out that fetchmailconf is
> implemented in Python.

Oh please yourself!  :^)
I've never used fetchmailconf in using fetchmail.  fetchmail doesn't
require python -- a special "fetchmailconf" requires it, which wasn't
part of fetchmail when I started using it -- for that matter it still isn't
part of my linux distro's fetchmail.

I read the manpage and edited .fetchmailrc in my home directory.

I started using fetchmail before fetchmailconf was around, AFAIK.

Maybe putting fetchmailconf in its own package would be appropriate?

* Re: Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1
@ 2020-12-07 17:28       ` Stephen Carrier
From: Stephen Carrier @ 2020-12-07 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh; +Cc: Achim Gratz, cygwin

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 05:21:14PM -0800, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2020/12/04 12:18, Achim Gratz wrote:
> > L A Walsh writes:
> > >    I see no reference to any python of any version.
> >
> > Yes, the package does depend on it, and as noted in the announcement it depends specifically on python36.
> ----
>    So, people who configure fetchmail with the man page and have never used
> fetchmailconf should get in the habit of ignoring package requirements?  Not
> sure
> how good that is.

Today I learned there is a thing called fetchmailconf and I've been using
fetchmail for years.  I agree that it should be unbundled, as python is
big dependency and manual configuration is pretty simple.

For precedent, my Fedora doesn't bundle fetchmailconf with fetchmail.
Maybe more recent Fedora versions than mine do this; I don't know.

In general, I think dependencies larger than the package it supports,
that are supporting only a non-core feature, ought to have that non-core
feature unbundled.

Stephen