* MYSQL cygwin database connection requests root password
       [not found] <2123854420.757325.1692231217070.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-08-17  0:13 ` HECTOR MENDEZ
From: HECTOR MENDEZ @ 2023-08-17  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone I saw that in order to connect MYSQL database on cygwin, this statement must be executed:
mysql -u root -p -h 127.0.0.1
However, as far as I know, there's no root user on cygwin.
How can I get that requested password?
Thank you in advance.
Regards

* Re: MYSQL cygwin database connection requests root password
@ 2023-08-17  4:55   ` rappard
From: rappard @ 2023-08-17  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HECTOR MENDEZ; +Cc: cygwin

> Hi everyone I saw that in order to connect MYSQL database on cygwin, this statement must be executed:
> mysql -u root -p -h 127.0.0.1
> However, as far as I know, there's no root user on cygwin.
> How can I get that requested password?

Isn't "root" a MySQL username? If I recall correctly its default
password is either empty or "root".

* Re: MYSQL cygwin database connection requests root password
@ 2023-08-18 22:14     ` HECTOR MENDEZ
From: HECTOR MENDEZ @ 2023-08-18 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rappard; +Cc: cygwin

Hi there,
 I tried with an empty password and "root" word a password but no luck, so far.

@ 2023-08-18 22:53       ` bzs
From: bzs @ 2023-08-18 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HECTOR MENDEZ; +Cc: rappard, cygwin

On August 18, 2023 at 22:14 cygwin@cygwin.com (HECTOR MENDEZ via Cygwin) wrote:

 > Hi there,
 >  I tried with an empty password and "root" word a password but no luck, so far.
 > Thank you    El miércoles, 16 de agosto de 2023, 22:56:12 GMT-6, rappard@dds.nl <rappard@dds.nl> escribió:

MySQL's 'root' account and the system root account have little
relationship other than they share the same four characters in the
same order.

There are instructions in the online MySQL manual on how to recover
the MySQL root password, no doubt others have summarized, try your
favorite search engine.

But it basically amounts to:

1. Stop the MySQL server

2. Start it with a command line flag which says don't use passwords

3. Login as root via the MySQL client, it won't ask for a password

4. Set a password for that root account using the usual MySQL SET
PASSWORD command

5. Logout of the client

6. Stop the MySQL server

7. Start the MySQL the normal way, without the flag to not use
passwords

8. You are done

Here's a link to the MySQL 8.0 instructions;

  https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@TheWorld.com             | http://www.TheWorld.com