* taskset in util-linux?
@ 2019-04-06  0:37 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2019-04-06  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear cygwin-ers --

I am wondering about the absence of tasket from Cygwin's
util-linux package.  While I can imagine that the Linux
version of that program might no port directly, Windows
does seem to support similar functionality -- cmd.exe
accepts a /affinity switch.  It is ugly, perhaps comparatively
slow, etc., to have to run a Cygwin task with affinity
going through cmd (and I found no way to make that work
without popping up a cmd window, that then goes away when
the task completes).

Any possibility of getting this supported under Cygwin?
I have no idea what underlying calls, etc., might need
support ...

Likewise, it would be nice to be able to control the
performance settings (clock speed) via the /sys method
supported under (some) Linux versions:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/{no_turbo,{min,max}_perf_pct}

One might link these to something (probably new) in /proc.

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: taskset in util-linux?
@ 2019-04-08  2:15 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2019-04-08  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 20:37 -0400, Eliot Moss wrote:
> I am wondering about the absence of tasket from Cygwin's
> util-linux package.  While I can imagine that the Linux
> version of that program might no port directly, Windows
> does seem to support similar functionality -- cmd.exe
> accepts a /affinity switch.  It is ugly, perhaps comparatively
> slow, etc., to have to run a Cygwin task with affinity
> going through cmd (and I found no way to make that work
> without popping up a cmd window, that then goes away when
> the task completes).
>
> Any possibility of getting this supported under Cygwin?
> I have no idea what underlying calls, etc., might need
> support ...

Cygwin does not have the requisite sched_[gs]etaffinity functions; PTC.

> Likewise, it would be nice to be able to control the
> performance settings (clock speed) via the /sys method
> supported under (some) Linux versions:
>
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/{no_turbo,{min,max}_perf_pct}
>
> One might link these to something (probably new) in /proc.

Cygwin does not support /sys at all.

--
Yaakov

* Re: taskset in util-linux?
@ 2019-04-08 22:10   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2019-04-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/7/2019 10:15 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 20:37 -0400, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> I am wondering about the absence of tasket from Cygwin's
>> util-linux package.  While I can imagine that the Linux
>> version of that program might no port directly, Windows
>> does seem to support similar functionality -- cmd.exe
>> accepts a /affinity switch.  It is ugly, perhaps comparatively
>> slow, etc., to have to run a Cygwin task with affinity
>> going through cmd (and I found no way to make that work
>> without popping up a cmd window, that then goes away when
>> the task completes).
>>
>> Any possibility of getting this supported under Cygwin?
>> I have no idea what underlying calls, etc., might need
>> support ...
>
> Cygwin does not have the requisite sched_[gs]etaffinity functions; PTC.

Yes, I knew that, so I probably should have mentioned it.  I can
rephrase: Any chance of getting those functions added, and *then*
having taskset as part of Cygwin's util-linux?

I've not tinkered with Cygwin internals much, so I'm not sure I
could develop a worthy patch.

>> Likewise, it would be nice to be able to control the
>> performance settings (clock speed) via the /sys method
>> supported under (some) Linux versions:
>>
>> /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/{no_turbo,{min,max}_perf_pct}
>>
>> One might link these to something (probably new) in /proc.
>
> Cygwin does not support /sys at all.

Yes, again, I could see that.  I'm asking more about the functionality
as opposed to where exactly it is found.  Again, I can use CMD commands
to accomplish it, but it is somewhat ugly.  Reading / writing some new
/proc entries would be fine :-) ...  If necessary I could build /sys
links to the /proc entries to make it more transparent.

Regards - Eliot