* setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-18 15:25 Ted To
From: Ted To @ 2017-05-18 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

It used to be the case that the default view for setup-x86.exe was
"Category".  How does one restore this behavior?  My first guess was an
option in /etc/setup/setup.rc but there seems to be no documentation on
this.

Thanks,
Ted To

* Re: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-18 17:22 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-05-18 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted To, cygwin

Greetings, Ted To!

> It used to be the case that the default view for setup-x86.exe was
> "Category".  How does one restore this behavior?  My first guess was an
> option in /etc/setup/setup.rc but there seems to be no documentation on
> this.

AFAIK, it remembers last one, and defaults to Category or Full on new install.
In either case, "pending" feels more useful on consequent updates.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-18 18:11   ` Ted To
From: Ted To @ 2017-05-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Andrey,

Unfortunately it defaults to "Pending" and does not remember when I set
it to "Category."  The next question is:  If it did remember, where
would that be?  I.e., what file do I edit to make it default to "Category"?

Thanks,
Ted

@ 2017-05-18 18:35     ` Sky Diver
From: Sky Diver @ 2017-05-18 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Ted To wrote:
> Unfortunately it defaults to "Pending" and does not remember when I set it
> to "Category."  The next question is:  If it did remember, where would that
> be?  I.e., what file do I edit to make it default to "Category"?

FWIW, I was planning on asking the same question because it looks like
the behavior is hard-coded, but I then realized that starting in
'Pending' mode make more sense.
This way you're able to see up front which modules will get
auto-upgraded and decide if to upgrade or keep the existing.

As an example, if this feature were on a while back, it would have
saved me a trip to the time machine in order to roll back PHP7 to
PHP5.

* Re: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-18 18:56       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-05-18 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-05-18 12:15, Sky Diver wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM, Ted To wrote:
>> Unfortunately it defaults to "Pending" and does not remember when I
>> set it to "Category."  The next question is:  If it did remember,
>> where would that be?  I.e., what file do I edit to make it default
>> to "Category"?

Good luck with /etc/setup/setup.rc:
chooser_window_settings
        44,0,1,4294967295,4294967295,4294967295,4294967295,101,401,1090,1181

> FWIW, I was planning on asking the same question because it looks
> like the behavior is hard-coded, but I then realized that starting
> in 'Pending' mode make more sense.
> This way you're able to see up front which modules will get
> auto-upgraded and decide if to upgrade or keep the existing.
> As an example, if this feature were on a while back, it would have
> saved me a trip to the time machine in order to roll back PHP7 to
> PHP5.

You should always check Pending last, to see what will be installed
or upgraded, if there is anything you forgot, don't need, or don't
want upgraded, and the download sizes, if time, speed, or space are
concerns, or you just don't want a pile of time or space used up by
some bloated packages.

* Re: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-19 12:40         ` Sky Diver
From: Sky Diver @ 2017-05-19 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> You should always check Pending last, to see what will be installed
> or upgraded, if there is anything you forgot, don't need, or don't
> want upgraded, and the download sizes, if time, speed, or space are
> concerns, or you just don't want a pile of time or space used up by
> some bloated packages.

Actually, the preferred user experience would be to:
1. Start in Category view
2. Select whatever packages to install/remove/etc.
3. Click "Next"
4. Have the Pending view show up in order to review whatever is going
to be installed.
5. Have the option to Approve / Cancel / Go Back

This way, the Pending view is shown at the right moment (after setup
instead of before) so there's no need to remember to manually do that.
Personally I don't use the setup program too often so I don't think
I'll remember to do that each time, especially when most setup
programs will show you a final summary with the list of files/packages
that would be installed and the amount of required disk space - prior
to installing the software - and will also wait for confirmation (even
text-based installers like apt-get, for example, behave like that).

* RE: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-19 13:16           ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2017-05-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sky Diver, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 1126 bytes --]

From: Sky Diver
> Actually, the preferred user experience would be to:
> 1. Start in Category view
> 2. Select whatever packages to install/remove/etc.
> 3. Click "Next"
> 4. Have the Pending view show up in order to review whatever is going
> to be installed.
> 5. Have the option to Approve / Cancel / Go Back

I am perfectly happy with the current Setup; however I would
be surprised if the typical user did not launch Setup mainly
to update packages already installed. Accordingly, Pending is
the logical view to show first. But I recognize that it would
be good to also show Pending as the last stage before actual
installation. Therefore, if changes are made to Setup, perhaps
start with Pending. If anything is added or deleted by going
off the Pending view, then Next should take you back to
Pending for a final review before actual installation.

--Ken Nellis
\0ТÒÐÐ¥\a&ö&ÆVÒ\a&W\x06÷'G3¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒ÷\a&ö&ÆV×2æ‡FÖÀФd\x15\x13¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöf\x17\x12ðФFö7VÖVçF\x17F–öã¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöFö72æ‡FÖÀÐ¥Vç7V'67&–&R\x06–æfó¢\x02\x02\x02\x02\x02\x06‡GG\x03¢òö7–wv–âæ6öÒöÖÂò7Vç7V'67&–&R×6–×\x06ÆPРÐ

* Re: setup-x86.exe default view
@ 2017-05-19 15:33             ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2017-05-19 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/19/2017 8:40 AM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> From: Sky Diver
>> Actually, the preferred user experience would be to:
>> 1. Start in Category view
>> 2. Select whatever packages to install/remove/etc.
>> 3. Click "Next"
>> 4. Have the Pending view show up in order to review whatever is going
>> to be installed.
>> 5. Have the option to Approve / Cancel / Go Back

I like this scenario

> I am perfectly happy with the current Setup; however I would
> be surprised if the typical user did not launch Setup mainly
> to update packages already installed.

The be surprised.  I typically don't run setup unless I need something
new.  I might update once a year.

> Accordingly, Pending is the logical view to show first.

Says you, but I don't agree.  It's confusing.