From: "René Berber" <rene.berber@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Vim gives error message since 8.2.3755-1
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 21:52:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On 7/24/2022 8:11 PM, Thomas DiModica via Cygwin wrote:

> Since 8.2.3755-1, Vim has given me an error message about being
> unable to open the defaults.vim file whenever I open a file with vi.
> I do not see this message with 8.2.0486-1. Notably, vi --version for
> the last two updates tell me that the user vimrc file is
> "/home/Marco/.virc", rather than "$HOME/.virc". [snip]

Depends on what you are really using, my vim is the alias of vi, and the
"user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc", not .virc

$ which vi
/usr/bin/vi

$ type vi
vi is aliased to `vim'

$ vi --version
VIM - Vi IMproved 8.2 (2019 Dec 12, compiled Feb 13 2022 22:15:51)
    system vimrc file: "/etc/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
  2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
       user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"

My guess is that one of those files have changed things up.

Also I think vim detects that it was called with an alias, and may
behave differently.
--
R.B.