* bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
@ 2022-04-29 19:21 Wes Barris
From: Wes Barris @ 2022-04-29 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For the past couple of months the latest versions of cygwin produce this error
when attempting to reference a network drive.  There have been a couple of other
threads reporting this and talk about patches.  Is there a fix coming for this
in the production version of cygwin?

$ cd /cygdrive/w
bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
$ mount
C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
M: on /cygdrive/m type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
P: on /cygdrive/p type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
S: on /cygdrive/s type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
V: on /cygdrive/v type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
W: on /cygdrive/w type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

--
Wes Barris

https://www.avg.com

* Re: bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
@ 2022-04-29 23:09 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-04-29 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Wes Barris

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-April/251332.html

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
@ 2022-04-29 23:27   ` Wes Barris
From: Wes Barris @ 2022-04-29 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/29/2022 6:09 PM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:21:01 -0500
> Wes Barris wrote:
>> For the past couple of months the latest versions of cygwin produce this error
>> when attempting to reference a network drive.  There have been a couple of other
>> threads reporting this and talk about patches.  Is there a fix coming for this
>> in the production version of cygwin?
>>
>> $ cd /cygdrive/w
>> bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
>> $ mount
>> C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
>> C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
>> C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> M: on /cygdrive/m type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> P: on /cygdrive/p type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> S: on /cygdrive/s type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> V: on /cygdrive/v type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> W: on /cygdrive/w type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-April/251332.html

Thanks.  Yes, that post describes what is happening to me.  Is there a fix
coming for this?
--

@ 2022-04-30  2:20     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-04-30  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Wes Barris

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:27:45 -0500
Wes Barris wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 6:09 PM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:21:01 -0500
> > Wes Barris wrote:
> >> For the past couple of months the latest versions of cygwin produce this error
> >> when attempting to reference a network drive.  There have been a couple of other
> >> threads reporting this and talk about patches.  Is there a fix coming for this
> >> in the production version of cygwin?
> >>
> >> $ cd /cygdrive/w
> >> bash: cd: /cygdrive/w: Too many levels of symbolic links
> >> $ mount
> >> C:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> >> C:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> >> C:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> >> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> M: on /cygdrive/m type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> P: on /cygdrive/p type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> S: on /cygdrive/s type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> V: on /cygdrive/v type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >> W: on /cygdrive/w type ntfs (binary,noacl,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> >
> > https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-April/251332.html
> >

> Thanks.  Yes, that post describes what is happening to me.  Is there a fix
> coming for this?

We are planning to release cygwin 3.3.5 in which the issue
has been fixed soon after a few ongoing issues will be settled.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>