* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.917)
@ 2022-01-25 22:33 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2022-01-25 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 6:12 PM Bill Stewart wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>Windows protected your PC
>> Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting.
>> Running this app might put your PC at risk.
>>

>Not to state the obvious, but this means that the Microsoft antivirus program prevented it from running.
>
>Exclude it.

I have no control over the antivirus, so cannot exclude it.

The point was that this wasn't a problem with 2.915, so most likely is the result of some change made in 2.917.

However, this morning, after a reboot, it seems to work OK.

Sorry for any bother.

Thanks,

- Barry

* RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.917)
@ 2022-01-24 22:49 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2022-01-24 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I cannot run setup 2.917.

When trying to start setup-x86_64 -n -B under cmd.exe or by cygstart under
bash, I get the following error message.

Unable to start 'C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\setup-x86_64.exe': The operating
system denied access to the specified file.

Adding -w to the command line does not help.

Opening direct from Chrome gets the following error message.

Windows protected your PC
Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting.
Running this app might put your PC at risk.

Setup 2.915 still works fine.

Thanks

- Barry

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.917)
@ 2022-01-24 20:02 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-01-24 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new version of Setup (2.917) has been uploaded to:

  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe  (64 bit version)
  https://cygwin.com/setup-x86.exe     (32 bit version)

Changes compared to 2.915:

- Show a warning if running on a deprecated Windows version

Support for:
- Windows 6.0 (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008)
- 32-bit Windows (including WoW64)
in Cygwin is deprecated and will be removed in the next major version,
sometime this year.

This warning can be disabled with the '--no-warn-deprecated-windows' or
'-w' option, or using a "In the future, do not show me this dialogue
box" checkbox.

- Fix setup silently exiting if elevated and 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks:lnk' is
in the environment (by ignoring that environment variable)
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-January/250523.html

- Fix creating bogus versions of obsoleted packages (under certain
specific circumstances), which then fail to download because they don't
exist!
   Addresses: https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-January/250604.html

For instructions on obtaining and building the source code for setup,
see https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Please send bug reports, as usual, to the public mailing list cygwin AT
cygwin DOT com.