* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openblas-0.3.14-1
@ 2021-03-31 19:03 Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce
From: Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce @ 2021-03-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

New releases 0.3.14-1 of

openblas         (source)
libopenblas      (dinamic library)

are available in the Cygwin distribution :

CHANGES
Last upstream release bugfix and performance improvment
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/releases

  OpenBLAS will now provide enough buffer space for at
  least 50 threads by default.

DESCRIPTION
OpenBLAS is an optimized BLAS library based on
GotoBLAS2 1.13 BSD version and further extended.
OpenBLAS is licensed under the 3-clause BSD license.

HOMEPAGE
http://www.openblas.net/

CYGWIN NOTES
1) As BLAS it is around 5-10 times faster than Netlib reference,
    included in the liblapack0 package.

2) No devel package is provided as liblapack-devel already provide
    the needed headers and import.
    Openblas is fully compatible with Netlib BLAS.

3) libopenblas consist of a single file
      /usr/bin/cygblas-0.dll
    that will precede in PATH the liblapack0
      /usr/lib/lapack/cygblas-0.dll
    and used instead. Removing libopenblas will restore the
    usage of Netlib BLAS

4) CPU architecture covered up to now

    64 bit
     ATOM BARCELONA BOBCAT BULLDOZER CORE2 DUNNINGTON EXCAVATOR
     HASWELL NANO NEHALEM OPTERON OPTERON_SSE3 PENRYN PILEDRIVER
     PRESCOTT SANDYBRIDGE STEAMROLLER ZEN

    32 bit
     ATHLON ATOM BANIAS BARCELONA BOBCAT COPPERMINE CORE2
     DUNNINGTON KATMAI NANO NEHALEM NORTHWOOD OPTERON
     OPTERON_SSE3 PENRYN PRESCOTT

Regards
Marco Atzeri

If you have questions or comments, please send them to the
cygwin mailing list at: cygwin (at) cygwin (dot) com .

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openblas-0.3.14-1
@ 2021-05-19  9:12 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2021-05-19  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:03:03 +0200
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> New releases 0.3.14-1 of
>
> openblas         (source)
> libopenblas      (dinamic library)
>
> are available in the Cygwin distribution :
>
> CHANGES
> Last upstream release bugfix and performance improvment
> https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/releases
>
>   OpenBLAS will now provide enough buffer space for at
>   least 50 threads by default.
>
> DESCRIPTION
> OpenBLAS is an optimized BLAS library based on
> GotoBLAS2 1.13 BSD version and further extended.
> OpenBLAS is licensed under the 3-clause BSD license.
>
> HOMEPAGE
> http://www.openblas.net/
>
> CYGWIN NOTES
> 1) As BLAS it is around 5-10 times faster than Netlib reference,
>     included in the liblapack0 package.
>
> 2) No devel package is provided as liblapack-devel already provide
>     the needed headers and import.
>     Openblas is fully compatible with Netlib BLAS.
>
> 3) libopenblas consist of a single file
>       /usr/bin/cygblas-0.dll
>     that will precede in PATH the liblapack0
>       /usr/lib/lapack/cygblas-0.dll
>     and used instead. Removing libopenblas will restore the
>     usage of Netlib BLAS
>
> 4) CPU architecture covered up to now
>
>     64 bit
>      ATOM BARCELONA BOBCAT BULLDOZER CORE2 DUNNINGTON EXCAVATOR
>      HASWELL NANO NEHALEM OPTERON OPTERON_SSE3 PENRYN PILEDRIVER
>      PRESCOTT SANDYBRIDGE STEAMROLLER ZEN
>
>     32 bit
>      ATHLON ATOM BANIAS BARCELONA BOBCAT COPPERMINE CORE2
>      DUNNINGTON KATMAI NANO NEHALEM NORTHWOOD OPTERON
>      OPTERON_SSE3 PENRYN PRESCOTT

After upgrading libopenblas from 0.3.12-2 to 0.3.14-1,
octave 5.2.0 crashes on plot command in 64 bit environment.
In 32 bit cygwin (WoW64), this does not happen. Reverting
libopenblas to 0.3.12-1 resolve the issue.

octave:1> plot([])
fatal: caught signal Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
Illegal instruction(core dumped)

My environment:
OS: Windows 10 20H2 (64 bit)
CPU: Inte Core i7 870 (Lynnfield)

[yano@Express5800-S70 ~]$ cygcheck -c cygwin octave libopenblas
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               3.2.0-1        OK
libopenblas          0.3.14-1       OK
octave               5.2.0-1        OK

By starting octave-cli in gdb, it stops at vmovaps instruction
in gemm_(). IIUC, vmovaps is an AVX instruction which is not
supported by Core i7 870.

In another PC with Core i7-4790 which supports AVX, the issue
does not occur.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openblas-0.3.14-1
@ 2021-05-19 10:56   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-05-19 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19.05.2021 11:12, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:03:03 +0200
> Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> New releases 0.3.14-1 of
>>

> After upgrading libopenblas from 0.3.12-2 to 0.3.14-1,
> octave 5.2.0 crashes on plot command in 64 bit environment.
> In 32 bit cygwin (WoW64), this does not happen. Reverting
> libopenblas to 0.3.12-1 resolve the issue.
>
> octave:1> plot([])
> fatal: caught signal Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
> Illegal instruction(core dumped)
>
> My environment:
> OS: Windows 10 20H2 (64 bit)
> CPU: Inte Core i7 870 (Lynnfield)
>
> [yano@Express5800-S70 ~]$ cygcheck -c cygwin octave libopenblas
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> cygwin               3.2.0-1        OK
> libopenblas          0.3.14-1       OK
> octave               5.2.0-1        OK
>
> By starting octave-cli in gdb, it stops at vmovaps instruction
> in gemm_(). IIUC, vmovaps is an AVX instruction which is not
> supported by Core i7 870.
>
> In another PC with Core i7-4790 which supports AVX, the issue
> does not occur.

Hi Takashi,

maybe is time to build the 0.3.15 ....
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/releases

x86_64:

     added support for Intel Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET)
     reverted the DOMATCOPY_RT code to the generic C version
     fixed a bug in the AVX512 SGEMM kernel introduced in 0.3.14
     fixed misapplication of -msse flag to non-SSE cpus in DYNAMIC_ARCH
     added support for compilation of the benchmarks on older OSX versions
     fixed propagation of the NO_AVX512 option in CMAKE builds
     fixed compilation of the AVX512 SGEMM kernel with clang-cl on Windows
     fixed compilation of the CTESTs with INTERFACE64=1 (random faults
on OSX)
     corrected the Haswell DROT kernel to require AVX2/FMA3 rather than
AVX512

give me some time, openblas is a bit time consuming

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openblas-0.3.14-1
@ 2021-05-19 14:25     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2021-05-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, Marco

On Wed, 19 May 2021 12:56:33 +0200
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 19.05.2021 11:12, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:03:03 +0200
> > Marco Atzeri wrote:
> >> New releases 0.3.14-1 of
> >>

> > After upgrading libopenblas from 0.3.12-2 to 0.3.14-1,
> > octave 5.2.0 crashes on plot command in 64 bit environment.
> > In 32 bit cygwin (WoW64), this does not happen. Reverting
> > libopenblas to 0.3.12-1 resolve the issue.
> >
> > octave:1> plot([])
> > fatal: caught signal Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
> > Illegal instruction(core dumped)
> >
> > My environment:
> > OS: Windows 10 20H2 (64 bit)
> > CPU: Inte Core i7 870 (Lynnfield)
> >
> > [yano@Express5800-S70 ~]$ cygcheck -c cygwin octave libopenblas
> > Cygwin Package Information
> > Package              Version        Status
> > cygwin               3.2.0-1        OK
> > libopenblas          0.3.14-1       OK
> > octave               5.2.0-1        OK
> >
> > By starting octave-cli in gdb, it stops at vmovaps instruction
> > in gemm_(). IIUC, vmovaps is an AVX instruction which is not
> > supported by Core i7 870.
> >
> > In another PC with Core i7-4790 which supports AVX, the issue
> > does not occur.
> >

> Hi Takashi,
>
> maybe is time to build the 0.3.15 ....
> https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/releases
>
> x86_64:
>
>      added support for Intel Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET)
>      reverted the DOMATCOPY_RT code to the generic C version
>      fixed a bug in the AVX512 SGEMM kernel introduced in 0.3.14
>      fixed misapplication of -msse flag to non-SSE cpus in DYNAMIC_ARCH
>      added support for compilation of the benchmarks on older OSX versions
>      fixed propagation of the NO_AVX512 option in CMAKE builds
>      fixed compilation of the AVX512 SGEMM kernel with clang-cl on Windows
>      fixed compilation of the CTESTs with INTERFACE64=1 (random faults
> on OSX)
>      corrected the Haswell DROT kernel to require AVX2/FMA3 rather than
> AVX512
>

> give me some time, openblas is a bit time consuming

Thanks for the information.

I have built openblas 0.3.15 locally, and confirmed that
it works fine with Core i7 870 (Lynnfield).

I will test it if you provide the test version of 0.3.15.

P.S.
The same issue happnes also with Xeon X5680 and v0.3.14.

--

@ 2021-05-19 16:24       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2021-05-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano, cygwin

On 19.05.2021 16:25, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi, Marco

> I have built openblas 0.3.15 locally, and confirmed that
> it works fine with Core i7 870 (Lynnfield).
>
> I will test it if you provide the test version of 0.3.15.
>
> P.S.
> The same issue happnes also with Xeon X5680 and v0.3.14.

Hi Takashi

the 64bit  0.3.15 is up.
32 bit version will follow

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openblas-0.3.14-1
@ 2021-05-19 17:21         ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2021-05-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 19 May 2021 18:24:56 +0200
Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 19.05.2021 16:25, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > Hi, Marco
>
> > I have built openblas 0.3.15 locally, and confirmed that
> > it works fine with Core i7 870 (Lynnfield).
> >
> > I will test it if you provide the test version of 0.3.15.
> >
> > P.S.
> > The same issue happnes also with Xeon X5680 and v0.3.14.
>
> Hi Takashi
>
> the 64bit  0.3.15 is up.
> 32 bit version will follow

I have confirmed that the issue has been fixed in v0.3.15.
Thank you for the quick response.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>