* Longfilename problem with mintty 3.6.0
@ 2022-03-29  8:04 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2022-03-29  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

I'm having difficulty with longfilename in the latest mintty.
As follows:
If I try to work with a file with such a longfilename that it extends beyond the right hand edge
of the mintty window, as in say
$ mv longfilename .. .. OR
$ cp longfilename .. .. OR
$ md5sum longfilename OR
similar; and if I try to save effort by (as usual)
$ mv long<TAB>
and similar, then word-wrap does not occur and I end up with visual gobbledegook on a single line
(though I think the instruction completes).
This is new since 3.6.0.
(I thought it might be something to do with the new "re-wrap on re-size" facility but cannot develop
this suspicion into anything useful.)
Fergus

* RE: Longfilename problem with mintty 3.6.0
@ 2022-03-29  9:16 ` Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2022-03-29  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

>> I'm having difficulty with longfilename in the latest mintty.
>> This is new since 3.6.0.

Sorry. On a different machine, no difficulties. Possibly (or even likely) a local problem.
Apologies for sending.

* Re: Longfilename problem with mintty 3.6.0
@ 2022-03-29 10:45   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2022-03-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 29.03.2022 um 11:16 schrieb Fergus Daly:
>>> I'm having difficulty with longfilename in the latest mintty.
>>> This is new since 3.6.0.
Automatic line wrap-around (not "rewrap") can be turned on/off
dynamically by an escape sequence. This may result in unexpected
behaviour if an application is terminated irregularly, so it does not
restore modes.
Also it happens that a terminal resize, while in an application, is not
propagated to the shell, so it continues with a wrong line width assumption.