* Fortinet AV reports virus in trust.exe
@ 2022-07-19  8:40 Tuomo Takkula
From: Tuomo Takkula @ 2022-07-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Fortinet Antivirus reported W64/Encoder.834E!tr in my local cygwin installation. When I tried to rectify be reinstalling, Fortinet barked on the installation files as well. As this is a company box, I'm somewhat at the end of my tether  - cannot inspect or otherwise investigate the file.
That is I cannot check whether it's possibly a false positive or not.

What's the usual procedure for this?

Best regards
Tuomo

* Re: Fortinet AV reports virus in trust.exe
@ 2022-07-19 12:40 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-07-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 08:40:48AM +0000, Tuomo Takkula via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fortinet Antivirus reported W64/Encoder.834E!tr in my local cygwin installation. When I tried to rectify be reinstalling, Fortinet barked on the installation files as well. As this is a company box, I'm somewhat at the end of my tether  - cannot inspect or otherwise investigate the file.
> That is I cannot check whether it's possibly a false positive or not.
>
> What's the usual procedure for this?

https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.setup.virus

In short: you'll need to take up the issue with Fortinet and/or your
employer's IT department.  It's very likely a false positive, and we're
not going to be able to help until or unless you can show otherwise.