* Re: Please explain how to add to a thread in this mailing list
@ 2016-08-12  8:44 Thomas Taylor
From: Thomas Taylor @ 2016-08-12  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'd like to thank all of you who responded with advice on how to use
this mailing list, and how to reply to a post.  I'd especially like to
thank Kaz Kylheku for his extensive and detailed tutorial on how to use
the mailing list, written as a reply to my original post.  I encourage
everyone to take a look at it.

Eliot Moss suggested I sign up for the list, as I had just gone ahead
and posted what I think is a bug ("tcsh version 6.19.00-3 hangs on
exit") without realizing I should first sign up.  I then subscribed to
the list in digest form, but it's difficult to use (emails come as
individual numbered attachments, which must be cross-referenced to the
digest itself), and doesn't lend itself to back-and-forth use.  Greg
Freemyer suggested that I instead subscribe such that I get each post as
a separate email.

Jack (no last name) and Kaz both emphasized the importance of the
"References" field in the message header.  I noticed the References
field in the posts that were replies to my original post, but had no
idea of how to incorporate this field into my replies to the replies.
As I had not yet subscribed to the list, I had no emails to reply to.
If I understand correctly, such emails would have included the essential
References field in their message headers.  As I had not yet subscribed,
I had no emails to reply to, and thus posted my replies (like this one)
as top-level posts.

And Kaz, I should have been cutting and pasting quoted text from the
archive, but unfortunately I wasn't.  That's why none of my replies
(really completely new messages) quote the original message when replying.

Everybody, please correct me if I've gotten anything wrong.

From: Thomas Taylor @ 2016-08-12  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you for responding to my post.  I think I asked the wrong
question.  What I really want to know is how to use this mailing list
and others like it.  I'm new at this, and can't find any instructions
anywhere.  Such lists must have become part of the culture, and I must
have missed school that day.  I'm able to create a post, but don't know
how to reply to one.  Somehow I got the feeling that I should only reply
to the mailing list, rather than directly to the person (like you) who
responded to my post.  I don't get responses via email, and don't even
know if I should.  Instead, I check for them periodically on the web
page for the mailing list archive.  If I find a response, I don't know
the right way to reply.

From: Thomas Taylor @ 2016-08-12  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried to reply to the person who replied to my original post.  I did
this by sending an email to this mailing list, with "RE: <original
subject line>" as the new subject line.  The mailing list took this to
be a reply to my original post, rather than a reply to the person who
replied to my original post.  Should I have used "RE: RE: <original
subject line" instead?