* Line ending digits in /etc/setup/installed.db
@ 2016-09-19 11:35 Fergus
From: Fergus @ 2016-09-19 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

About 18% of the lines in my /etc/setup/installed.db end in " 1", the rest
i.e. large majority end in " 0".
Running setup does NOT attempt to re-install the packages identified by "
0".
(Strange - that's exactly what I thought it would do ...)
The set-up seems to possess full functionality.
Can anybody explain / interpret the different endings?
Fergus

* Re: Line ending digits in /etc/setup/installed.db
@ 2016-09-19 11:47 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2016-09-19 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus, cygwin

Greetings, Fergus!

> About 18% of the lines in my /etc/setup/installed.db end in " 1", the rest
> i.e. large majority end in " 0".
> Running setup does NOT attempt to re-install the packages identified by "
> 0".
> (Strange - that's exactly what I thought it would do ...)
> The set-up seems to possess full functionality.
> Can anybody explain / interpret the different endings?

These packages are simple not installed?…
You didn't provide any relevant information.

P.S.
Before you go on installing everything, think of what you actually need.
Very few people would find a use for even half the provided packages.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Line ending digits in /etc/setup/installed.db
@ 2016-09-19 14:10 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2016-09-19 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/09/2016 10:48, Fergus wrote:
> About 18% of the lines in my /etc/setup/installed.db end in " 1", the rest
> i.e. large majority end in " 0".
> Running setup does NOT attempt to re-install the packages identified by "
> 0".
> (Strange - that's exactly what I thought it would do ...)
> The set-up seems to possess full functionality.
> Can anybody explain / interpret the different endings?

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6d6c600edffdb83a57ed13384e38a504fdc366b
https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=package_db.cc;h=eb7ff6b5d1d15def09a1ebff837986e2e3ea3290;hb=HEAD#l159

Packages which aren't installed aren't recorded in installed.db (hence the name).  This hasn't changed.

* Re: Line ending digits in /etc/setup/installed.db
@ 2016-09-19 18:03   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2016-09-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2016-09-19 05:47, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 19/09/2016 10:48, Fergus wrote:
>> About 18% of the lines in my /etc/setup/installed.db end in " 1",
>> the rest i.e. large majority end in " 0". Running setup does NOT
>> attempt to re-install the packages identified by " 0". (Strange -
>> that's exactly what I thought it would do ...) The set-up seems to
>> possess full functionality. Can anybody explain / interpret the
>> different endings?
>
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=commitdiff;
> h=f6d6c600edffdb83a57ed13384e38a504fdc366b
>https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-apps/setup.git;a=blob;f=package_db.cc;
> h=eb7ff6b5d1d15def09a1ebff837986e2e3ea3290;hb=HEAD#l159

For the code challenged 0 means dependencies of packages you picked flagged by 1.