* RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-17  1:01 Horak Daniel
From: Horak Daniel @ 1999-06-17  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien', 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> Looking for a good SQL Database, I was waiting for Posgresql 6.5 that
> authors claim to be compatible with cygwin. It's _not_ ! or
> at an expensive
> port cost.

I have to say that it works (but sometimes it dies when it tries to run a
new process). I am one of the authors.

> See http://www.postgresql.org/index.html
>
> Using cygwin 20.1 on NT4 SP5 it fails on the very first steps
> (./configure
> !!)
>
> First, it requires cygwin32_ipc otherwise ./configure stops
> saying that gcc
> does not work.
>
> After a _lot_ of patches in Makefile distrib, I finally give
> up on an error
> in sem.h
>
> Is there somewhere a _working_ port available in binary form
> or a diff that
> makes the distribution works?

Binaries are not yet available. But for compiling you don't need any
additional patches, I have tested 6.5beta1.

There is a step-by-step manual at
http://members.tripod.com/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html . But when you mount
all your disks in binary mode it is a bit simpler:
- install Cygwin from full.exe
- install cygipc package and crypt library, headers and libs into the cygwin
tree (links are at the metioned URL)
- install additional headers from src/win32 as described in src/win32/README
- run ./configure; make; make install; ... as described in docs for
PostgreSQL

this is README.NT from the latest development snapshot (after release of
6.5)
From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl>
To: "Pgsql-Ports@Postgresql. Org" <pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org>
Subject: RE: [PORTS] Re: psql under win32
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:07:47 +0200

Installing PostgreSQL on NT:

It can be done by done by typing configure, make and make install.

1. Install the Cygwin package
2. Update to EGCS 1.1.2

1. Install the Andy Piper Tools

1. Download the Cygwin32 IPC Package by Ludovic LANGE.
2. Untar the package and follow the readme instructions.
3. I tested 1.03.
4. I used the \cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\lib and
\cygwin-b20\h-i568-cygwin32\i586-cygwin32\include\sys instead of the
/usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/sys.

1. Download the current snapshot.tar.gz (24-3-98).
2. Untar the package.
3. Copy the files from \pgsql\src\win32 according to the readme file.
3. Edit \pgsql\src\template\cygwin32 if needed (I had to adjust the YFLAGS
path).
4. ./configure
5. make
6. create the directory /usr/local/pgsql manually: the mkdir cannot create a
directory 2 levels deep in one step.
7. make install
8. cd /usr/lical/pgsql/doc
9. make install
10. Set the environmental data
11. Initdb --username=jkr (do not run this command as administrator)

12. Open a new Cygwin command prompt
13. Start "ipc-deamon&" (background proces)
14. Start "postmaster -i 2>&1 > /tmp/postgres.log &" (background proces)
15. Start "tail -f /tmp/postgres.log" to see the messages

16. cd /usr/src/pgsql/src/test/regress
17. make all runtest

* RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Horak Daniel
From: Horak Daniel @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien', 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl>
To: "Pgsql-Ports@Postgresql. Org" <pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:07:47 +0200

@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> 5) call the build process using 'make'
>    This one hangs after fews minutes after try to find libcrypt.a which is
> not
>    currently in cygwin distribution. Which one to use ?

you may consider to use Sergey's crypt() distribution which may be found on our
web site too.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* Re: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-30 22:10     ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D.
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D. @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien, cygwin

> > My libcrypt.a was in the Andy Piper tools.
>

> Perhaps, it could help other users if you provide the required
> files/tools/library as a separate tar.gz file from the standard
> distribution.
>
> Now I'have correctly made the compilation. I gonna test further the binary.
>
> Thank you for your help.

You can get a libcrypt-cygwin-b20.1.tar.bz2 only
from ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree

Since libcrypt.a is also needed to compile cygwin-xfree
development sources, therefore I have uploaded it there.

Suhaib

* RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Christian Jullien
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

I didn' t find any README.NT in the official 06/15/1999 distribution nor
form the previous mail (perhaps in 06/18/1999 snapshot).

> > 2) sh configure complains that backend/port/tas/dummy.s
> > cannot be linked to
> > tas.s
> ?????? Not at my machine.

You're right, the official distribution contains dummy.s but it's a little
bit too dummy fot this stupid (but useful) winzip70 (0 bytes silently
removed). An empty line with a single carriage return should make winzip
(and me) happy.

> My libcrypt.a was in the Andy Piper tools.

I've found a link to ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/aux/ and pay a fortune
to transfert the complete ~4.5 Mbytes tools suite just to have a ~8 Kbytes
libcrypt.a. To now more of what it is exacly needed, I just installed the
missing files and ONLY libcrypt.a is used from Andy Piper tools (other tools
are also interesting for other purpose but not to compile Postgresql).

@ 1999-06-30 22:10   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld
  Cc: 'Christian Jullien', Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> > Then I try to setup Postgres with initdb using 'postgres' or my valid
> > account 'jullien' but got :
> >
> > NOUSER
> >

> > This is because initdb uses pg_id which in turn calls
> > getpwnam. I guess that
> > I also have to create
> > an /etc/passwd. After doing that,
> >
> > initdb --username=my-login works better,
> Yep, that is what a complete installation of the Andy Piper tools do.

but you may setup the /etc/passwd and /etc/groups files without the
usr-local package from Andy using the basic utilities provided by Cygwin's
full.exe setup.

Regards,
Stipe

From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: cygwin

> Looking for a good SQL Database, I was waiting for Posgresql 6.5 that
> authors claim to be compatible with cygwin. It's _not_ ! or at an expensive
> port cost.
>
> See http://www.postgresql.org/index.html
>
> Using cygwin 20.1 on NT4 SP5 it fails on the very first steps (./configure
> !!)
>
> First, it requires cygwin32_ipc otherwise ./configure stops saying that gcc
> does not work.

the IPC routines are required for PostgreSQL, so you will need them.

> Is there somewhere a _working_ port available in binary form or a diff that
> makes the distribution works?

Please check out the NT port from http://www.askesis.nl or download their
binary distribution from our web site, see URL below.

Regards,
Stipe

From: Horak Daniel @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> > 3) check that MAKE_MODE is set to UNIX otherwise 'if' shell
> > command will try
> >    execute cmd.exe but not /bin/sh 'if' shell.
> >
> >    bash$ export MAKE_MODE=UNIX
> Correct. I have forgotten to mention that.

I think it is already set when running bash from cygnus.bat (from the "Start
menu")

			Dan

* RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

All works without binairy mounts.

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Groenewoudseweg 46
6524VB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
email: JKraaijeveld@askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

Trying to make Postgresql running on my NT box,
I make 'make install'

Then I try to setup Postgres with initdb using 'postgres' or my valid
account 'jullien' but got :

38:/usr/local/pgsql>initdb --username=postgres

[: NOUSER: bad number
Valid username not given.  You must specify the username for
the Postgres superuser for the database system you are
initializing, either with the --username option or by default
to the USER environment variable.
39:/usr/local/pgsql>initdb --username=jullien

[: NOUSER: bad number
Valid username not given.  You must specify the username for
the Postgres superuser for the database system you are
initializing, either with the --username option or by default
to the USER environment variable.

I must confess that I still not have install the full Andy Piper, since I
want to know what is the _minimal_ requirement to run Postgresql. You said
that I need users and usergroups. Running 'users' (from full.exe cygwin
tools ?) says that /var/run/utmp did'nt exist, where did it come from ? I
created and empty one without more success.

Eligis: Christian Jullien (OOP consultant)
10, RUE REJANE - 95120 ERMONT (France)
Eligis@wanadoo.fr - +33 130.72.98.20

From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> My goal is to have the port has easy as:
>
> 	bash$ sh configure
> 	bash$ make
> 	bash$ make install
>
> That's what I consider 'right out of the box'.
That's what I type.

> 1) Prerequisit: Postgresql requires cygwin32_ipc-1.03.tar.gz
>    ./configure should test that this package is already
> installed, otherwise
> it
>    complains that gcc is not able to produce executable!!
I don't mind thinking. I know that I have to install the Andy Piper
tools and Cygwin32_ipc before I try to do a configure. I am not smart
enough to adapt the configuration script.

> 2) sh configure complains that backend/port/tas/dummy.s
> cannot be linked to
> tas.s
?????? Not at my machine.

> 3) check that MAKE_MODE is set to UNIX otherwise 'if' shell
> command will try
>    execute cmd.exe but not /bin/sh 'if' shell.
>
>    bash$ export MAKE_MODE=UNIX
Correct. I have forgotten to mention that.

> 4) inform the user to change or check Makefile.global to
> reflect its current
>    installation. For example; my system didn't defined /sw
> directory for
> bison files
Is in the readme.nt (in the development version of postgresql, post
release 6.5?) and in the file I have send to you.

> 5) call the build process using 'make'
>    This one hangs after fews minutes after try to find
> libcrypt.a which is
> not
>    currently in cygwin distribution. Which one to use ?
>
>    I give up on that point.
My libcrypt.a was in the Andy Piper tools.

> When you say 'All works without binairy mounts', does it
> means _right now_
> or is it already done in 6.5 distribution ?
Right now is the 6.5 final release version. That's what I use.

From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

Hi Christian,

> Looking for a good SQL Database, I was waiting for Posgresql 6.5 that
> authors claim to be compatible with cygwin. It's _not_ ! or
> at an expensive
> port cost.
No it works, all be it that some work must be done (there appears to be
a problem with the locking at this moment). Actually it (version 6.5,
release version) compiles out of the box. You will have to install the
Andy Piper tools and the Cygwin IPC library.

> First, it requires cygwin32_ipc otherwise ./configure stops
> saying that gcc
> does not work.
Yes, that is correct.

> After a _lot_ of patches in Makefile distrib, I finally give
> up on an error
> in sem.h
No patches needed. It compiles out of the biox (t

> Is there somewhere a _working_ port available in binary form
> or a diff that
> makes the distribution works?
Yes, on my machine, but as the source is compilable do that. I will not
send you a binairy unless you have tried hard enough to compile.

From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-30 22:10 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Horak Daniel <horak@mmp.plzen-city.cz> wrote:
-8<-
> There is a step-by-step manual at
> http://members.tripod.com/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html . But when you mount
> all your disks in binary mode it is a bit simpler:
-8<-

Oh, please don't do binary mounts.  It is a sin ;^).  It means that you port
lazy by relying on a binary default open mode instead of specifying it on the
opens or the file descriptors.  If you want to keep everyone happy please make
sure that you specify the binary file processing mode where they need to be
specified and the text file processing mode where they need to be specified.
You should never rely on a default!!
===
YAWIA,
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't include me)

From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

My goal is to have the port has easy as:

	bash$ sh configure
	bash$ make
	bash$ make install

That's what I consider 'right out of the box'.

If you share this goal with me I'm ready to spent time checking it finaly
work more easily than now.

Where are we ?

1) Prerequisit: Postgresql requires cygwin32_ipc-1.03.tar.gz
   ./configure should test that this package is already installed, otherwise
it
   complains that gcc is not able to produce executable!!

2) sh configure complains that backend/port/tas/dummy.s cannot be linked to
tas.s
   that's right it does not exist. I write my own dummy.s as :

/===========================================================================
==
   / tas.s -- test and set lock for cygwin

/===========================================================================
==

        .file   "tas.s"
        .text
        .align  16
        .globl  tas
   tas:
        ret                     /return

   Am I right ?

From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> libcrypt.a. To now more of what it is exacly needed, I just
> installed the
> missing files and ONLY libcrypt.a is used from Andy Piper
> tools (other tools
> are also interesting for other purpose but not to compile Postgresql).
Not for compiling only but also for running: you will need users and
usergroups etc. and I believe that there were siome utils in the Andy
Piper package (allthougth I am not sure).

From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> I've found a link to ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/aux/ and pay a fortune
> to transfert the complete ~4.5 Mbytes tools suite just to have a ~8 Kbytes
> libcrypt.a. To now more of what it is exacly needed, I just installed the
> missing files and ONLY libcrypt.a is used from Andy Piper tools (other tools
> are also interesting for other purpose but not to compile Postgresql).
> Perhaps, it could help other users if you provide the required
> files/tools/library as a separate tar.gz file from the standard
> distribution.

that's what we have done for our libcrypt distrbution.

Regards,
Stipe

--

@ 1999-06-21 16:39 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld
  Cc: 'Christian Jullien', Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-21 16:39   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-19  3:29 Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-19  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18 23:49 Christian Jullien
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18 22:55 ` Christian Jullien
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18 10:52 Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-18 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18  9:22   ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D.
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Ph.D. @ 1999-06-18  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien, cygwin

> > My libcrypt.a was in the Andy Piper tools.
>

> Perhaps, it could help other users if you provide the required
> files/tools/library as a separate tar.gz file from the standard
> distribution.
>
> Now I'have correctly made the compilation. I gonna test further the binary.
>
> Thank you for your help.

You can get a libcrypt-cygwin-b20.1.tar.bz2 only
from ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree

Since libcrypt.a is also needed to compile cygwin-xfree
development sources, therefore I have uploaded it there.

Suhaib

* RE: Postgresql 6. 5 cygwin  ports available ?
@ 1999-06-18  8:55 ` Christian Jullien
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18  6:57 Horak Daniel
From: Horak Daniel @ 1999-06-18  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18  6:46 Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-18  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

> My goal is to have the port has easy as:
>
> 	bash$ sh configure
> 	bash$ make
> 	bash$ make install
>
> That's what I consider 'right out of the box'.
That's what I type.

> 1) Prerequisit: Postgresql requires cygwin32_ipc-1.03.tar.gz
>    ./configure should test that this package is already
> installed, otherwise
> it
>    complains that gcc is not able to produce executable!!
I don't mind thinking. I know that I have to install the Andy Piper
tools and Cygwin32_ipc before I try to do a configure. I am not smart
enough to adapt the configuration script.

> 2) sh configure complains that backend/port/tas/dummy.s
> cannot be linked to
> tas.s
?????? Not at my machine.

@ 1999-06-18  5:33 ` Christian Jullien
From: Christian Jullien @ 1999-06-18  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kraaijeveld; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-18  4:26 Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-18  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

@ 1999-06-17  6:00 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-06-17  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-06-17  4:25 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-06-17  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Jullien; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-06-17  2:24 Joost Kraaijeveld
From: Joost Kraaijeveld @ 1999-06-17  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christian Jullien'; +Cc: Cygwin@Sourceware. Cygnus. Com (E-mail)

Hi Christian,

> Looking for a good SQL Database, I was waiting for Posgresql 6.5 that
> authors claim to be compatible with cygwin. It's _not_ ! or
> at an expensive
> port cost.
No it works, all be it that some work must be done (there appears to be
a problem with the locking at this moment). Actually it (version 6.5,
release version) compiles out of the box. You will have to install the
Andy Piper tools and the Cygwin IPC library.

> First, it requires cygwin32_ipc otherwise ./configure stops
> saying that gcc
> does not work.
Yes, that is correct.

@ 1999-06-16 23:52 Christian Jullien