* Cygwin Exim
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 Aldon Hynes
From: Aldon Hynes @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been trying to get exim to run as a service under Windows 2000, using
cygrunsrv.  I found a set of mails on an Exim mailing list from back in 2001
that you had spoken about ways to get this to work.  (ref:
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011119/032420.html
and following)  I've tried changing the /etc/services both in cygwin and in
Windows to have just a single tab.  This hasn't produced any affect.  I've
tried using the -oX 25 option.  When I add that option, I get IPv4 socket
creation failed: Operation not permitted.

I am wondering if either of you have ideas about how to get this to work.
It runs fine when started from the command line, but just won't start as a
service.

Aldon

* Re: Cygwin Exim
@ 2003-01-13  3:30   ` Greg Matheson
From: Greg Matheson @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> > http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011119/032420.html

> The -oX 25 works fine here (WinME). At any rate you don't need it,
> 25 is the default

> I am not sure what you mean about "single tab" and why you want
> to change /etc/services.

He was reading some advice to Gerrit Haase to put tabs instead of
spaces in /etc/services to get exim working on cygwin.

--
Greg Matheson                Those who can do.
Chinmin College              Those who can't operate.

* Re: Cygwin Exim
@ 2003-01-13  3:30 ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2003-01-13  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldon Hynes, cygwin

What exim are you using? Is it the precompiled version from
the cygwin distribution or a self-built version?

If you download the distribution version (with setup, look in the
Mail category) and run "exim-config" you will be offered the
option to start a service.

The -oX 25 works fine here (WinME). At any rate you don't need it,
25 is the default

I am not sure what you mean about "single tab" and why you want
to change /etc/services.

Pierre

At 12:58 PM 1/12/2003 +0100, Aldon Hynes wrote:
>I've been trying to get exim to run as a service under Windows 2000, using
>cygrunsrv.  I found a set of mails on an Exim mailing list from back in 2001
>that you had spoken about ways to get this to work.  (ref:
>http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011119/032420.html
>and following)  I've tried changing the /etc/services both in cygwin and in
>Windows to have just a single tab.  This hasn't produced any affect.  I've
>tried using the -oX 25 option.  When I add that option, I get IPv4 socket
>creation failed: Operation not permitted.
>
>I am wondering if either of you have ideas about how to get this to work.
>It runs fine when started from the command line, but just won't start as a
>service.
>
>Aldon
>

>--

* Re: Cygwin Exim
@ 2003-01-15  4:16     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-01-15  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aldon Hynes, cygwin

Hallo Greg,

Am Montag, 13. Januar 2003 um 00:44 schriebst du:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>> > http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011119/032420.html

>> The -oX 25 works fine here (WinME). At any rate you don't need it,
>> 25 is the default

>> I am not sure what you mean about "single tab" and why you want
>> to change /etc/services.

> He was reading some advice to Gerrit Haase to put tabs instead of
> spaces in /etc/services to get exim working on cygwin.

Yes, but that was not my problem and it didn't solved it.
Unfortunately I cannot say what went wrong with my handcrafted
build, I used some command line switches more than usual and
some special configuration settings (hardcoded IP addresses
without DNS lookups) and then it worked for me.  Probably not
the fault of Exim, but my domain setup.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Cygwin Exim
@ 2003-01-15  4:23       ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2003-01-15  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> > He was reading some advice to Gerrit Haase to put tabs instead of
> > spaces in /etc/services to get exim working on cygwin.
>
> Yes, but that was not my problem and it didn't solved it.
> Unfortunately I cannot say what went wrong with my handcrafted
> build,

That's history, not worth worrying about. The /etc/services file on
Windows can contain spaces. I wish messages with incorrect advice could
be purged!
Aldon's problem was due to running exim as a non-sufficiently privileged
exim user (details still missing). He is OK running as system.

Pierre