* certain files not seen in cygwin but seen in windows
@ 2020-06-09  2:38 Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2020-06-09  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin,

The last time I viewed this list was maybe 10 years ago or more.

Recently, I've had a very serious problem: I could not see certain
files in cygwin's bash and other shells but I can see  them on Windows
explorer and Windows command line.  I've tried setting windows file
attributes via cmd's "attrib -A -S -H -R -I" to no avail.  The files
don't show up in cygwin's commands ls, find, grep, etc...

As such, my shell scripts broke whenever they ran in directories where
those files were unaccessible via bash.

After diagnosing this for several months, I almost wanted to give up
and live with this, putting unnecessary workaround in my code so the
scripts would run.

I still felt irritated that I had to add and write 'unnecessary code'
due to this issue.  Thus, I decided to write mail for cygwin to
describe my problem.  Before I hit the send button, I recalled that a
decade ago, cygwin maintainers consistently reminded us to update to
the newest cygwin1.dll and see if the problem has been solved there.

So that's what I did, but not trusting that it would work.  Upon
updating to 3.1.5, the problem disappeared and I could now see my
files in cygwin!!!!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I should have done that first!!!

The problem is completely solved so this mail is not a report of
something.  I just wanna say thank you to cygwin maintainers led by
cygwin project leader Corinna Vinschen and the rest of the cygwin
team!  This affirms the adage: 'if you think there is a bug, get the
latest cygwin dll first before complaining.'

I have been using cygwin for 2 decades now and it really rocks!!!!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo

* Re: certain files not seen in cygwin but seen in windows
@ 2020-06-09 13:03 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2020-06-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Florendo, cygwin

Greetings, Carlo Florendo!

> Recently, I've had a very serious problem: I could not see certain
> files in cygwin's bash and other shells but I can see  them on Windows
> explorer and Windows command line.  I've tried setting windows file
> attributes via cmd's "attrib -A -S -H -R -I" to no avail.  The files
> don't show up in cygwin's commands ls, find, grep, etc...

There was a time, when files marked as Temporary were not shown in Cygwin.
The ATTRIB command can't show/change this attribute.

> As such, my shell scripts broke whenever they ran in directories where
> those files were unaccessible via bash.

> After diagnosing this for several months, I almost wanted to give up
> and live with this, putting unnecessary workaround in my code so the
> scripts would run.

You could use Far manager[1] f.e. to show/set more attributes.

[1] https://farmanager.com/

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin