* Windows file security
@ 2022-12-22 11:26 Christopher Ng
From: Christopher Ng @ 2022-12-22 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi,

is it possible to secure the files of the cygwin installation?  i
notice that at the 'regular' cygwin prompt i can write to any
directory, and modify anything.  isn't this somewhat insecure if eg
i'm running cygwin as an ssh server, but any process running as me can
go and modify sshd?

how does one make files non-writable by normal users?

* Re: Windows file security
@ 2022-12-22 11:45 ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2022-12-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Christopher Ng

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:26:08 +0000
Christopher Ng wrote:
> hi,
>
> is it possible to secure the files of the cygwin installation?  i
> notice that at the 'regular' cygwin prompt i can write to any
> directory, and modify anything.  isn't this somewhat insecure if eg
> i'm running cygwin as an ssh server, but any process running as me can
> go and modify sshd?
>
> how does one make files non-writable by normal users?

1) Remove Administrators rights from normal users.
2) Enable Administrator account.
3) Install cygwin using Administrator account.

Then the cygwin system files will not be writable
by normal users.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>