* Use only ssh server.
@ 2023-08-14  5:56 Paolo Sezart
From: Paolo Sezart @ 2023-08-14  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to use only ssh server from Cygwin. To access only the Windows
command prompt via ssh with a Windows password login. I need a minimum size
and ssh operation as a windows service. What files and folders from the ssh
distribution are needed for this? I am interested in the minimum size.
Thanks.

* Re: Use only ssh server.
@ 2023-08-14  6:02 ` Takashi Yano
       [not found]   ` <CAP77oFvrFEew+ZSeHb+HJBt4V-zYWknq4qpYMqd-feHfHucD5A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-08-14  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Paolo Sezart

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:56:45 +0500
Paolo Sezart wrote:
> I would like to use only ssh server from Cygwin. To access only the Windows
> command prompt via ssh with a Windows password login. I need a minimum size
> and ssh operation as a windows service. What files and folders from the ssh
> distribution are needed for this? I am interested in the minimum size.

You don't need cygwin ssh at all for that purpose.
Just enable Windows OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd) service
from service manager.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: Use only ssh server.
       [not found]   ` <CAP77oFvrFEew+ZSeHb+HJBt4V-zYWknq4qpYMqd-feHfHucD5A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-08-16  1:13     ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-08-16  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Paolo Sezart

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:06:46 +0500
Paolo Sezart wrote:
> I have windows 7 and for this I would not want to install windows 10.

OK, I see.

Easiest way is install OpenSSH for windows using *.msi
installer.
https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/releases

I guess the installation size will be less than cygwin
sshd environment.

--

@ 2023-08-16  2:53       ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-08-16  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:13:13 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:06:46 +0500
> Paolo Sezart wrote:
> > I have windows 7 and for this I would not want to install windows 10.
>
> OK, I see.
>
> Easiest way is install OpenSSH for windows using *.msi
> installer.
> https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32-OpenSSH/releases
>
> I guess the installation size will be less than cygwin
> sshd environment.

I tried make minimal cygwin environment where only sshd works.

With /etc/nsswitch.conf having the following two lines:

db_home /cygdrive/c/Users/%U
de_shell /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/cmd.exe

, only the following files are necessary after running
ssh-host-config.

.:
bin/
dev/
etc/
lib/
sbin/
tmp/
usr/
var/

./bin:
cygcom_err-2.dll*
cygcrypt-2.dll*
cygcrypto-1.1.dll*
cyggcc_s-seh-1.dll*
cyggssapi_krb5-2.dll*
cygiconv-2.dll*
cygintl-8.dll*
cygk5crypto-3.dll*
cygkrb5-3.dll*
cygkrb5support-0.dll*
cygrunsrv.exe*
cygwin1.dll*
cygz.dll*
ssh.exe*

./etc:
fstab
nsswitch.conf
ssh_host_ecdsa_key
ssh_host_ecdsa_key.pub
ssh_host_ed25519_key
ssh_host_ed25519_key.pub
ssh_host_rsa_key
ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
sshd_config

./usr:
sbin/

./usr/sbin:
sshd.exe*

./var:
log/

This takes 6.6MB while OpenSSH for windows takes 6.5MB.
Almost the same size!

--

@ 2023-08-16  3:13         ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2023-08-16  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:53:11 +0900
Takashi Yano wrote:
> de_shell /cygdrive/c/Windows/system32/cmd.exe
   ^
Sorry, db_shell of cource.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>