* help please
@ 2021-03-07 15:47 COOL BLACKS
From: COOL BLACKS @ 2021-03-07 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 1 [main] john 2960 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
pointer.  Please report this problem to
the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com
Warning: detected hash type "whirlpool", but the string is also recognized
as "whirlpool0"
Use the "--format=whirlpool0" option to force loading these as that type
instead
Warning: detected hash type "whirlpool", but the string is also recognized
as "whirlpool1"
Use the "--format=whirlpool1" option to force loading these as that type
instead

* Re: help please
@ 2021-03-07 15:49 ` cygwinautoreply
From: cygwinautoreply @ 2021-03-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romieblake; +Cc: cygwin

> 1 [main] john 2960 find_fast_cwd: WARNING: Couldn't compute FAST_CWD
>pointer.  Please report this problem to
>the public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com
>Warning: detected hash type "whirlpool", but the string is also recognized
>as "whirlpool0"
>Use the "--format=whirlpool0" option to force loading these as that type
>instead
>Warning: detected hash type "whirlpool", but the string is also recognized
>as "whirlpool1"
>Use the "--format=whirlpool1" option to force loading these as that type
>instead

https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.fixing-find_fast_cwd-warnings

* Re: Help please
@ 2001-08-20  9:23   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-08-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Halsey, cygwin

At 10:24 AM 8/20/2001, Jordan Halsey wrote:
>I have been running the cygwin tools on Nt for the last year or so and
>recently had a major problem and before I re-install the tools I have a few
>major worries.
>
>What seemed to happen is that after a hard crash I got a blinking cursor and
>my system refused to recognize my system drive even though the symbios drive
>utility could see the drive and verify that all sectors were undamaged but
>still unrecognizable as a drive that could be used by my system.  This
>immediately made me think of the cygwin tools and how they set mount points.
>Due to time constraints I took the machine to my VAR, had a new drive put in
>and re-installed NT.  I should also say that the VAR that I use is very pro
>and they could do nothing for the data on my drive or explain what happened
>just that the drive was inaccessible and that they would have to re-format
>the drive. I told them to just leave it alone. The drive is a a 9 gig
>barracuda in two 4.5 gig partitions.  Now that I have a new drive as a c:
>drive this drive has become my f and g drives f is what was previously used
>as my system drive so I reformatted that drive with no problems but left the
>g drive untouched with the hopes that there might be a way to recognize the
>drive again and retrieve any un-backed up info.  Any advice on how to do
>this would be greatly appreciated even if its , no way and I have to
>reformat and loose all info.
>
>My other question is, what could possibly have happened that would cause my
>drive to be in a stable (no bad blocks or sectors etc) place and yet be
>unrecognizable?  Do I run risks such as this in using the cygwin tools on
>NT? ( I love these tools and do not want to give them up) Is there something
>that I could have done to prevent this?

Cygwin mount points nor any other Cygwin facility is related to this
issue.  Whatever the problem is, its related to the drive in question
and not the software on it.

* Help please
@ 2001-08-20  7:24 ` Jordan Halsey
From: Jordan Halsey @ 2001-08-20  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

TIA,

--
Jordan Halsey
maya|shake|prman|eias|formZ|ae

* Re: help, please
@ 2000-07-27  4:13   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-07-27  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bret Comstock Waldow; +Cc: cygwin

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> D:\CYGWIN\BIN\ID.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0
> D:\CYGWIN\BIN\MKDIR.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0
> BASH.EXE: cd: /home/: No such file or directory

I guess you have changed your $PATH variable in your .bashrc or
.profile. $PATH _must_ contain the path to your Windows directory
since the system DLL's aren't found otherwise, eg.

export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS

on a 9X box. For NT/W2K, the Windows as well as the system32 directory
has to be part of $PATH, eg:

export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

* help, please
@ 2000-07-27  3:48 ` Bret Comstock Waldow
From: Bret Comstock Waldow @ 2000-07-27  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

Can anyone suggest what is going wrong to cause this problem?

I have used the setup.exe to download the tarballs to a local directory,
then I open a DOS command window and start setup.exe again, directing it
to install from the directory.

It all seem to work fine, no error messages, and when I try to run
cygwin, I get a window that says this:

D:\CYGWIN\BIN\ID.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0
D:\CYGWIN\BIN\MKDIR.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0
BASH.EXE: cd: /home/: No such file or directory

bwaldow@DEFAULT /usr/bin
$ pwd
/usr/bin

bwaldow@DEFAULT /usr/bin
$ ls
C:\CYGWIN\BIN\LS.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0

bwaldow@DEFAULT /usr/bin
$

One person suggested that I needed to use the 'install from Internet'
option, but I wasn't sure from the way he phrased it whether he was
suggesting that my problem was I hadn't downloaded the tarballs (they
are definitely there on the local hard drive), or that 'install from
Internet' was the only functional way to do it.

Can anyone please suggest what the problem is?  I would love to run
cygwin/Xemacs, etc. while I have to work in Windows.

thanks for any help,
Bret

Windows 95 OSR2.1  4.00.950 B

'setup.exe' doesn't list any version information, but:
SETUP    EXE       121,344  07-26-00  2:25p

from a DOS window:
C:\cygwin\bin>cygcheck -s -v -r
C:\CYGWIN\BIN\CYGCHECK.EXE: *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0

* Re: help please
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-08-19 19:35 ` Dennis Newbold
From: Dennis Newbold @ 1998-08-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Farley; +Cc: gnu-win32

You could try looking at the following sites to see if there's anything you
could use there:

     http://www.tiac.net/users/cgf/
     http://www.halcyon.com/gvr/vim.html
     http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

Hope that helps.

Anthony Farley wrote:

> Hi all,
> I realize this may be a fairly simple question ..but is not so simple
> finding an answer.
>
> I have just installed the latest release rather than using a gui compiler I
> want to use gnu ..but I can't seem to locate the text editor or any
> documentation on how to find it ..can some one help please
>
> Anthony
>
> -

|----------------------------------------|
|  The way to be happy is to be good.    |
|----------------------------------------|

-

* Re: help please
@ 1998-08-16  2:19 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1998-08-16  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Anthony,

>Hi all,
>I realize this may be a fairly simple question ..but is not so simple
>finding an answer.
>
>I have just installed the latest release rather than using a gui compiler I
>want to use gnu ..but I can't seem to locate the text editor or any
>documentation on how to find it ..can some one help please

In fact there is none in the standard cdk.exe or user.exe !
You can get vim, though:

   *vim-5.0*
   -------

   - what is it?
     - Vim (Vi Improved) is an almost compatible version of the UNIX
       editor vi whereby almost every possible command can be performed
       using only ASCII characters. Only the 'Q' command is missing
       (you don't need it). Many new features have been added: multi
       level undo, command line history, filename completion, block
       operations, editing of binary data, etc. Vi is available for
       the AMIGA, MS-DOS, Windows NT, and various versions of UNIX.

   [...]

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Hirmke_Michael
     - as vim-5.0-win32-with-gui-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.0-win32-with-gui-bin.zip
     - or vim-5.0-win32-without-gui-bin.tar.gz
     - or vim-5.0-win32-without-gui-bin.zip

   - contributed by
     - mh@mike.franken.de (Michael Hirmke)

>Anthony

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/
-

* Re: help please
@ 1998-08-15 15:21 ` Ninja
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ninja @ 1998-08-15 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Farley; +Cc: gnu-win32

Anthony Farley wrote:

> I have just installed the latest release rather than using a gui compiler I
> want to use gnu ..but I can't seem to locate the text editor or any
> documentation on how to find it ..can some one help please

If you want to find integrated development environment like
MS VC++, then you might not be able to find one. But if you want
just good editor there're several editors. I'm currently using Ultra Editor
and you can use emacs or vim. I highly recommend vim. In Linux
I'm using this and in Windows also. If you accustomed to this edtior
or emacs then you will think that other editor are simply bad.

-

* Re: help please
@ 1998-08-15 15:21 ` Michael Weiser
From: Michael Weiser @ 1998-08-15 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Anthony,

You wrote:

>I have just installed the latest release rather than using a gui compiler I
>want to use gnu ..but I can't seem to locate the text editor or any
>documentation on how to find it ..can some one help please
Just go to ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/
and search the ports section for vim or emacs. These are
cygwin-compiled binaries which will integrate smoothly into cgwin32
environment. But of course you can use any other 'normal' text editor,
too.

bye

Michael
-